Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D

This is a discussion on Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Originally Posted by jwithing just checked your site out.... You guys should make a larger oem replacent radiator for the ...

Like Tree63Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by jwithing View Post
just checked your site out.... You guys should make a larger oem replacent radiator for the 1500. They're undersized and there's interest for larger, but nobody seems to make one.
^^^^^this!!!!!!
Ajwalk2008 and Trapinator like this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Redline 5w30/Royal Purple 20-820 Filter, Redline C+, Redline Gear Oil, Diablo Trinity w/Hemifever 89 Tune, BT Catch Can, Mufflex 24, Rancho QLL, Airlift 1000, Cooper Discoverer AT3s, Mag-Hytec Trans Pan, OEM Backup Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, Extang Trifecta SS, Clazzio Seat Covers, Cabin Air Filter, Weathertech Floorliners, 35% tint, Gorilla Lugs, Nasta Stainless Running Boards
Hemi395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Originally Posted by Jwithing View Post
Out of curiosity, what made you all want to get into catch cans? Do you think your design is better? Cheaper?

I'd recommend giving a few units away to forum members that are willing to compare them against other cans that they are currently running, with pics and reviews of course.

I've gotta billet can and would be willing to do a comparison.
Our direct fit catch can line has proven to be very effective on a wide array of different vehicles and engines, so we wanted to see what we could do with the Ram. It was easy to do testing because an employee drives the truck to work everyday and does a lot of long distance driving, a perfect candidate. When we saw just how much blow-by we were getting, we couldn't ignore it.

And that's an interesting idea! I'll look into what we can do.

Originally Posted by Jwithing View Post
Just checked your site out.... You guys should make a larger oem replacent radiator for the 1500. They're undersized and there's interest for larger, but nobody seems to make one.
Originally Posted by Hemi395 View Post
^^^^^this!!!!!!
Not a bad suggestion guys, we have an OEM replacement, but we don't have a stronger, upgraded aluminum replacement. I'll be sure to make the suggestion to our Market Research team!

Originally Posted by DailyRam View Post
I think you could find a number of people will to support. I have been looking at adding a catch can for some time, i just hadn't landed on a brand/model yet. If there is a "Tester" option, i'd be willing to participate.
Good to know, thanks!

Originally Posted by KCaudill View Post
Can you design one with a drain on the bottom??
We actually sell drain kits separately for you to purchase. With where we are planning to mount this can, it may be tough to route drain lines.

-Diamaan
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine: Hemi 5.7
I've been running a UPR catch can since new...got 6,000 mile on the truck now. It does not catch as much as you show so I would be very interested to compare. I suggest you get a larger capacity on your design!

Old 05-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Sir John View Post
I've been running a UPR catch can since new...got 6,000 mile on the truck now. It does not catch as much as you show so I would be very interested to compare. I suggest you get a larger capacity on your design!
We are actually going to be using a larger capacity can! Our catch can bottom will be larger than our standard capacity 2oz can. We actually had to get a bigger can because the blow-by kept filling up past the baffle. More to come in the next update!

-Diamaan
Hemi395 and SyN like this.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Name: Daniel

Ram Year: 2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine: (2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
will this work on the v6 rams?

RamForum.com Moderator
New Here? Introduce yourself here - Click here to become a Supporting Member - Check out our Preferred Vendors!
2003 1500 HEMI QC Show Truck 5/12 Slam W/ Custom paint
2003 1500 RC Under Construction
2008 2500 6spd HEMI
2013 Ram RC v6 8spd

Demon-HeMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Demon-HeMi View Post
will this work on the v6 rams?
Unfortunately, this kit is specifically designed for the V8 5.7L Hemi engines. If there is enough interest, we could look into a V6 option later on down the road though.

-Diamaan
Hemi395 likes this.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Diamaan, have you looked to see if the Cummins rad you produce will fit the hemi engine bay? I think the models with active shutters might have challenges, but like others have indicated, there is a void in the market for a good aftermarket radiator for the hemi. Sounds like you might already have a test mule in the shop

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab - S&B Intake, Jay Greene Tuned, 34" Nitto CrossTek, Bilstein 5100s set at 2.1, Mevo UCAs, Undercover Flex, Bushwacker OE Flares, iBoard running boards, Ken226 Tow Hook Bracket with Red Tow Hooks.
To Do List - Exhaust, Headers, Rear Sway, Mishimoto CC (pre-ordered), Color matched Rebel Grille (?), too many other ideas to list...
DailyRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Originally Posted by DailyRam View Post
Diamaan, have you looked to see if the Cummins rad you produce will fit the hemi engine bay? I think the models with active shutters might have challenges, but like others have indicated, there is a void in the market for a good aftermarket radiator for the hemi. Sounds like you might already have a test mule in the shop
After speaking with one of our engineers who actually worked on the Cummins radiator, it's tough to say whether it would fit. By looking at the stock radiators side-by-side, it doesn't look like ours would fit in 5.7L.

I can say that I've already forwarded the interest in this thread for an aluminum 5.7L radiator! It's something that we may look into later.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
The radiator in the Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi has core dimensions of 27" wide, 21.5" tall and 1" thick.
The single large radiator in Cummins equipped Rams (FCA went to two radiators in the 2013 MY I believe), has core dimensions of 26.7" wide, by 32.3" tall by 1.6" thick.
Though the width of the two radiators would be similar, the 10" increased height of the Cummins radiator would require either a different radiator support bracket, or some fabrication to be fitted to a 1500. I also believe transmission cooling is incorporated in the Ram 1500 radiator, where in the Cummins (with auto) radiators have separate, large trans coolers mounted in front of the radiator.
The ideal set up would be an all aluminum radiator for the Ram 1500's that fits the factory location, but is multi-core and 2" to 3" inches thick. Offset adaptors, or minor alterations may be needed to mount other pieces such as the shroud, electric fan, and the shutters on a thicker core radiator. And a separate cooler for the transmission would also be needed with appropriate mounting hardware.
Would love to see one tho.

(Hers) 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
tsielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tsielski View Post
The radiator in the Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi has core dimensions of 27" wide, 21.5" tall and 1" thick.
The single large radiator in Cummins equipped Rams (FCA went to two radiators in the 2013 MY I believe), has core dimensions of 26.7" wide, by 32.3" tall by 1.6" thick.
Though the width of the two radiators would be similar, the 10" increased height of the Cummins radiator would require either a different radiator support bracket, or some fabrication to be fitted to a 1500. I also believe transmission cooling is incorporated in the Ram 1500 radiator, where in the Cummins (with auto) radiators have separate, large trans coolers mounted in front of the radiator.
The ideal set up would be an all aluminum radiator for the Ram 1500's that fits the factory location, but is multi-core and 2" to 3" inches thick. Offset adaptors, or minor alterations may be needed to mount other pieces such as the shroud, electric fan, and the shutters on a thicker core radiator. And a separate cooler for the transmission would also be needed with appropriate mounting hardware.
Would love to see one tho.
Thanks for the info!

I spoke with our market research department and they are looking into it.

-Diamaan
Hemi395 likes this.