Edge Pulsar owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well buy the owners manual the Hemi calls for 89 octane so I can see them not adding to much power with just 89 fuel and making you go to 91 so its a safer tune fpr the motor.

I run 89 so jumping to 91 is not that much of a jump at the pump anyway. :)

I do run 89 and I suppose the take away is that Ram didn't leave any power on the table if you have to bump up a grade to see power gains. Sadly running 91 is a jump at the pump here and will only get worse as summer approaches and the price shoots up even higher.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I do run 89 and I suppose the take away is that Ram didn't leave any power on the table if you have to bump up a grade to see power gains. Sadly running 91 is a jump at the pump here and will only get worse as summer approaches and the price shoots up even higher.

with custom tuning there is plenty to be gained with 89, even 87.

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
with custom tuning there is plenty to be gained with 89, even 87.

What kind of gains on average are seen w/ a custom tune on a stock engine?

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone had this and Pedal Commander. I’m interested to see how the trans/shifting is with the Pulsar compared to the Pedal Commander. I know the Pedal Commander doesn’t add power but many people’s reviews are that you would think it did for how much it changes the trucks drivability. So is the Pulsar close? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Has anyone had this and Pedal Commander. I’m interested to see how the trans/shifting is with the Pulsar compared to the Pedal Commander. I know the Pedal Commander doesn’t add power but many people’s reviews are that you would think it did for how much it changes the trucks drivability. So is the Pulsar close? Thanks in advance.

I should be finding out here soon once I get my Pulsar. I've had a Pedal Commander for almost a year now so I'm going to 1st test out the Pulsar power levels with the PC off and see how they compare. I may very well end up keeping the PC installed and turning it down or if the Pulsar is good enough with the pedal response by itself I'll move the PC over to the old mans truck.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should be finding out here soon once I get my Pulsar. I've had a Pedal Commander for almost a year now so I'm going to 1st test out the Pulsar power levels with the PC off and see how they compare. I may very well end up keeping the PC installed and turning it down or if the Pulsar is good enough with the pedal response by itself I'll move the PC over to the old mans truck.

Awesome! Please post back your thoughts!

I was looking to get a PC soon but if I can get the pulsar and accomplish similar (shift on the fly, no need for new pcm) things and get a little power boost why not.

tator2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was just going to ask the same thing. I'd like to add the Pulsar, Vararam and a borla muffler in the next month. I'm already running exclusively 92 in the truck. So hopefully the smile gets even bigger!

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just going to ask the same thing. I'd like to add the Pulsar, Vararam and a borla muffler in the next month. I'm already running exclusively 92 in the truck. So hopefully the smile gets even bigger!
The vararam will deliver best results with a tune written for it

Cuanh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Guys
Very simple question
Is your level saved when you power cycle or do you have to set it every time you start ?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Awesome! Please post back your thoughts!

I was looking to get a PC soon but if I can get the pulsar and accomplish similar (shift on the fly, no need for new pcm) things and get a little power boost why not.

I just got back from a test drive, however, it was raining (If you can even call it that, but wet enough to ran in 4Auto to keep traction) and there were lots of needlessly slow idiots about(Around here they seem to think the sky is failing and do 30+ under when they see the tinniest amount of water). I will have to do some more testing when its dry and the roads are less crowded, but I'll give some impressions anyways. I would not stack the Pulsar with the PC unless you want a super super touchy throttle or you like the weaker modes (2-4). Honestly Levels 3, 4, 5, and 7 are pointless (Eco mode is trash and MDS in a perf mode is stupid imo), however, level 6 is about the pedal response I get out of my Scat Pack in normal mode while level 8 is somewhat close to the pedal response I get out of the Scat Pack in sport mode(Just a bit touchy). I'm pretty pleased as I now longer have to manually kill MDS (I will only be using levels 6 and 8), the truck does pull a little harder, and I can re-purpose the PC. Currently my truck has the following mods and I only run Shell 93 : Vararam, Moes 87mm TB, BT Catchcan, 190 T-Stat, V6 efan, most shutters removed, and a Flowmaster Super 10 direct fit muffler. Is it as good as a PCM swap custom tune and a TCM flash ? Not at all, but it is better than stock + PC and it's easy to revert without a trace should I need to use my lifetime warranty.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got back from a test drive, however, it was raining (If you can even call it that, but wet enough to ran in 4Auto to keep traction) and there were lots of needlessly slow idiots about(Around here they seem to think the sky is failing and do 30+ under when they see the tinniest amount of water). I will have to do some more testing when its dry and the roads are less crowded, but I'll give some impressions anyways. I would not stack the Pulsar with the PC unless you want a super super touchy throttle or you like the weaker modes (2-4). Honestly Levels 3, 4, 5, and 7 are pointless (Eco mode is trash and MDS in a perf mode is stupid imo), however, level 6 is about the pedal response I get out of my Scat Pack in normal mode while level 8 is somewhat close to the pedal response I get out of the Scat Pack in sport mode(Just a bit touchy). I'm pretty pleased as I now longer have to manually kill MDS (I will only be using levels 6 and 8), the truck does pull a little harder, and I can re-purpose the PC. Currently my truck has the following mods and I only run Shell 93 : Vararam, Moes 87mm TB, BT Catchcan, 190 T-Stat, V6 efan, most shutters removed, and a Flowmaster Super 10 direct fit muffler. Is it as good as a PCM swap custom tune and a TCM flash ? Not at all, but it is better than stock + PC and it's easy to revert without a trace should I need to use my lifetime warranty.

