Bilstein dilemma in Dallas/Ft Worth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone....

First post here... be gentle, I'm a rookie! I've been lurking for awhile now. I currently own a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie. I'm on my 4th ram truck, however this is my first truck to do any modifications to though.

I have just about driven myself insane with the best way to level the truck and I've decided that the Bilsteins and possibly a spacer in the rear if I go at 2.8 is the best option.

Here is my problem. I've gone into two different places here in the DFW area and asked about leveling the truck and they either try to sell me a daystar kit or another type which I do not want, when I ask about the Bilsteins I get a strange look... which may be due to the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing, or talking about... but I'm learning. Now many of you here on this forum suggest installing them myself, but I don't think that is a good idea, I consider myself pretty handy, but that is with wood, tile, concrete... more the woodworking type... so the tools are limited as is the experience.

Can anybody recommend a place in DFW (Texas) that will install the Bilstein 5100s? I have not bought anything just yet... can't seem to pull the trigger on such a purchase. I even thought about the stealership and having the Mopar kit installed - until they quoted me the price!

lfr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can always order them yourself and take them to that same shop and tell them to install them at the height u want. You are paying so u get what u want they like it or not. Another option is to take them to the dealer and let them install them too, that's what I would do.

OP
OP
TexasDiver

TexasDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Almost afraid to admit I did not even think of buying them and asking the dealer to install... I'm going to blame it on work! Thanks I'll give that a shot! Any suggestions on buying anything else I'll need besides the Bilsteins?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just be careful with what the shops tell you. I just went to 4 Wheel Parts to see about having Bilsteins installed. Their computer system wouldn't price it out without adding upper control arms to the install.

I know the Bils can be done without the UCA, but they wouldn't listen because their computer said no.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just be careful with what the shops tell you. I just went to 4 Wheel Parts to see about having Bilsteins installed. Their computer system wouldn't price it out without adding upper control arms to the install.

I know the Bils can be done without the UCA, but they wouldn't listen because their computer said no.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You should have told them it's the same labor time as replacing the oem strut. Just replacing it with a "aftermarket" strut non oem

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you can always order them yourself and take them to that same shop and tell them to install them at the height u want. You are paying so u get what u want they like it or not. Another option is to take them to the dealer and let them install them too, that's what I would do.

Yep, I had a local shop install for $150. F' aftermarket UCAs.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I put aftermarket (Mevotech) UCA's on my truck when I did the level. I did a spacer level though. From what I've heard most guys with bils don't bother replacing the UCA's, but you can if you want assurance that the BJ's won't pop.

Plus the Mevotechs are greasable, which is nice! Twice the weight of stock too!

OP
OP
TexasDiver

TexasDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stealership wants $316 to install just the front! Seriously... and this is the dealer I bought the truck from, back to the drawing board. I'd do it myself but I would need to rent so many tools that it would be cheaper to have someone else install...

Ahof

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same truck and used Epic 4x4 in Lewisville to install the bils. Sorry I don't recall the exact price but it was lower than the dealership and included the alignment.

OP
OP
TexasDiver

TexasDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks I'll give them a call... Did you buy the Bils there or just have them do the install?

Ahof

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I purchased the bills from them as well.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Stealership wants $316 to install just the front! Seriously... and this is the dealer I bought the truck from, back to the drawing board. I'd do it myself but I would need to rent so many tools that it would be cheaper to have someone else install...

This probably isn't true. In my experience, "renting" a tool is basically only a deposit... Once you bring it back, you get a full refund. At least at pepboys, this is the case. You have to know at least one person that knows at least one person that has basic tools and/or can help you with the install. Just supply pizza and beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I did the mevotech's with my bils for peace of mind. They were pretty easy to install. I jacked up the stock one's taking them off, but oh well.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am by no means an automotive mechanic or an expert or anything. I also understand needing shops to do work sometimes. However, I firmly believe that people should learn how to do their own maintenance on their vehicles. Especially if they are enthusiasts. It saves you so much damn money. Find someone on here to help you and buy the beer. It's not hard to do at all really. Worst part is compressing the spring. If you can't find someone look up a how to video. There are plenty of examples out there to tackle it on your own.

OP
OP
TexasDiver

TexasDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bils are ordered... I've got a friend of a friend that has volunteered his services if I run into any problems, plus he's letting me use his 4 ton floor jack and jack stands so I'm going to give it a shot... as soon as it's done I'll get the pictures posted.

Still on the fence about a rear spacer...

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Bils are ordered... I've got a friend of a friend that has volunteered his services if I run into any problems, plus he's letting me use his 4 ton floor jack and jack stands so I'm going to give it a shot... as soon as it's done I'll get the pictures posted.

Still on the fence about a rear spacer...

Find a friend who's in the military. A lot of bases have hobby shops with ******* STOCKED tool sets, lifts, wall mounted spring compressors, air tools, you name it. Installed my bils at the shop on my base and it was a God send.