Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Mishimoto, May 23, 2017.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Hemi395

Hemi395 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    ^^^^^this!!!!!!

Burla, tdog, Trapinator and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mishimoto

Mishimoto Preferred Vendor

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Cummins
    Our direct fit catch can line has proven to be very effective on a wide array of different vehicles and engines, so we wanted to see what we could do with the Ram. It was easy to do testing because an employee drives the truck to work everyday and does a lot of long distance driving, a perfect candidate. When we saw just how much blow-by we were getting, we couldn't ignore it.

And that's an interesting idea! I'll look into what we can do.

Not a bad suggestion guys, we have an OEM replacement, but we don't have a stronger, upgraded aluminum replacement. I'll be sure to make the suggestion to our Market Research team!

Good to know, thanks!

We actually sell drain kits separately for you to purchase. With where we are planning to mount this can, it may be tough to route drain lines.

-Diamaan

3. Sir John

Sir John Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I've been running a UPR catch can since new...got 6,000 mile on the truck now. It does not catch as much as you show so I would be very interested to compare. I suggest you get a larger capacity on your design!

4. Mishimoto

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Cummins
    We are actually going to be using a larger capacity can! Our catch can bottom will be larger than our standard capacity 2oz can. We actually had to get a bigger can because the blow-by kept filling up past the baffle. More to come in the next update!

-Diamaan

Stefan N, SyN and Hemi395 like this.
  5. Demon-HeMi

Demon-HeMi Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
    Engine:
    (2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
    will this work on the v6 rams?

6. Mishimoto

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Cummins
    Unfortunately, this kit is specifically designed for the V8 5.7L Hemi engines. If there is enough interest, we could look into a V6 option later on down the road though.

-Diamaan

Hemi395 likes this.
  7. DailyRam

DailyRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Diamaan, have you looked to see if the Cummins rad you produce will fit the hemi engine bay? I think the models with active shutters might have challenges, but like others have indicated, there is a void in the market for a good aftermarket radiator for the hemi. Sounds like you might already have a test mule in the shop ;)

8. Mishimoto

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Cummins
    After speaking with one of our engineers who actually worked on the Cummins radiator, it's tough to say whether it would fit. By looking at the stock radiators side-by-side, it doesn't look like ours would fit in 5.7L.

I can say that I've already forwarded the interest in this thread for an aluminum 5.7L radiator! It's something that we may look into later.

9. tsielski

tsielski Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    The radiator in the Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi has core dimensions of 27" wide, 21.5" tall and 1" thick.
    The single large radiator in Cummins equipped Rams (FCA went to two radiators in the 2013 MY I believe), has core dimensions of 26.7" wide, by 32.3" tall by 1.6" thick.
    Though the width of the two radiators would be similar, the 10" increased height of the Cummins radiator would require either a different radiator support bracket, or some fabrication to be fitted to a 1500. I also believe transmission cooling is incorporated in the Ram 1500 radiator, where in the Cummins (with auto) radiators have separate, large trans coolers mounted in front of the radiator.
    The ideal set up would be an all aluminum radiator for the Ram 1500's that fits the factory location, but is multi-core and 2" to 3" inches thick. Offset adaptors, or minor alterations may be needed to mount other pieces such as the shroud, electric fan, and the shutters on a thicker core radiator. And a separate cooler for the transmission would also be needed with appropriate mounting hardware.
    Would love to see one tho.

10. Mishimoto

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Cummins
    Thanks for the info!

I spoke with our market research department and they are looking into it.

-Diamaan

Hemi395 likes this.