Big Announcement 8-17-2020. Hell Cat Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I was checking in with my old peeps...https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/2nd-gen-raptor-resale-value-after-trx-release.78136/

there is a lot of hate... 17 pages worth!

I had a raptor back in 2013 when I got the hundred thousand miles on it, I was looking to get a new one and then watch the video on Power Wagon and I was hooked, since then, they did not come out with a v8 in the second GEN. And there was no going back for me. But I loved my 6.2 first Gen. the TRX is very intriguing. I love competition. Keeps everyone honest.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I was checking in with my old peeps...https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/2nd-gen-raptor-resale-value-after-trx-release.78136/

I had a raptor back in 2013 when I got the hundred thousand miles on it, I was looking to get a new one and then watch the video on Power Wagon and I was hooked, since then, they did not come out with a v8 in the second GEN. And there was no going back for me. But I loved my 6.2 first Gen. the TRX is very intriguing. I love competition. Keeps everyone honest.

I thought the Nile was a river. Wow. I guess they do not know about RAMS history with off road racing.

229630.jpg 6c68e94167987b4eec3e75a94f7be195.jpg
da654ccd8a051f2cfc59ae8f6b7ecd79.jpg MP011_023RM__mid.jpg hqdefault.jpg
Yep... That's the Powerwagon

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I thought the Nile was a river. Wow. I guess they do not know about RAMS history with off road racing.

View attachment 219197 View attachment 219201
View attachment 219198 View attachment 219199 View attachment 219200
Yep... That's the Powerwagon
It’s pretty sad really. On the forms the 1st gen guys are more down to earth and the 2 gen owners ( what you saw here) are a bunch of privileged suits. I could not relate anymore. I have grease under my nails and love to turn a winch. I mean wrench. Haha.
I love that I don’t see a PW every day and by the looks of the price tag on the TRX I will see less of those so I am sure that when I do see one around town it will bring a smile to my face.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wow, that’s an entertaining read. Lol. I didn’t go though all 17 pages or so but them Phord boys sure are good for a few laughs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love regular cabs and have owned them in last 2 Rams. I am really hopeful they will continue making them in the recent Generation Rams and will wait a few more years to purchase to see if they do. I know it is personal preference, but I feel the 4x4 Reg cab in regular or short bed is the sportiest looking truck around and since I rarely need more than 2 seats it works for me. Also much easier to park....Anyone else agree or am I the last of a dying breed??

I find it really weird how passionate some people get on some threads about dismissing and hating on reg cabs. From an economic position they use all the same marketing materials, spare parts, service center training, printed materials, 99% of the same tooling as 4 door models the only difference is the back half of the cabin, the doors and a couple bits of frame. In other words I bet the reg cab justifies itself from a manufacturing position even if they only sell 5000 of them a year and in reality they sell 5-6x that many.

So yeah I'd expect a 5th gen is coming but I don't blame them for putting it off until they retire the 4th gen and if they can squeeze a few more sales out of that platform they benefit and so do we. We benefit in 2 ways, new buyers can get into a 4th gen for a few bucks cheaper than a 5th gen and it's still a great truck - and existing owners & aftermarket manufacturers get another couple years of compatibility for to justify the development and realistic pricing on aftermarket accessories and upgrades. Win and a win!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find it really weird how passionate some people get on some threads about dismissing and hating on reg cabs. From an economic position they use all the same marketing materials, spare parts, service center training, printed materials, 99% of the same tooling as 4 door models the only difference is the back half of the cabin, the doors and a couple bits of frame. In other words I bet the reg cab justifies itself from a manufacturing position even if they only sell 5000 of them a year and in reality they sell 5-6x that many.

So yeah I'd expect a 5th gen is coming but I don't blame them for putting it off until they retire the 4th gen and if they can squeeze a few more sales out of that platform they benefit and so do we. We benefit in 2 ways, new buyers can get into a 4th gen for a few bucks cheaper than a 5th gen and it's still a great truck - and existing owners & aftermarket manufacturers get another couple years of compatibility for to justify the development and realistic pricing on aftermarket accessories and upgrades. Win and a win!

But see, that’s just it; not too many people want a standard cab. They all want a crew cab so that they have room to pack their family and the friends in it so to cater to the bigger crowd, they’re gonna focus on what the majority wants.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I said, I find it really weird how passionate some people get on some threads about dismissing and hating on reg cabs.

I could buy a new Harley and the same people would throw me a thumbs up, could buy a Viper and they'd want to take it for a spin..... but as soon as I'm talking about a vehicle with a trailer hitch on it and only two doors they lose their dang minds. :birgits_tiredcoffee

I accept it as factual that they privately wish they could have a reg cab and that's why it's so important to them, to insist n0BoDy BuYs rEg cAbS

Last edited:

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I was a kid, my grandma had a little old white Plymouth something or other, with the push button transmission buttons on my he dash. That knob job always reminds me of grandma's old lady car.

But the dude in the movie Vanishing Point had a really tough Challenger with the shifter in the console. I always thought the Challenger was way cooler than grandma's car. I like what they did with the shifter in the TRX.

