Another Muffler Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The Borla Pro XS sound Perfect for my Hemi. Aggressive when you want and low "Rumble" when you don't. Almost Anything is better than the factory boat anchor.

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I came close to trying a Carven but kept reading reviews that they were too loud and it scared me off . They do sound good in the video clips.

I actually switched from a Flowmaster FLOW FX to a Carven Progressive. Not loud at all. Has a more "robust" tone than the Flowmaster IMHO.

XD_Dan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I installed the Borla XS (40349) about a month ago. It was exactly what I was looking for...a little louder than stock, but with a deeper/mellow tone. After about 1200 miles with the Borla, I have noticed it has gotten a little louder than when I first installed it, but the volume and tone are now right where I want them. The only drawback in cabin noise is when the MDS system is working, but than can be easily remedied by turning MDS off with the gear select buttons on the steering wheel. Frankly, the MDS sound doesnt bother me. The exhaust tone in the cabin more than makes up for it. The increase in in-cabin exhaust sound is barely noticeable while driving slowly though town, but when you mash on the loud peddle....oh yeah! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually switched from a Flowmaster FLOW FX to a Carven Progressive. Not loud at all. Has a more "robust" tone than the Flowmaster IMHO.

MAJ_Charlie.....don't go and tempt me...LOL. I may one day give the Carven a try, but for now the 50HD is hitting all my buttons.

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the Borla XS (40349) about a month ago. It was exactly what I was looking for...a little louder than stock, but with a deeper/mellow tone. After about 1200 miles with the Borla, I have noticed it has gotten a little louder than when I first installed it, but the volume and tone are now right where I want them. The only drawback in cabin noise is when the MDS system is working, but than can be easily remedied by turning MDS off with the gear select buttons on the steering wheel. Frankly, the MDS sound doesnt bother me. The exhaust tone in the cabin more than makes up for it. The increase in in-cabin exhaust sound is barely noticeable while driving slowly though town, but when you mash on the loud peddle....oh yeah! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This seems to be most people's comments about the Pro XS. It's a very nice sounding muffler with a good combination of exterior/interior sound. I would most likely still have it on my truck if the "I think I want something louder" voice in my head had of kept quiet. That lead down the rabbit hole of more mufflers. I also had a Borla on my previous truck for many years so I think that made me want to try something different as well....just to see what else I might like. Turns out I also like the Flowmaster 50HD. Similar loudness as the Pro XS, just a little different tone.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Borla Pro XS is extremely popular. I agree most people' comments are just like what has been mentioned above.

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think your drone problem is two fold. One being the ECO crap reducing it to 4 active cylinders, secondly,the long pile between exhaust and muffler

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think your drone problem is two fold. One being the ECO crap reducing it to 4 active cylinders, secondly,the long pile between exhaust and muffler

I wish it was that simple, but I always deactivate my MDS because I can't stand the constant switching in and out. However, on occasions I forgot to turn it off, I didn't get drone, just a weird gurgling sound as it kicks in and another weird bump sound as it kicks off. I don't consider this drone. Drone to me is a certain frequency that takes over the cab and gets very loud when the engine is under load in the 1600-1700 rpm range that sort of pressurizes my ears. It goes away once I'm out of that rpm range.

I might agree with your statement of the long pipe between the exhaust and muffler. I think this could be some of the culprit.....no disruption in flow to cancel out certain frequencies. I've had mufflers that drone and mufflers that don't. I think the length of the muffler and design of the muffler makes all the difference.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buddy...LOL I had all that in my first post, but it was crazy long so I deleted it. I'll try to give a brief run down of what I've had prior to the Flowmaster 50HD and what I thought of each.

Magnaflow 14":
Good exterior sound, but a bit too smooth/mellow for me. Also interior drone was very noticeable around 1600-1800 rpm and drove me nuts. I had originally wanted an 18", but the muffler shop ordered the wrong one so I decided to try it any way. If the cabin drone had not been so bad I may have kept it.

Borla Pro XS:
My favorite straight thru muffler and was installed free of charge due to the above ordering mistake. Exterior sound is nice and deep, though still a bit too smooth/mellow for me. Interior drone was non-existent. It was very quiet in the cab, though louder than stock, and became really noticeable when hammering it. I only changed this one out because I thought I wanted something louder. The overall exterior loudness seemed very similar to the 14" Magnaflow to me. Great muffler and a solid choice for someone wanting a quiet cabin and a nice deep rumble on the outside that won't **** off the neighbors.

