How easy is it to steal these trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anybody who doesn't own a gun in this world is an idiot. But so true about a dog, man a good dog will let you know the second something is out of whack on your dirt at night. It wouldn't be advisable to shoot someone stealing your car, but if you happen to let a well trained German Shepard out to bite their nuts off, oh well.

I have two German Shepherds. I know everything that happens outside including when leaves blow across the yard. lol

You can't use deadly force, but heading outside with two GSDs and a pistol gripped pump action with light and laser sights is one heck of a deterrent!

Magna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow...all of you guys saying "you can't use deadly force" need to move down here to TX. Our laws say that you CAN use deadly force to prevent a criminal from escaping with your property if there is no other way to stop them...and calling the police is not considered a way to stop a thief. After dark...thieves and property invaders become viable targets.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One pretty effective theft deterrent is to drive a stick shift...only about 10%-20% of Americans can drive them now. As we've been "dumbing down" to the lowest common denominator of education, the desire to learn things that actually require thought or paying attention has all but disappeared from the latest one or two generations of America's youth.

my son and i work at an import dealership that has an employee lease program. at the time he got his license, his cheapest option had a manual transmission. he actually leased the car without knowing how to drive it. i spent a couple hours on a sunday teaching him how to drive it as he needed it to get to work monday. he loves driving m/t.

on a side note, i think AZ has a law that prevents criminals from suing their victims in the event they are shot in the course of committing the crime. good shot placement would remove any question about this issue.

Last edited:

Magna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only reason my wife knows is because back in the mid 90s, she fell in love with a Beretta GT we saw on the lot and had me test drive it while she was at work. I drove her to work, test drove it and bought it...when she got off work, I picked her up in it and she got behind the wheel and started crying. I never thought about it being four speed because everyone I'd known up to that point could drive stick...but not this city girl. I taught her how to drive it...and rebuilt the transmission a year later after she wore it out learning to start/stop on the mountain roads around where we lived.

Magna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
on a side note, i think AZ has a law that prevents criminals from suing their victims in the event they are shot in the course of committing the crime. good shot placement would remove any question about this issue.

The way TX laws are, if two people commit a crime together and one of them gets killed by the victim, the criminal that survives gets charged with murder.

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
irony and karma, all rolled into one

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's total ********. Stolen is stolen. What if they break into your house and steal the keys? The keys would be in their possession in that case as well.
Illinois is the same way. Keys in the vehicle removes your insurances liability if you left it running with the keys in the ignition. To add insult to injury, you can be ticketed for it too...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, this thread went off topic. From stealing to gun laws. lol

I know a company used to make jammers/plates for behind the door handles for our trucks. There are many nice alarms as well for the RAM. At the end of the day, if a thief wants something bad enough they will find a way to get it.

Those that are stating they will walk out with this and that to deter, think twice about that. It could end up being your last decision. People are crazy nowadays, don't be a hero. A truck can be replaced. Living with another persons soul on your hands is everlasting. My truck leaving my driveway is not life threatening to me, so take it.

Yours truly, a right wing, law abiding pistol/shotgun/rifle packing citizen. lol

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Illinois is the same way. Keys in the vehicle removes your insurances liability if you left it running with the keys in the ignition. To add insult to injury, you can be ticketed for it too...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Ya your gun laws are just stupid over there. I was supposed to lock my gun up if I went across the bridge over there.

Stahlrosen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just try and steal my truck ;) I have both a gun and a dog. :shooter:

Attachments

• truck_&K.JPG
    truck_&K.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 36

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know of a older model cummins that was stolen recently, they pulled the gps on it, it was headed north bound on I-25, then the signal was lost. Never found that truck.

LOL, just saying, them crooks can be pretty resourceful.

All about the install. A GPS tracker typically only needs three wires. You can pretty much put it anywhere on the car you want.

danam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 4WD SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
In my hood I leave the doors open (I got heavy storm doors) garage open (nobody messes with my charger or my truck), and I have my German Shepard.

I am more worried about racoons and skunks coming in the garage and getting close to the truck. I guess I am fortunate

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my hood I leave the doors open (I got heavy storm doors) garage open (nobody messes with my charger or my truck), and I have my German Shepard.

I am more worried about racoons and skunks coming in the garage and getting close to the truck. I guess I am fortunate

I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere - a few years back, there were some folk from the cities that would come down every weekend and break into cars and take anything not bolted down (and some stuff that was). One night, they spent time breaking into a 3rd Gen Ram 2 blocks from my place, had to bypass the alarm before getting in - only to find NOTHING in the truck to steal - they torched the truck! Best part? That house is visible from the POLICE DEPARTMENT, just 1 block over and standing in the parking lot of the PD...

They usually don't enter my neighborhood - 3 officers, all of which park their enforcement vehicles at home over night and several of us redneck types that people KNOW we have guns and enough ammo to hold our own. :naughty:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
That's total ********. Stolen is stolen. What if they break into your house and steal the keys? The keys would be in their possession in that case as well.

You are over reading it. The law in Minnesota and probably a few other Northern states was enacted for people who left their keys in the car, not for thieves who come in and in the course of a home burglary, secured said keys and took the car.

The problem in places like Minnesota and their brutal winters is that people tend to go out and warm their vehicles up and go back inside their home or leave them running while they temporarily bolt into a store. Leaves an easy target for theft.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are over reading it. The law in Minnesota and probably a few other Northern states was enacted for people who left their keys in the car, not for thieves who come in and in the course of a home burglary, secured said keys and took the car.

The problem in places like Minnesota and their brutal winters is that people tend to go out and warm their vehicles up and go back inside their home or leave them running while they temporarily bolt into a store. Leaves an easy target for theft.

You are correct. I remember years ago entering a department store and watching an incident unfold - a Texan vising Minnesota had left his F350 idling while he was in the store only to come back out and watch it drive off - first thing the cops asked was, "were the keys in the ignition?" When he said yes, they took a description of the truck and the license plate number as well as his hotel phone number (cell phones were a status item back then, not everyone had one) and said they'd contact him if they find anything, but not to hold his breath and it would be a low priority because they would have no way to prove the vehicle wasn't loaned to the person driving it away - a "he said/she said" situation...

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I still think that's ********. Any thief could say the keys were in the car even if they weren't.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still think that's ********. Any thief could say the keys were in the car even if they weren't.

I'm sure it would be pretty easy to determine if they have the keys or not when they are caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure it would be pretty easy to determine if they have the keys or not when they are caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I'm saying is somebody could take the keys from someone's house, purse, etc. and say they were in the car to avoid being prosecuted because there's no way to prove it wasn't loaned to them.

The only people I can see benefiting from this law are thieves and insurance companies.

I stand by my stolen is stolen statement, whether the keys are in it or not. Just because something was easy to steal doesn't make it any less stolen. There are many crimes that are he-said, they-said situations. That's why cops/detectives investigate, to figure out what most likely happened. It's not like people typically loan out their vehicles and then report them stolen.

Last edited:

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In Fulton County GA (Atlanta), if we get a stolen car and the **** just pulls over and says he didn't know it was stolen, he gets off the hook. We still take em in and book em and they get the felony charge. Only to have the judge throw it out cause we can't "prove they knew it was stolen since they pulled over" so it happens all the time. But if they run, well that is a totally different story and tons of charges they face. I just keep my truck parked at the patrol barracks. Cameras everywhere and people around all the time.