You have to wonder why

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If FCA decided to build something like this, I would be first in line to buy one.
newramcharger2.png

But he sad fact is, THEY WON'T. If they did decided to bring the RAMCHARGER back it would be a 4 door abomination that nobody wants. The only change I would make was to make the top 100% removable like the Ramchargers of the 70s to make it a full convertible vehicle.

You have to wonder what killed the Ramcharger, Blazer, and Bronco. It was because the left the original design concept and soon the tops were not removable. It was not longer a fun, vehicle, nobody wanted it.
Now Ford is bring back the Bronco and it is a throwback to the fun vehicle of the 70s.
Why can't FCA see the light?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If FCA decided to build something like this, I would be first in line to buy one.
newramcharger2.png

But he sad fact is, THEY WON'T. If they did decided to bring the RAMCHARGER back it would be a 4 door abomination that nobody wants. The only change I would make was to make the top 100% removable like the Ramchargers of the 70s to make it a full convertible vehicle.

You have to wonder what killed the Ramcharger, Blazer, and Bronco. It was because the left the original design concept and soon the tops were not removable. It was not longer a fun, vehicle, nobody wanted it.
Now Ford is bring back the Bronco and it is a throwback to the fun vehicle of the 70s.
If they made one today, it would be a unibody design front wheel drive/AWD on a mini-van platform with a 4cyl, optional V6. I'd rather it just remain dead.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Probably right on all accounts above. It would end up unibody, and they would have to choose one group to build to. Either the ones that think they need a full glass ceiling (and then never sit in it and stare at the night sky like a commercial) or those that want to take the top off and actually drive it like that. I remember so much fun in the old Broncos, Blazers, and Ramchargers. Guess we have to just keep resurrecting the old ones.

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The most popular were the 70s Ramchargers with the removable steel top. They were a shorter wheel base and has a tighter turning circle than a SWB pickup truck. And yet it could service as a 1/2 ton pickup in most respects also. Real versatility. Unfortunately they also made ideal trail rigs. So most ended up beat to hell and junked when they breathed their last.

_Ramcharger_topless_SUV_at_2015_Macungie_show_2of2.jpg

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It took an overhead winch system, or 4 drunk buddies to get those heavy ass fiberglass half tops off though .... But once they were off, they were a riot !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I took my top off by loosening the bolts and standing on the rear seat. Put back against the roof and pushing up. I then slowly pushed up and back until it was resting near the heater point. I then push it up to an angle that hit my saw horses. I then had two poles the kept the front up and dove out. Then lowered it down.

The roof on a Ramcharger/Trailduster was steel. When you took it off it made the rig faster. My TD had the part time kit and it wouldn't spin a tire with the top on. Take the top off and burnouts were a throttle blip away.

The Ramcharger went from the full removable top to the non removable in 81. It was due to safety regulations. The Bronco kept the half top til 93 when I think it could no longer be removed and died in 95 I believe.

The Ramcharger died in 93...but a 2wd version was built in Mexico on the 2nd gen platform.

People ruined these. Look at wrangler. The biggest seller is the 4 door. Thankfully they still make the 2 door...but barely.

The wagonner twins will be bringing the Durango back to BOF. But doubt a 2 door version will be seen.

I want a 2 door RAM Charger in the worst way. I hope lots of people buy the Bronco in 2 door...but they won't.

One can hope.

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I still have the '85 I bought in '99. But I searched for a pop top in good shape for years before that. I had to give up.
As fate would have it my brother found a '79 Ramcharger in descent shape in Florida and made a deal for $1500. I trailered it home last year.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
newramcharger2.png

If they built one like this they might be able to keep me as a customer but like another person stated that most likely it will be an abomination.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I love the look of that in the OP. But I’ll tell you why they won’t: for the same reason four door trucks have taken over. People value those doors and a two door vehicle has limited appeal.

Me, as a case in point: I’m mulling over the purchase of a new Jeep JL. And I love the looks of a two door. Love the maneuverability. I love saving money.
But when I get right down to it I’ll almost certainly spend the extra and get 4 doors. Because occasionally, the extra space is useful. And frequently, my dogs ride along, and they’re accustomed to having their own window to enjoy. Most customers do the same.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Younger people look at a back seat, and four doors differently. Since airbags, they all ride in the back until they are 10 - 12 years old.

Look at the number of Porches on the road with four doors. When those were introduced, I would have thought that no one would buy one.

With Jeep being part of the family, adding a Ramcharger would likely cannibalize Jeep sales, with little total gain. Not worth the effort. Back in the day, Jeeps rode terrible, cloth tops leaked, they were cold, no real windows, underpowered... They are much more gentrified now.