Spintech 9000XL:
Got this one because I wanted some more noise....and noise was what I got. This is the first chambered-like muffler I installed and is a very high quality muffler. The exterior sound was different than the MF and Borla....a little more choppy, aggressive (less smooth/mellow), but the interior drone was deafening between 1600-1800 rpm. It quieted down below and above that range, but unfortunately I am in the rpm band a lot during my commute. This muffler came off after 2 weeks and was the one that changed my mind on wanting a really loud muffler. Cold starts in the morning were very loud. Looking back I would have been better off trying their 3000XL muffler.

Black Widow Venom 250:
Had high hopes for this one after reading reviews and listening to youtube vids. Exterior tone was kind of between the Magnaflow and Spintech....more aggressive than MF and a little louder, but less aggressive than the Spintech. Interior sound was quieter than the Spintech.....reminded me of the 14" Magnaflow with the same level of cabin drone. It was also a little louder outside the truck than I wanted.

Solo Performance Mach 44 (muffler only):
This is the quietest muffler I installed. Nice quality muffler with a nice deep exterior sound...though on the smooth/mellow quiet side. Exterior sound is one notch louder than stock. Interior sound is nice and quiet with no drone at any rpm. Very satisfied with this muffler until about 2000 miles. The tone changed a little after break-in and when I would go through the gears in a spirited manor, I got this weird sound during shifts. Can't really explain it, if just didn't sound right to me. Otherwise I think this is a great option for those looking for something a little louder than stock and not wanting any drone.

Currrent Muffler: Flowmaster 50HD:
See above firsts post for comments. So far really like the tone of this muffler....deep, medium loud on the outside, and relatively quiet on the inside. Not as smooth/mellow sounding as the straight thru mufflers with a bit more volume at idle and a more aggressive sound.

From the list of mufflers I've had/have, I like the Flowmaster 50HD best, followed by the Borla Pro XS as a close second.

If I had to rank them quietest to loudest (external noise) it would be: Mach 44, Borla Pro XS, Flowmaster 50HD, 14" MF (though I would say not much louder than the 50HD), Venom 250, and Spintech 9000XL.

If I had to rank them quietest to loudest (internal noise) it would be: Mach 44 (no drone), Borla Pro XS (no drone), Flowmaster 50HD (no drone with 4" tips, slight drone with 5" tips) tie between 14" MF and Venom 250 (drone), and Spintech 9000 XL (lots of drone).

Hope this helps.
I use Flowmaster 40. Having tried several other brands like the 40 the best. Have used it, or variations of it on 13 different trucks/cars. With the exception of a 44 I put on a 4.7L Dakota Quad cab, just like the 40 sound the best. Had one on a Rumble Bee that was a perfect match in sound to what the truck 'looked' like in real life. Found Magnflow seem to have a tinny sound at lower and upper rev range, Borla has too much interior rumble, an awkard sound. Anyway, Flowmaster it is.

cobra_pr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thank you very much for the information I really like finally buy a borla pro XS clip xs pro and now I'm looking for a better price in carvenya tips that order a laramie 2019 sport and I love them black but the cost is 229 and the truth is too much money would pay less of 200 if anyone knows any discount please let me know please. I come from a Ram 2017 with the MF 18 and the truth of the sound between 1600-1800 rpm makes me crazy for that reason and I bought the tassel even though my bus has not arrived yet.

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thank you very much for the information I really like finally buy a borla pro XS clip xs pro and now I'm looking for a better price in carvenya tips that order a laramie 2019 sport and I love them black but the cost is 229 and the truth is too much money would pay less of 200 if anyone knows any discount please let me know please. I come from a Ram 2017 with the MF 18 and the truth of the sound between 1600-1800 rpm makes me crazy for that reason and I bought the tassel even though my bus has not arrived yet.

I bet you'll find the internal noise from the Borla much better than the MF you had on your old truck. Check out Ebay for the Carven tips. There are some sellers that will let you make an offer. May be able to get them less than $200. Also Nick at GotExhaust usually has discount pricing on Carven items.

