Zf transmission fluid and maintenance information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I know I'm late to the party here, but...

What a stupid argument. All of this crap could be avoided if ZF would put a plug for a dipstick above an open spot in the pan.

Maybe I'll drill a diagonal hole in my fill plug and install a flexible dipstick. Lokar makes a 36" one that can be marked.

Is that ZF Lifeguard8 really so sensitive to temps that it expands that much at those low temps? Wouldn't that make it explode out of the bottles in the back of a semi trailer or sitting on a shipping doc in the middle of summer? How different can the clutches, steels, bushings, seals, solenoids be in ZF transmissions? Aren't all the components made here on Earth from common sourced materials? What happens if I put Alto clutches in mine? Should I use Tractor Supply hydraulic oil? All the LS racers do, and they don't have issues.

Chrysler and ZF don't care about you or how long your transmission lasts, their only concern is extracting maximum profit from you.

Academics stare at a bunch of specs and licensing requirements then scream about fluid not carrying a license number but don't ever think about how fluid makers can't offer lower priced products if they PAY FCA FOR THEIR TESTING. The fluid can meet specs without carrying a license, it's physically possible.

Your fabulous German transmission was NOT made on another planet and neither was the fluid.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I know I'm late to the party here, but...

What a stupid argument. All of this crap could be avoided if ZF would put a plug for a dipstick above an open spot in the pan.

Maybe I'll drill a diagonal hole in my fill plug and install a flexible dipstick. Lokar makes a 36" one that can be marked.

Is that ZF Lifeguard8 really so sensitive to temps that it expands that much at those low temps? Wouldn't that make it explode out of the bottles in the back of a semi trailer or sitting on a shipping doc in the middle of summer? How different can the clutches, steels, bushings, seals, solenoids be in ZF transmissions? Aren't all the components made here on Earth from common sourced materials? What happens if I put Alto clutches in mine? Should I use Tractor Supply hydraulic oil? All the LS racers do, and they don't have issues.

Chrysler and ZF don't care about you or how long your transmission lasts, their only concern is extracting maximum profit from you.

Academics stare at a bunch of specs and licensing requirements then scream about fluid not carrying a license number but don't ever think about how fluid makers can't offer lower priced products if they PAY FCA FOR THEIR TESTING. The fluid can meet specs without carrying a license, it's physically possible.

Your fabulous German transmission was NOT made on another planet and neither was the fluid.
A diagonal hole in the fill plug isn't going to do much,as far as letting you check the fluid level.A 45 degree hole might work.Lokar dipsticks have a straight end on them,that doesn't bend,so diagonal isn't going to work.I run a custom 31" long Lokar engine dipstick,and it would need an angled hole in the fill plug to actually work as a transmission dipstick on the 8 speed

Attachments

• DSCN3790.JPG
    DSCN3790.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 5

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yep, angled is what I mean. I've been looking at the case for possible options. I'll have to pull the pan and see if there is any space where a straight dip stick could go in from the top or if there is any way to add a small kick out to a PPE pan. I'm committed to finding a way to simplify the fluid checks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yep, angled is what I mean. I've been looking at the case for possible options. I'll have to pull the pan and see if there is any space where a straight dip stick could go in from the top or if there is any way to add a small kick out to a PPE pan. I'm committed to finding a way to simplify the fluid checks.
Once you have the level set ,you shouldn't need to check it again till your next fluid swap.The transmissions don't have a rep of leaking fluid,and if they do,you're still going to have to pull the level check plug to add fluid to it,after you fix the leak.Your not going to pour much fluid down a Lokar dipstick,at least not easily,lol.The fluid level is above the pan rail,so adding a kick-out to the PPE pan isn't going to do much for checking the fluid level.You'd need to weld an angled extension onto the fill plug,that'd accept the flexible dipsticks bottem end,and have some way of attaching it,so it wouldn't work it's way out,then you'd have to make the dipstick removable to be able to take the fill plug out to add fluid.That would give you one more leak point.This is another idea where i think you might be over thinking it,lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The Germans live in a silo, as do the Japanese. They make some fabulous stuff, but then do things that only an insular organization could. My Japanese Engine Oil Drain Bolt is 17mm diameter. For a 24hp compact tractor engine. Because somebody's calc sheet said so (plus design margin). No experience or reasonableness, or standardization of fastener sizes ever considered.

