0w20 will void warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yes! From what I have heard/read over the past 34yrs: The W stands for Winter!
Once at operating temp both oils are basically at the 20wt viscosity.

Some within the oil community have posted evidence showing some 5W (synthetic) oils are actually at a thinner viscosity when compared to some 0W oils.
(This I believe is all depending on the formulation of the oils themselves).

I honestly feel these 2 within the synthetic formulation are so extremely close in cold temp pump ability as well as flow it is mute. Except when the temps get below -15 - I would defiantly run a 0W.

Once again this is all just my opinion/thoughts & experience (Nothing More)!

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Use Amsoil and you won't have any issues. It's good down to -45 degs.

Thanks Don: For sharing that little bit of advice with me!

I personally don't have one single NEED for Amsoil!
I have been using M1 & PP/PUP for many yrs and see NO reason or reasons to change!

Thanks Again
SyN

OP
OP
OFw Kalli

OFw Kalli

Reaction score
Canada -Edmonton/AB, before Germany, Heidelberg
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The old discussion about brand :)
I am absolute sure both (and other high quality brands) are more than extreme good oils.
When we would be hyper mega picky, we should only use what the handbook say.
It say: ".... such as pennzoil, shell helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures"
Means with pennzoil and shell helix, we can not do anything wrong.... or this companies pay the most to be in this handbook lol

OP
OP
OFw Kalli

OFw Kalli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all.

I got a couple days ago an anser baout my Question
"Will 0W20 MS-6395 certificated motor oil void my warranty of my 2017 RAM 1500 Hemi, Vin No xxxx"

Here the answer

We are sorry to learn of any confusion regarding the maintenance requirements of your 2017 Ram 1500. Your vehicle’s owner’s manual provides information regarding oil selection as per the manufacturer’s recommendation on page 624:

Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395.

American Petroleum Institute (API) Engine Oil Identification Symbol
This symbol means that the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API). The manufacturer only recommends API Certified engine oils. This symbol certifies 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 engine oils.

For me is sounds like "put in what you want, but It must meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 and be a API Certified engine oil (0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30)

That means, according this answer I can put in a a MS-6395 and API certified 0W-20 or a 0W-30 (if I found one with MS-6395) without be worried about my warranty.
I am wrong??

Last edited:

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I had a 2014 Dart 2.4 and you were only allowed 0-20 or it would void the warranty. In really cold weather do your motor good and run the 0-20 and don't worry it will not hurt anything including the warranty.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Going to a lower W number will not impact your warranty. Only disadvantage is cost. Dealerships in Alberta offer 0W-20.

5W-20 is rated to -30c, and 0W-20 is rated to -35c. These are operating ratings, not pour ratings.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Hi all.
We are sorry to learn of any confusion regarding the maintenance requirements of your 2017 Ram 1500. Your vehicle’s owner’s manual provides information regarding oil selection as per the manufacturer’s recommendation on page 624:
..I am wrong??

They're just telling you to read the manual, and explaining the standard. Separate statements.

0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30
are not recommended for the 5.7 in the 1500 due to MDS, and may cause a check engine light in a 1500.

0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 is acceptable for the 5.7 2500 and 3500 as they don't have MDS, and may be recommended based GCWR.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'd for sure use 0w20 if I lived in an extreme cold climate like said above. I know I did run it in my Subarus that recommended 0w20, but only when I could get Napa full synthetic 0w20 on sale. Other than that, they saw 5w20 or 5w30. No difference in cold start, fuel economy, etc, but I don't live in extreme climate for the most part. At the end of the day? FCA? Prove I've got 0w20 in the sump of my Ram 1500. Ain't gonna happen. Chances are they wouldn't be able to discern a 0w20 from a 5w20 or 5w30 on a used oil analysis. Most of your 30wt variants shear down to a 20wt anyway.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy 0W-20 and 5w-20 on separate transactions. Copy receipt from 5w-20. Return 5w-20 to the store the next day. Repeat for every oil change. Any oil related warranty issues? "Look here, I have a whole stack of 5w-20 receipts."

LOL

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Show me a dealer that has ever tested oil for API certification before warrantying a part. Nothing personal...and I don't mean to offend. But really...show me one. Unless you really abuse something or have no maint records whatsoever, your dealer will take care of you.

OP
OP
OFw Kalli

OFw Kalli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No idea. But I expect only the worst things from the dealers.
I have in moment not a tiny bit positive experience with Canadian dealers and FCA.
I don't trust nobody anymore in this business. A to long story why.

But maybe as a German (former) quality manager I expect to much.

More and more I will be happy when my warranty is done, then I service my truck by myself and than I know all is done right.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
The answer to the warranty question is found in two words. Required or recommended. Manufacture can "require" a viscosity, but not a brand. Manufacture can recommend a certified oil. They can deny a warranty claim if they believe we did not follow the maintenance requirements. That said, when you dig into a States consumer cases on this subject, you find many consumers win their claim in court. When they show that they were prudent, practical and consistent in their maintenance and show how subjective the maintenance and warranty language is. The court orders the manufacture to repair. Historically, the manufacture knows that it is not practical to deny a claim based on a mild viscosity difference. In some cases, the dealer and FCA do not even ask for proof of service. In others they do. Dealers are not doing lab testing on oil when a warranty claim is made. Yea it is a BS crap shoot. For those that use Redline or Mobil 1 oil at 1000 miles in their 6.4 HD. No MS compliance, but clearly proven to be Tier 1 quality oil. Could FCA deny a cam failure claim because the consumer used RL oil. They could. But we are not seeing wide spread evidence that they are. I would bet that if we could see the whole case picture for this. We would find that there are fewer legitimate warranty rejections than we think.
On this subject, other members have said the approval or denial of a warranty claim begins with the dealer. I would not doubt that. I do believe that we must be aware of how viscosity and engine design effect our choices.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Most dealers are looking to see if the oil is clean or does it look like molasses, and is the factory oil filter still on your 3 year old truck with 80000 miles on it.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Most dealers are looking to see if the oil is clean or does it look like molasses, and is the factory oil filter still on your 3 year old truck with 80000 miles on it.

This right here^^^^^^^^^^^. I was a Snap On dealer for 5 years....Saw a lot of things in my travels in the dealers. The claims I saw denied were outrageous incidents of customer neglect. One example: Major internal engine damage at 30K. Asked customer for maint receipts...Customer replied, "I need to change the oil?" Another example: Corvette with 8k miles on it, 11 months old. Major internal engine damage. Owner had installed performance heads, intake, exhaust, clutch, pulleys, etc. Customer expected parts that weren't factory to be covered.

On the plus side, i saw dealers cover modification-related failures just to keep the customer happy. I saw dealers trade people out of cars because the problems they were complaining about didn't exist anywhere other than their internet-tainted minds.

There are three sides to every story...the consumer, the dealer, and the truth which lies somewhere in the middle, as a norm. i trade my trucks every two years and have never been denied coverage for anything, as long as I did my part.

OP
OP
OFw Kalli

OFw Kalli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ik, some story about my "luck" with dealers
First dealer where I bought my truck - I got promised a 90days payment break, but I never got this. Only a lot of bla bla excuses. I got trouble with the bank because I thought I have this payment brake.
Next - this dealer want to tell me, I need a compete service, maybe 2 weeks after I bought the truck - a brand new truck. Not only an oil change after 1000km - a full service, they told me. Of course not free.
Bye bye first dealer.

Second one.....
I was there to check what's going on with the quality of the service station.
They told me, I need to change everytime my oil after 5000km (3100miles), doesn't matter I haul or tow.
I asked - "why? You know what the handbook say about oil change intervals?"
The Boss of the service crew was confused, he didn't know this. He asked a other guy - you know what is in the handbook?
I left this dealer as fast it was possible.
Soon I try the 3rd dealer for recalls and first service.

About oil change - I was before winter at jiffy lube, got 5w20 pup and checked with eagle eyes all they did.
I drive only around 11000km (6800miles) /year by the way.
I change always my oil before winter and next time I want to have 0w20.
Than, the next oil change after this is not in motor warranty anymore and maybe I will use than a 0W30.
But I have to figure out a good one für the hemi and where I can easy get this. I was always with my Opel cars in germany a fan of mobil 1
We will see.....