jet chips??? how are they?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
Little engine that can (3.9) lol
i was thinking about getting a jet chip for my 3.9l v6. ive read where they help out alot on the low end power/acceleration. has anyone personally used a jet chip? are they as good as they say they are? needing advice before i drop $300 plus on the thing. its the kind that just plug into your harness, then into the computer.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Your factory ECU will dumb it BACK down. A performance ECU would be a better investment. Better still, a 5.7 Hemi & wiring harness out of a late model in a wrecking yard would be even better.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your factory ECU will dumb it BACK down. A performance ECU would be a better investment. Better still, a 5.7 Hemi & wiring harness out of a late model in a wrecking yard would be even better.

Easier still swap a 5.9 into it. Change the computer and go (Basically).

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Easier still swap a 5.9 into it. Change the computer and go (Basically).

EASIER swap, yes - but for the money & effort, a modern Hemi would provide more power, and then you can Diablo/Superchip/et.al. it, too. icon6.gif

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EASIER swap, yes - but for the money & effort, a modern Hemi would provide more power, and then you can Diablo/Superchip/et.al. it, too. icon6.gif

For the money and effort of swapping a stock hemi you can swap a built 360 that will pass 4th gens like they were wiping their ass. .

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
I'm going to stay with my v6. There's nothing wrong with them. Good God I use to have a dodge ram 2500 with the 360.....gas hog!! At least the v6 is a bit better, plus why own a v8 I'd all you pull is about 1000lb boat? The v6 is plenty, I'm not looking to race, or impress people. It's .y work truck/ fishing rig. Now that people are talking craps about the chip, why is it bad? Have you had a bad experience with them?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Not to be an ass I'm going to use your own argument against you.

Why have the v6 when it gets pretty much the same mileage vs the v6, has more power, more accessible parts, and junkyard motor that runs can be had for about as much as the price of that jet.

The jet will really only advance timing a COUPLE degrees and tell you to ruin premium gas. That's if it does anything at all and pcm doesn't override it

Last edited:

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to be an ass I'm going to use your own argument against you.

Why have the v6 when it gets pretty much the same mileage vs the v8, has more power, more accessible parts, and junkyard motor that runs can be had for about as much as the price of that jet.

The jet will really only advance timing a COUPLE degrees and tell you to ruin premium gas. That's if it does anything at all and pcm doesn't override it

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To answer your question, anything that does not reprogram the pcm will not do anything. Only screws **** up. The pcm is the the computer that tells the engine how to run. Throw something in than the pcm just reprograms around it. You can really screw things up with crap like that. Same idea as sensors going out. Pcm goes haywire, runs rich, runs rough, etc.

If you're not concerned about power, why are you worrying about an inline chip? If you want to fry your pcm, just save the money on the jet chips and buy yourself a soldering iron, open the pcm up and go crazy. Radio shack sells them for like 10 bucks, much cheaper form of destruction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
Why the v6 when the mileage is the same? Wierd argument....it has 2 less injectors, pistons etc. And the 3.9 is really reliable, and there's a lot at my junkyard in wrecked vehicles. Anyways, trucks never get the advertised mpg because of the sea elevation of where people live, the climate, and traffic/driving habbits. I get good mileage out of a 6. I was asking about jet chips because I replaced my 42re tranny with a 46re, I was worried the computer would get confused, and I heard that the jet chip changes shift points, so I was thinking if that would work to trick computer and avoid a reprogram. Plus again....why own a v8 that's meant to pull more weight, which I don't, and has 2 more injectors and pistons? I'm staying economical . As I mentioned before, I had a 360 in a 3/4 I used to have...gas hog. My brother had a 318 in an ext cab.....gas hog as well. I'm not expecting amazing mileage, but I know it will be better than the v8s. Long rant I know. Plus truck was really really cheap.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2 less injectors and pistons to throw around a full size truck. It's all in how you drive it. My 360 is averaging 16 miles to the gallon. Consistently.

Regardless of v8, v6, i had this my brother had that, the fact of the matter is jet chips don't work. They route in line with the pcm, not reprogram. The pcm will act around the chip, signaling it disabled and you'll never notice it's there. That's best case scenario. That's what the pcm is programmed to do. Bad case scenario it throws a check engine light, truck breaks down, you spend weeks trying to find what sensor went out when it's really the chip putting the truck in a form of limp mode. Worst case scenario you watch smoke come out of the pcm. Boomsticks. You need a new pcm.

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
Not trying to argue with you. My 360 sucked. My v6 is a regular cab shortwide. Still plenty of motor for power.espically when you add headers, high flow cat, good plugs and wires, etc.... I'm wanting to hear from people who have personally bought one and used it, what did they experience.not from people who've heard this or that. And I've NEVER heard of one burning up a computer,these arent the 2 wire 1 resistor ******** so called chips. I like my v6, it gets better mileage than my 360, or brothers 318 did. We both drive normal, we don't hot rod around,and for what I pull, it's plenty of motor. I'm just concerned about how computer will act with the new 46re in place of the 42,which is why I asked about the jet chip.