And this is a typical example. I can just hear the ZF German Designer thinking this transmission is so good you never have to change oil. And even if so, only an overly-trained professional should ever even breath on it.

Americans do dumb things, like let psychopathic CEO's run companies, but they do get the basics right. I saw this a lot during my career with German & Japanese supplied equipment.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Once you have the level set ,you shouldn't need to check it again till your next fluid swap.The transmissions don't have a rep of leaking fluid,and if they do,you're still going to have to pull the level check plug to add fluid to it,after you fix the leak.Your not going to pour much fluid down a Lokar dipstick,at least not easily,lol.The fluid level is above the pan rail,so adding a kick-out to the PPE pan isn't going to do much for checking the fluid level.You'd need to weld an angled extension onto the fill plug,that'd accept the flexible dipsticks bottem end,and have some way of attaching it,so it wouldn't work it's way out,then you'd have to make the dipstick removable to be able to take the fill plug out to add fluid.That would give you one more leak point.This is another idea where i think you might be over thinking it,lol
Yes, I am aware of all of this. If I add a raised kickout to the pan the fluid will come up to where it should be at all points on the pan, including the raised kickout area with a fill tube. Sometimes I just like to get drunk and check my fluids.

My roller cam 400ci SBC powered Geo Metro does 1.40 60 foot times, and that is slow. I do what I want. I could use a length of -8AN line for the dipstick and fill tube, and I think I've got about 10ft of it leftover from another project. Regardless, I'm going to find a way to casually check that fluid level because I want to. Ain't got no wife or kids, so this is what I do.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes, I am aware of all of this. If I add a raised kickout to the pan the fluid will come up to where it should be at all points on the pan, including the raised kickout area with a fill tube. Sometimes I just like to get drunk and check my fluids.

My roller cam 400ci SBC powered Geo Metro does 1.40 60 foot times, and that is slow. I do what I want. I could use a length of -8AN line for the dipstick and fill tube, and I think I've got about 10ft of it leftover from another project. Regardless, I'm going to find a way to casually check that fluid level because I want to. Ain't got no wife or kids, so this is what I do.
Keep us updated on how you make out then.Personally it's not that hard to check the level in my opinion,but i see your point.FYI you need the transmissions pan rail level to do an accurate check,which entails jacking the rear tires off the ground a fair ways,so you'll have to factor that into your equation when you're building a dipstick tube for the transmission.These are the factory ZF instructions that come with a brand new 8 speed (not a rebuilt,lol)

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 7

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Keep us updated on how you make out then.Personally it's not that hard to check the level in my opinion,but i see your point.FYI you need the transmissions pan rail level to do an accurate check,which entails jacking the rear tires off the ground a fair ways,so you'll have to factor that into your equation when you're building a dipstick tube for the transmission.These are the factory ZF instructions that come with a brand new 8 speed (not a rebuilt,lol)

Right?? So yeah, my plan, if I find a good way to do this, is to jack the truck up, make sure the trans is level, and then fill until I get to the hole, then mark the stick at that spot when I know it is at the perfect temperature and level.

Why in the world would they make this so such a pain??? Stupid! Maybe I wanna change my fluid once a week? Not up to them, I'm the customer. Actually FCA is, LOL!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Right?? So yeah, my plan, if I find a good way to do this, is to jack the truck up, make sure the trans is level, and then fill until I get to the hole, then mark the stick at that spot when I know it is at the perfect temperature and level.

Why in the world would they make this so such a pain??? Stupid! Maybe I wanna change my fluid once a week? Not up to them, I'm the customer. Actually FCA is, LOL!
After burning up one 8 speed,i now change the fluid on a yearly basis in my toy.The PPE pan makes it easy to drop the fluid and swap out the replacable filter it uses.I figure it's easier to bite off a couple hundred dollar fluid change,then it is to bite off another expensive transmission,plus it's alot less labour.Swapping the 8 speed on a 4X4 on my driveway,isn't as much fun as it used to be in my younger days,lol

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I applaud your mission to simplify the fluid change/check. I have a small motorhome based on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. The transmission in that is fairly simple to service. There is a tube that goes down from the top of the engine to the transmission and uses a flexible dipstick. The dipstick is not left in the tube - it's only used to check level. The dipstick also does not bottom out on the top of the tube - it stops at the bottom of the pan. The tube is big enough to fill the fluid and there is a lockable cap on the tube.

Maybe you could develop a system similar to this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007