DeeZee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I had the Borla 40349 installed a couple days ago and I get drone on the freeway. Truck is stock other than level. Nobody else is experiencing that? Dual out side of muffler is 2.5" diameter while our pipes are 2.25" on that side. Didnt have clamps or adapters so guy at the shop just welded a thick bead around it...could that be causing sound to resonate back and create drone?

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ No. The welds will not cause drone. Many mufflers drone. Mufflex sells a kit to combat this.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
My Carven Progressive has been great so far. No complaints from the neighbors on those 5:00am cold starts. All kinds of compliments from other drivers, with other brands of mufflers. I love the “Roar” when I get into it. I’ve owned a lot of different mufflers on multiple vehicles over the last 4 decades and I think this Carven is my favorite.

Same here, I've had a couple of neighbors say they've heard it in the morning, but they are also quick to say it sounds good LOL.

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I had the Borla 40349 installed a couple days ago and I get drone on the freeway. Truck is stock other than level. Nobody else is experiencing that? Dual out side of muffler is 2.5" diameter while our pipes are 2.25" on that side. Didnt have clamps or adapters so guy at the shop just welded a thick bead around it...could that be causing sound to resonate back and create drone?

Sorry you're having drone. I didn't have any noticeable drone with the Borla....maybe a slight bit if loading the engine going up a hill in 6-7 gear, but I really had to focus to hear it (with radio off). For me it was a very quiet inside the cabin muffler compared to some of the others I had.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm running the flowmaster 40 series on my truck. Love the sound. Removing resonators this week. More because I ruined my rear bumper on a hydrant and can only find reasonably priced non-exhaust cut out bumpers lol.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ Check the "For Sale" section. From time to time members have them for sale here.
Jay

Bnichols30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a pypes on my 17 ram with the hemi and I absolutely love it. Paired with a injen cold air intake and it sounds amazing in my opinion

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I thought I'd share thoughts on another muffler swap in case anyone is interested. I may have a muffler problem....LOL. I'm on my 6th muffler since owning my truck (April 2018). Not sure why I keep changing except I keep looking for a certain sound and each time I put a muffler on, it's not quite what I'm looking for...either too loud, not loud enough, too much drone, not the right tone, etc.

I just installed a Flowmaster 50HD a week ago.....perfect. I did not get the direct fit model since I've already had different size mufflers welded in and the direct fit would no longer be direct fit since my piping has been altered and I don't have clamps. I had initially stayed away from Flowmaster since everyone says they don't flow well, but every time I heard a sound clip of the 50HD, I really liked it. Most reviews were positive as well. So, I took the chance and installed one. Initial drive back to work was very positive. It sounds really good, and the cabin noise is minimal. It's a little more aggressive sounding and less smooth/mellow....just the sound I had in my head. Never thought it was the Flowmaster sound I was after, but I guess it was.

Well, after a week of driving around, I decided to swap out my Moe's 5" tips and go back to my stock tips as I was getting a bit of a hollow gurgle sound with the larger tips. POW....instant improvement in the sound. The sound tightened up with the stock tips (no more hollow gurgle) and the small amount of interior drone I had is now gone. I had no idea going back to the smaller tips would make so much difference. I don't recall that much difference going the from the stock tips to the Moe's except for getting a deeper tone and slightly more volume, but it was with a different muffler.

Anyway, I'm very impressed so far with the Flowmaster 50HD. Overall loudness is just right for me and interior sound is quiet. The exterior tone is just what I was looking for. My throttle response seems a bit better and low end torque seems to be slightly better as well. No real measurements, just what it feels like compared to what it was with other mufflers. Hopefully this will be my last muffler....at least until it rusts out. I'm in GA so hopefully it will last a while.

Installed a Flowmaster 50HD (3" SI/SO) a couples of days ago and I have to admit that I'm impress. Very quiet on the highway(no drone), sound mean when you get on it, have a nice idle and cold start are not as brutal as the free flowing mufflers I had.

What I like about the 50HD is that the sound will always stay the same. My favorite muffler was the 22" Magnaflow, but it got much louder over time and started to drone (packing crapped out?).

Also noticed that I gain some torque back down low

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My favorite muffler was the 22" Magnaflow, but it got much louder over time and started to drone (packing crapped out?).

Also noticed that I gain some torque back down low

That's what I like about my ProXS...I plan to take Borla up on its million-mile warranty if it ever does that!

TXCOMT