Good brand of wheel bearing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
So my left front wheel starting clicking and popping when I make right turns at 60K which seems really soon. But whatever.

Changed it with a MEVOTECH and it starting doing the same thing just over a month. Changed it with another MEVOTECH and it's doing the popping noise again.
I assume it's just cheap Chinese ****. lol

Is there a better brand to go with? I've used Moog, TIMKEN in the past but I think they are all made overseas too. And some Amazon reviews don't sound good.
This is so freking annoying and I'm about ready to trade this truck in. hahaah

Thanks
Steven

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
SKF. The tapered roller bearings are made in Germany. Here is a list by type. https://www.rollsbearing.com/23064-where-are-skf-bearings-made.html

I replaced the the hub / bearing in my 2500 with and SKF unit back in 2019. 110,000 miles later still going strong.

That said, I have had good luck with Timken in all my trailers. I have had good luck getting genuine Timken's from rodavictoriausa seller on Ebay. Timken makes an app you can scan the bearing package with to ensure it is not a fake. I have always received factory sealed packages that passed the app scan test from this Ebay seller.

Buying from a licensed SKF or Timken dealer or big name parts house will ensure you get genuine products.

Lastly, don't skimp on the grease. You can buy the best bearings and they will fail early with **** grease in them. I use Valvoline Cobalt in my trailer bearings. Make sure you clean out the hubs thoroughly to remove all traces of the old grease. It only takes a little incompatible old grease to foul the new grease.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a Ram 1500, right? 4x4 or 2WD? You're sure it's not the outer Constant Velocity (CV) joint clicking, right? (4x4 only)

I would go for a Mopar Hub/Bearing assembly myself, first. And second, any of the other top names like, Timken, SKF. RockAuto or Amazon are your friends here....

Good luck.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lastly, don't skimp on the grease. You can buy the best bearings and they will fail early with **** grease in them. I use Valvoline Cobalt in my trailer bearings. Make sure you clean out the hubs thoroughly to remove all traces of the old grease. It only takes a little incompatible old grease to foul the new grease.

Hub/bearing assemblies for like a Ram 1500, aren't made to be greased or serviced. Even if a guy wanted to drill a hole in the seal and pump grease in there I wouldn't advocate it, except in an emergency situation. There's no way to know what type of grease was installed ...and you could be adding a grease which the new soap carriers aren't compatible (making it watery and lose lubricity). If it's making noise now, most likely the cage is being chewed up ..and bearing failure is imminent. And imminent could be tomorrow or 2 years... No way to tell on a failing wheel bearing.

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SKF. The tapered roller bearings are made in Germany. Here is a list by type. https://www.rollsbearing.com/23064-where-are-skf-bearings-made.html

I replaced the the hub / bearing in my 2500 with and SKF unit back in 2019. 110,000 miles later still going strong.

That said, I have had good luck with Timken in all my trailers. I have had good luck getting genuine Timken's from rodavictoriausa seller on Ebay. Timken makes an app you can scan the bearing package with to ensure it is not a fake. I have always received factory sealed packages that passed the app scan test from this Ebay seller.

Buying from a licensed SKF or Timken dealer or big name parts house will ensure you get genuine products.

Some of the SKF reviews on amazon are not good either but could be just the luck of the draw. They too are made overseas at least that's what it says on the front of the bearing.

These wheel hub bearings on the front are sealed. There's not grease to put on them. You might be thinking of the rear or what I've seen when I changed my S10s where the bearing hub, brake rotor are all one part and you have to pack the bearing with grease.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a Ram 1500, right? 4x4 or 2WD? You're sure it's not the outer Constant Velocity (CV) joint clicking, right? (4x4 only)

I would go for a Mopar Hub/Bearing assembly myself, first. And second, any of the other top names like, Timken, SKF. RockAuto or Amazon are your friends here....

Good luck.
Mines a 2wd.

I was thinking about Mopar too, probability the only one made in America. lol

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Mopar is probably made in Mexico, or Canada. Could be USA, or overseas too. I honestly don't know. Factory is almost always going to be the way to go. The guy put a cheap wheel bearing on my H3 before I bought it. Didn't last very long. I put new GM's on and that was years ago, they're still good. Buy-once, Cry-once ....Avoid cheap parts. But hey ..I'm always tempted too! :)

At least it should come off fairly easy this time :waytogo:

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I called my local dealer and got the part # for the front hubs from them, and ordered the OE hubs from RockAuto, paid $165 ea. vs $265 ea. from dealer, and that was a year or so ago, who knows how much they are now the way prices are

2015 SLT QC 2WD

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Mopar is probably made in Mexico, or Canada. Could be USA, or overseas too. I honestly don't know. Factory is almost always going to be the way to go. The guy put a cheap wheel bearing on my H3 before I bought it. Didn't last very long. I put new GM's on and that was years ago, they're still good. Buy-once, Cry-once ....Avoid cheap parts. But hey ..I'm always tempted too! :)

At least it should come off fairly easy this time :waytogo:

Oh yeah I'm really fast at them now. hahaha

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called my local dealer and got the part # for the front hubs from them, and ordered the OE hubs from RockAuto, paid $165 ea. vs $265 ea. from dealer, and that was a year or so ago, who knows how much they are now the way prices are

2015 SLT QC 2WD

The MOPAR one 68267298AD?
That's what's on Rockauto

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The MOPAR one 68267298AD?
That's what's on Rockauto
That's the ones I ordered. Ask your dealer for the part # though, give them your VIN.

I would believe it would be the same. Was easy to change.

Might even be the same ones for 4WD, too. There is a spline in them, and would make sense to have the same ones across the line.

At least in my mind it does.....lol

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh yeah ...sure ...Florida ..I bet they were easy to change. Try changing them after they've rusted in for a dozen years ..LOL :banghead:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
IIRC, SKF is the OEM contract manufacturer for Mopar hub / bearing units.

The Chinese made SKF on Amazon may be counterfeit. SKF does not list China as a manufacturing point for their automotive bearings. China is listed for some small bearings for office furniture and such.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Timken. Amazon. ~$100 shipped in a couple days. Done.

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh yeah ...sure ...Florida ..I bet they were easy to change. Try changing them after they've rusted in for a dozen years ..LOL :banghead:
Well, Louisiana but pretty much the same place. lol

IIRC, SKF is the OEM contract manufacturer for Mopar hub / bearing units.

The Chinese made SKF on Amazon may be counterfeit. SKF does not list China as a manufacturing point for their automotive bearings. China is listed for some small bearings for office furniture and such.

So where can get a non Chinese SKF?

Timken. Amazon. ~$100 shipped in a couple days. Done.

That's what used to be good but I don't know now....
Guess I can try and return it. If it fails. That's what I have been doing with the mevotech

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
As JW said, RockAuto. I bought mine from them and they were stamped Germany.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can't even imagine changing them in the rust belt.

I'll bet the 4WD hubs are a real b*tch to remove when the spline is rusted together.

Come on down to FL @Jeepwalker. Everybody else is coming here, might as well make a party of it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Timken one of few still made in USA, or NTN from Japan.

SKF and Torrington have been outsourcing. Moog especially.
I thought timken moved overseas ?
Tiwain & Mexico ?

Last edited: