Yakima Overhaul HD with Tepui Rooftop Tent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrider4life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently installed a Yakima Overhaul HD bed rack and put a Tepui Ruggedized Kukenam 3 on top of my truck.

This is a short write up as I couldn't find a ton of info on the rack and rooftop tent when I first decided this is what I wanted. I would be happy to answer any questions any of you have. Other photos can be taken and added upon request. I would also like to see anyone else that has a similar setup as I am always looking to add more items to the rack.

PART BREAKDOWN:

- Yakima Overhaul HD ($700)
- Yakima Crossbars ($200) (Just realize that the Overhaul does not come with crossbars. They must be bought separate from the uprights).
- Yakima Sidebar Rails ($220)
- Yakima Maxtrax Recovery Mounts ($110)
- Thule Tepui Ruggedized Kukenam Rooftop Tent ($2,300)
- Thule Tepui Annex room ($340)
- Xbull recovery tracks (approx $80)
- Offroading Gear Awning with front shade ($280)
- Yakima fishing pole/snowboard rack (approx $200)

INSTALLATION:

Overall it was a very easy install. It took me around 3 hours to set everything up the way I wanted it. The bed rack easy, but during the install process the only thing that worried me was how thin the metal is on the bed rails. It doesn't seem like it will be a problem any time soon, but over time I would be worried about it cracking or bending.

The tent was easy as well. The instructions were very laid out.

It's definitely easier doing this with help from someone else. I did the rack by myself and although it wasn't hard, an additional hand would have made it much easier. Putting the tent on the rack is nearly impossible without help. Its just over 100 pounds and is awkward to lift alone. I recommend getting help to lift it so you don't scratch the bed sides if it slips from your grip.

The awning and other accessories is a simple install. Took me about 20 minutes to put all of them on.

USE/ CAMPING:

Taking the tent out and storing it is a breeze. It takes about 20 minutes to setup my whole truck when i get where I am staying. The tent mattress is my only complaint. It is stiffer then a rock. Its about two and a half inches of foam. The tent is very dark inside which makes sleeping in very easy during the day.

WHATS TO COME:

At some point I want to add scene lights to go under the awning. Probably some rigid pods.

A dual battery system with a solar panel setup will be a must. Although I have no experience with any of that, therefore any recommendations would be appreciated.

New front and rear bumpers are on my list as well. Something with a winch on the front and a 40 inch light bar mounting spot would be great, although I haven't been able to find one yet. I have a 40 inch light bar and don't want to buy another one at this time to replace it.

Rock sliders are also on the list but i will probably fabricate my own.

A high lift mount will be added to the rack at some point, as well as a shovel and ax mount.

OVERALL:

I'm happy with the build so far. I wanted a larger tent but unfortunately this was the only one I could get my hands on within 30 days. It will do for now.

Feel free to leave questions, comments, or your own build below.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty damn cool!!! A setup like this would have me camping every weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk