35" tires and gearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brennan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 97 ram 1500 and recently installed a 2" leveling kit to fit 35" tires. I was talking with a friend and he was telling me that it could mess with my gearing. I just wanted to know if that will happen or if it's something I shouldn't worry about.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I don't think it will mess with your gearing. The extra rotational weight will probably slow you down and the slower wheel rotation also means your speedometer will read slower than you are actually going. It shouldn't affect your gears though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Pushrod91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will affect gas mileage and will probably kick in n out of OD in the highway. At least mine did. I have 315s. Basicly a 35. I put in 4:56s and it made a huge difference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Pushrod91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh. And I have the same truck. 97 1500 sport. 318

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fear not. Larger tires will not mess with your gearing.

It certainly changes your effective final drive ratio, and I'm sure it made the truck a dog compared to before. I would highly recommend that you replace with 4.56 or 4.88 gears to get that 'pep' back in the truck.

I had 4.56 gears with my 34" tires, and I wish I had gone with 4.88 gears.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Fear not. Larger tires will not mess with your gearing.

It certainly changes your effective final drive ratio, and I'm sure it made the truck a dog compared to before. I would highly recommend that you replace with 4.56 or 4.88 gears to get that 'pep' back in the truck.

I had 4.56 gears with my 34" tires, and I wish I had gone with 4.88 gears.

I think it does mess with your gearing if it ruins your final drive ratio...?

The issue with larger tires is unsprung weight... simply stated , it takes more torque to turn those heavy meats and short of supercharging or other extreme engine mods, gearing is the other viable solution.
Gears are torque multipliers but horsepower drainers...that's why your top end speed goes down without boosting horsepower and rpm in the engine.

2 inch lift for 35's? Wow I remember when it took 5 inches to achieve proper clearance...Has something on these trucks changed with age, or are tires getting smaller?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess I was thinking of mechanically destroying gears by 'messing with'.
Point well taken Okiespaniel, I guess I tried to clarify my point.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I guess I was thinking of mechanically destroying gears by 'messing with'.
Point well taken Okiespaniel, I guess I tried to clarify my point.

You're cool sir...and I was thinking you might be talking about gear life because I was like...huh?

Larger tires do put extra strain on mechanical components...pinion bearings in 9.25 gears are a weak area.