All Wranglers have straight axles in front. They're probably superior in the dirt. But on the road, which is where the TRX is going to spend 98% of the time, I'd much rather have the independent front end. My Wrangler wanders all over the road; very vague feeling.
Please don't Knock the Push Button Shift I had a 63 Sport Fury 413 that would lift the front at launch, and you could push start (the Torqueflite's had rear pumps back then)

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love regular cabs and have owned them in last 2 Rams. I am really hopeful they will continue making them in the recent Generation Rams and will wait a few more years to purchase to see if they do. I know it is personal preference, but I feel the 4x4 Reg cab in regular or short bed is the sportiest looking truck around and since I rarely need more than 2 seats it works for me. Also much easier to park....Anyone else agree or am I the last of a dying breed??

I 100% agree but we are in the minority apparently. It took me a lot of searching to find my RCSB. The dealer was sorry he picked it up, expected it to sell fast but most buyers wanted either a RCLB or a CC.
I would think fleet buyers would still want RC, my truck is an exfleet vehicle.
I think she's a sexy beast.20200706_134200.jpg

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I would have a regular cab...but 3 kids and a wife.

I have owned many over the years.

They are my favorite.

And I have a manual shift V10 and a manual shift Kia Sorrento. Can not bring ourselves to part with them

PLEASE BUY THE REGULAR CABS. PLEASE BUY THE MANUALS

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I think the retirement of the 4th gen is still going to hinge on whether they feel like ending reg cab production entirely - I know n0bOdY BUyS rEg CaBS but municipalities, comms and trades are still big buyers of reg cab trucks you don't need four seats to push a snow plow or run a railman's utility box.

But I still haven't seen a reg cab 5th gen so that's pretty likely the main justification for the ongoing 4th gen, apart from just maximizing their investment in the tooling and supply chain established for that model.

I only buy REGULAR cabs. Had 2018 and now have a 2019. Love them.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think an intermediate move, optioning in the high output 392 Hemi at 485HP, 475TQ would satisfy many enthusiasts, maybe not the pure off road crowd cause the powerband will be shifted up a little but I know I would enjoy it. I haven't driven a 5.7L E-Torque, so no comparison to note.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
^^^I think so too!
I like the beefed up frame, flared body style and off road goodies of the TRX(not to mention factory 35" tires!)
But I'd be more than happy with a 392 (maybe even a shaker option) in place of 707hp and a supercharger.
I'd drop $60k on that in a second, but you loose me at $75K -if you even find
any at that price.​
I'm still stoked that Ram built them though!
It's about time they built something to take the starch out of the Raptor sales!

BriamH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably not a whole lot of them. The raptor has a much better price point than this truck they’re kind of in different price brackets at this point.

Tou won’t be getting one for less than $100k it sounds like and much higher if you go with options.

I can get a new Raptor in the 50s.

god I love this new TRX but not 50k MORE than a Raptor lol.

I just googled 2020 Raptor pricing. Most Raptors are listed in the $75K range. Sure, there are a couple at $55K, base models with an extended cab. Completely different truck, with very few options included. Since the TRX base comes with more options, you need to compare the loaded Raptor to the TRX. Yes, the TRX is a little more, but not $20K more comparing apples to apples.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Engineering Explained did a good video on the TRX....

It has a 4wd auto t-case... myself, I think that's a good idea... it'll save the front shaft from that 650 pounds of torque.

Pricing starts at $71k, and runs up to a little over $100k for the maxed out version.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Screenshot_20200821-083857.png Screenshot_20200821-083813.png

Please. Explain to me how this purpose built truck is overpriced. A HellCat engine. All this offroad stuff no other ram truck has.

The fact that people are going to pay 30k over sticker...that is because too many people just have to have things.

So please explain again.

Screenshot_20200821-084332.png

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 219298 View attachment 219299

Please. Explain to me how this purpose built truck is overpriced. A HellCat engine. All this offroad stuff no other ram truck has.

The fact that people are going to pay 30k over sticker...that is because too many people just have to have things.

So please explain again.

View attachment 219300

That’s a good point. Here in the last several days, I’ve been reading through a lot of the comments on Facebook about all the posts about this new TRX and it’s just funny about how so many people want to compare how much more the TRX is over the raptor and how even the Dodge, the ram and Mopar people are even complaining of how expensive this purpose-built off-road truck is but yet, even a fully decked out 2020 limited half-ton, you’re looking at not too much of a lower price than that. And if you’re one of those people that just has to have dually who pulls hotshot, or just does a lot of towing that requires a truck of that caliber and if you just so happen to want any kind of luxury on it, you’re getting up there in price that’s even higher than what the TRX starts out at, or even a maxed out TRX that’s just about to cross over the hundred thousand dollar mark.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Like I said, I find it really weird how passionate some people get on some threads about dismissing and hating on reg cabs.

I could buy a new Harley and the same people would throw me a thumbs up, could buy a Viper and they'd want to take it for a spin..... but as soon as I'm talking about a vehicle with a trailer hitch on it and only two doors they lose their dang minds. :birgits_tiredcoffee

I accept it as factual that they privately wish they could have a reg cab and that's why it's so important to them, to insist n0BoDy BuYs rEg cAbS

I haven't read anything to that effect in this thread. Stating an observation "a massive majority prefers double/crew cab" does not mean people are losing their minds over it.

That said, reg cab truly sucks :D

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7