wtbuild questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ak2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey everybody i have a 2002 2500 5.9 auto 4x4 with 70k on it. thats low to me and i plan on keeping the truck for a while so i was looking at doing some upgrades and had some questions. ive searched around and found some answers and not found some so i thought id ask. already has a jet chip and flowmaster muffler. k&n intake on order.

interested in underdrive pulleys and have heard they dont realy do much and lag your electrical and can cause overheating at idle. but then ive heard they can make 10-15 hp. do i need a different belt since they are smaller or does the idler make up for it? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mch-10500-08/applications

ive heard good things about hemifever sctdcx 3200 x3 tuner, it says it can hold 10 custom tunes and the stock tune. but does it only come with three? because it says it comes with a 87 91 and 93 oct tunes.i dont wanna pay 150 per tune.for 395 i kinda want to have more options and im going to call them when i have time just thought id ask what everyone thought. SCT | SCT 3200 | SCT DCX | SCT Dodge

Harland Sharp Original Roller Rockers S70037. i ve heard these are the second best thing other than installing a cam. for $350 im interested, found a write up and they seem easy enough just pop ur covers an unscrew the old and screw the new right? no timing or other major complications?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/csp-s70037/applications/make/dodge/year/2002/engine-size/5-9l-360

found some shorty headers and i like the price, even if i have to repaint with high temp paint before install.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9045/?image=large

those are the things im looking at ordering here in the next couple days. someday id like a Hughes FI AirGap intake. sounds better than a m1. but 600 is a lil spendy and i wanna research a lil more on install.
would also like a fastman tb 2.030 bore "52mm" TB, for 225 sounds like a great deal if he gets back to business soon.

any advice on these and/or other performance is greatly appreciated!!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Don't know enough about the pulleys to put a statement out there.

The SCTs come with 3 tunes, yes. The $150 per tune extra is for CUSTOM tunes if you're running a cam or boost. *old man moment* I remember the days when you paid $265 for the tuner and 3 canned tunes. Damn SCT x3! *old man moment done now*

HS1.7s are awesome. And it pretty much is that easy. If you can change valve cover gaskets in a reasonable time manner, you can install these rockers. Just follow the instructions, have a good torque wrench on hand and you're good.

I would have directed you to the Pacesetter website in their garage sale section for some blemished headers, but they are out of ones for Rams. Oh well. Ceramic coated headers from a GOOD brand are going to be your best bet because the welds like cracking 6months to a year after installing them.

The Mopar M1 is going to be an easier install than the Airgap and it behaves better with a more stock engine than the Airgap. Besides, the Airgap is a carb manifold adapted for MPFI. The M1 is a designated MPFI intake manifold for the Magnum engines in the Dodge trucks.

Fastman should be back to business soon, I think his website mentioned something about being back on the 16th. You might also check ebay. There is a seller by the name of 1999blkdak that cuts stock throttle bodies in 50mm and I believe he has started cutting them in 52 as of late. Used to make a kickass plenum plate but has ceased production of those. :(

The Jet Chip has likely already been overridden by the PCM.

For exhaust, make sure your cat is in good shape until you get headers and a replacement intake on it. They like clogging up when the plenums go out.

Also make sure your ignition components are up to par for everything and you might as well service the transmission.

Welcome to RF and best of luck with your parts hunting and build.

OP
OP
ak2500

ak2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
found these
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-91945-1flt/overview/year/2002/make/dodge/model/ram-2500
ive never heard of flowtech... but there ceramic. r they good im new to the quality game, clearly i got a jet...

as far as the ignition ive done plugs n wires very recently what else?
can i just have the cat taken out? i thought there was a o2 sensor or something that causes problems if u do.
i plan on doing a tranny flush n filter but im not the guy to pop that sucker apart.. flush should be good right? i havnt felt any problems with it.

also found these, going to do them with the rockers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5007617

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Don't have any experience with them so I can't say if the welds will crack or not. It really is gonna depend on how much money you want to save upfront, only to spend it later.

Doug Thorley, Gibson, JBA and Pacesetter (only in ceramic flavor) are the best out there.

Distributor cap and rotor as well. Also need to make sure you route the wires per the TSB: TSB 18-48-98

You can. The PCM might pop a PO420 code. Some do, some don't. You'll still have enough back pressure going on since you have the FM back there.
Ultimately, both O2 sensors need to remain in the pipe. Upstream especially since that's what the PCM uses to control fuel trims when warmed up.

Transmission flush is a no-no unless it's been done every 30k mi since new. Just dump the fluid and change the filter. You should delete the transmission cooler check valve as well: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dodge+ram+transmission+cooler+check+valve+delete&spell=1

You'll have to idle the truck in neutral for a few seconds if it's sat over night, but the peace of mind it offers is awesome. Still something I need to do. :(

And Mopar valve covers are always awesome. lol Make sure you check eBay and even CL to see if there are any new/used for less.

I know I found some Mopar valve covers for a 383/400/440 for sale locally for 75 bucks....would have looked nice on the 76, but dad wouldn't have any of it. :(

OP
OP
ak2500

ak2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ahhh dam. knew it would be the more expensive one. well i got the valve covers, the m1, the roller rockers, the sct tuner and these jba headers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5007852/applications/make/dodge?prefilter=1 in my cart. is there anything else u suggest besides the fastman tb?

only reason im ordering everything at once is ill be going to work at a mine and outta town for a week then a day off then a week and so on.. but i want some cool stuff to do to my truck on my day off.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You've got a good start.

Need a tuner then you're set for a while.

OP
OP
ak2500

ak2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
right on thx for the advice. ill be happy when i can post pics and stuff in the sticky thread. take it easy.

OP
OP
ak2500

ak2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ahhh **** im bad with computers. spend a long time price matching m1 intake, install kit, gaskets and stuff, ordered it. then i find a total deal kit with Intake Manifold, Gaskets, Fasteners, Water Neck, By-Pass Hose, Thermostat & Installation Kit, everything i need. now i get to call jegs in the morning and explain my stupidity ha.

but at least the balls rolling on that and i already ordered rockers, headers, k&n and valve covers.
now to order the tuner.