Thanks for your review.

So the pulsars trans changes are similar to what PC would do but adds a little power.

Is that a good summary?

You stated what I feared... getting both would be crazy throttle to where I’d need to put the PC on such a low setting it would be like why spend the $$$$

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i think in any mode you have train yourself on foot pressure, i had my PC on sport+ 4, and it just takes a little bit to get use to. turned it down a little but then you retain your foot pressure again

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for your review.

So the pulsars trans changes are similar to what PC would do but adds a little power.

Is that a good summary?

You stated what I feared... getting both would be crazy throttle to where I’d need to put the PC on such a low setting it would be like why spend the $$$$

Yes and No. I was pretty happy with the PC, but the Pulsar is just better all around. Originally I had gotten the PC to get the pedal response closer to my Challenger, which it did to an extent, but my Ram was still a bit "Lazy". The Pulsar got rid of a lot of that laziness, but you're still dealing with the factory TCM tuning so it can only do so much. Resetting the TCM adaptives after installing the Pulsar did make the trans a bit better than it was with the PC(Had also reset adaptives), but nothing like a TCM tune would do (Long term testing I'll have to see how lazy it ends up getting). I did go for another drive after it dried up outside and the PC is out of my truck already. The truck's behavior is just overall more aggressive with the Pulsar than with the PC(One would hope with the claims of up to 30HP). I would say don't even consider the PC if you plan on getting a Pulsar and running levels 6 or 8.

i think in any mode you have train yourself on foot pressure, i had my PC on sport+ 4, and it just takes a little bit to get use to. turned it down a little but then you retain your foot pressure again

A few years ago I would've agreed with you, but after major spinal surgery and learning how to walk again my right foot can only get so precise these days. My biggest goal was to get the daily (Ram) as close as possible to my Scat Pack in the pedal input department so I wasn't having to deal with two dramatically different pedals. The Pulsar fits the bill a lot better than the PC with modes 6 and 8 lining up very well to Normal and Sport mode.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes and No. I was pretty happy with the PC, but the Pulsar is just better all around. Originally I had gotten the PC to get the pedal response closer to my Challenger, which it did to an extent, but my Ram was still a bit "Lazy". The Pulsar got rid of a lot of that laziness, but you're still dealing with the factory TCM tuning so it can only do so much. Resetting the TCM adaptives after installing the Pulsar did make the trans a bit better than it was with the PC(Had also reset adaptives), but nothing like a TCM tune would do (Long term testing I'll have to see how lazy it ends up getting). I did go for another drive after it dried up outside and the PC is out of my truck already. The truck's behavior is just overall more aggressive with the Pulsar than with the PC(One would hope with the claims of up to 30HP). I would say don't even consider the PC if you plan on getting a Pulsar and running levels 6 or 8.

A few years ago I would've agreed with you, but after major spinal surgery and learning how to walk again my right foot can only get so precise these days. My biggest goal was to get the daily (Ram) as close as possible to my Scat Pack in the pedal input department so I wasn't having to deal with two dramatically different pedals. The Pulsar fits the bill a lot better than the PC with modes 6 and 8 lining up very well to Normal and Sport mode.

Thanks for all your thoughts and information! Made my decision clearer for me.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like I’ll have a PC for sale fairly soon.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
We need to get a group buy discount going on this thing. :head3: