HD's to be made in the US again?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by theviking, Jan 8, 2017.

1. theviking

theviking Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
  2. JSChacon

JSChacon Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Sport Magnum 5.9
    That's because soon to be president Trump threatened all car makers with a big tax if they continued to make cars out of the states. Good for him if you ask me.

3. mtofell

mtofell Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Hopefully, this doesn't just turn in to a political thread and get way off topic or shut down. And for the record I grew up in a very liberal household and am a registered independent. All that being said, the talk of jobs staying/coming back to the USA is a REALLY nice thing to hear for a change.

I'm not rich by any means but am comfortable. I'd gladly pay more for my shopping cart full of crap at Walmart or Target if it means keeping jobs here. I know there are many fears with the incoming administration but few could argue that running this country a bit more like a business is a bad thing.

:favorites13:

4. HS-LD

HS-LD Member

Ram Year:
    2017 2500 Tradesman
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    Ironically I had 2016 1500 made in Warren that I traded in on a 2017 2500 made in Mexico and the 2500 is made better.

I had to realign the drivers door on the 1500, it was off kilter. Took about 1/2 hour and was pretty easy, I was impressed with the way it was engineered once I figured it out, but it was off 1/4 inch from the factory and there's no excuse. The 2500 is 100%, and I've gone over it pretty extensively.

Anecdotal, but still happened.

jpsfj60 and reek like this.
  5. reek

reek Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi

same here. 2014 1500 to a 2015 2500. less 'oopsies' on the Mexican truck

HS-LD likes this.
  6. BossHogg

BossHogg Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    I've got one of each, 2013 1500 built in Warren and a 3500 from Mexico. I guess I'm lucky because I didn't have a build issue with either outside of a loose nut in my steering system on the 3500. Folks that live in the Detroit metroplex are aware of the strained relationship between Chrysler and the UAW. The UAW signed a contract that later, they decided they didn't like due to the work hours.

Since Trump is showing he can bring back our jobs, then the UAW has to step up, shake the attitude, and take responsibility for their work.

It isn't the labor costs that encourage companies to move out of our country, it is the business taxes, another issue Trump said he would address.

HS-LD likes this.
  7. Markcuda

Markcuda Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
    Engine:
    I did not buy a 2500/3500 Ram and wont because it is made in Mexico.
    Call me stupid, but, that is how I feel about it.

Joe w. likes this.
  8. 82Crew

82Crew Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1982, 2010
    Engine:
    318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
    That would be awesome. My dad worked at the STL plant till it shut down to move to Mexico. Over the last few years I have seen most of the huge auto manufacturing plants torn down. Hopefully they start getting rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. BlkZrx

BlkZrx Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Looks like, from recent news reports that FCA will be spending the money on new Jeep production..

10. 68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500 Outdoorsman
    Engine:
    I noticed this as well. While waiting in the showroom for my paper work on my 2500 to be done, I couldn't help but notice how bad the fit & finish was on all of the vehicles made in the US.
    This concerns me a lot! Many people in this country have become lazy & have no work ethic. I am a Plant Manager & one would think that as bad as the economy has been that it would be easy to find employees to fill positions. Hell a quarter of them can't even pass the drug test & the Millennials, forget about it! The only ones to make it in my shop are over 30yrs. old.
    If Trump brings back all these jobs he says he is, this younger generation is going to have to step up. Get back to how our parents & grand parents did it, with hard work & pride in what you do!

jpsfj60, Joe w., Ram-engineer and 3 others like this.