jet chips??? how are they?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can trust the average joes but dyno which means nothing or you can trust people that know what they're talking about. Your choice.

The people that know what it does are saying it doesn't do anything and the average Joe days is great and his throttle body spacer makes it even better. Which is funny because throttle body spacers do nothing on mpi motors.

Again not trying to be an ass but these are facts. I used to average 18 highway and about 11 city in my 360 with only flowmaster catback. If mileage is what you're worried about get a different truck.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not going to fight about the v6 v8 with you. It's irrelevant to your post and question. As far as what I've "heard this or that" is FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. I may not have run one on my own truck, but seeing as my job requires me to know enough about brands, manufacturers, and have the knowledge of telling customers in my store what to buy regarding THIS EXACT SITUATION, then selling products to customers who ignore my advice, then having to eat the ******* money when they return the product because it DOESN'T work. Yeah, it's first hand experience. Save your money. Don't bother with it. IT'S JUNK!

/#endthreadjackrant

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
Little engine that can (3.9) lol
My god I'm not worried about mileage so much, it will be better than the v8s period. And yes throttle body spacers are a joke on mpi. I'm not getting a different truck. All I was ask I g if the jet chip was worth it from someone who has dealt with it first hand. Now I have my answer. And about the average Joe comment......unless we are certified ase mechanics that get schooling regularly and do this every day....then all of us are average Joe's. Some more knowledge able then others with experience. Anyways, I somewhat have my answer....I'll look around some more for answers.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More answers? I'm ASE certified. I train myself regularly with that's "new" and "hip" and I do this every day Monday through Saturday.

You want a different opinion. Call Jet direct. That's the only positive opinion you'll get for their products.

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
So are you a mechanic?..or ase in parts? If your a mechanic then fine, this helps make up my mind. I just tired of hearing people who've heard this and that act like they know what they are talking about which doesn't help at all....c'mon,people saying swap to a 5.9??? I wasn't even hinting to do that, I like my 6. Help me out here. Tell me your ase , I'll I've had in different forums is just stupid people that are acting like they know their stuff. Sorry for the rant...I just want to get done so I can enjoy my truck again

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ase certified mechanic, although I'm a sales manager where i work. The only person not ase certified where i work is my boss, because he's the owner and doesn't have to get his hands dirty. He makes sure we're all certified and trained due to the chances of all of us having to perform work in case we get too busy or other situations. How are you supposed to explain to a customer they're vehicle won't be done because you're mechanic called in sick and you have no one else to finish their rig?

I'm in the store I'd say 50 percent of the time. 25% I'm in the shop working, and the other 25% out at events showing off the jeeps or trucks.

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
Ok good, the way you explained it at first, i thought you were one of those dumb AutoZone guys that get "ase certified" throught there dumb program haha. Ok well then thank you, I have my answer. For future reference it might help to mention your experience. How was I to know? Sry ive just dealt with a lot of idiots who think they know it all,which had led me nowhere.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
My god I'm not worried about mileage so much, it will be better than the v8s period. And yes throttle body spacers are a joke on mpi. I'm not getting a different truck. All I was ask I g if the jet chip was worth it from someone who has dealt with it first hand. Now I have my answer. And about the average Joe comment......unless we are certified ase mechanics that get schooling regularly and do this every day....then all of us are average Joe's. Some more knowledge able then others with experience. Anyways, I somewhat have my answer....I'll look around some more for answers.

We don't get threads like this much where we get ******* at for providing the answers or better ways to do stuff. I may not be ase certified but these guys can probably verify that i know these motors more than most people...as does everybody that has commented. I've spent the last 5 years learning these trucks as well as i can and i work on jets during the week so i understand mechanical stuff.

Sorry for the rant i just don't like argument when EVERYBODY has answered the question in the same way.

And ive had a few drinks so i apologize lol

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
K, I'm going to end this argument now, and I wasn't ******** at people,I was annoyed that no one was giving me a realistic answer and just saying ....put a v8 in it. I don't want a v8, or I'd be asking how hard it'd be to do it. So if anyone got butthurt then my apologies. And if people would just post that there actually mechanics if they are, and not make it sound like there just blowing and going, it would be soooo much more helpful to everyone. Now I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm just trying to get a solution to my issue at hand. Because I've known of chips, actual chips that go to the computer work very well for good, no computer overide. So this just sparked my curiosity for the jet chips. Maybe my question was a little confusing

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Your factory ECU will dumb it BACK down. A performance ECU would be a better investment.

Here...

dapepper9;1161958 The jet will really only advance timing a COUPLE degrees and tell you to ruin premium gas. That's if it does anything at all and pcm doesn't override it[/QUOTE said:
And here....

To answer your question, anything that does not reprogram the pcm will not do anything. Only screws **** up. The pcm is the the computer that tells the engine how to run. Throw something in than the pcm just reprograms around it. You can really screw things up with crap like that. Same idea as sensors going out. Pcm goes haywire, runs rich, runs rough, etc.

If you're not concerned about power, why are you worrying about an inline chip? If you want to fry your pcm, just save the money on the jet chips and buy yourself a soldering iron, open the pcm up and go crazy. Radio shack sells them for like 10 bucks, much cheaper form of destruction.

And here.

We answered the question and said what it does. I'm not sure what else you're looking for, if you absolutely want an ase certified no **** mechanics answer go to a shop. I'm seriously not trying to be an ass and i apologize for how I've come off but idk how much more you want.

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
K but my issue was, I was hoping to talk to someone that has personally used them. Yes the ase mechanics guy helped, but that's why I kept on with the question. I was annoyed because early on was the "put in a v8"crap,and heresays on what it may or may not have done. I'll just call Chrysler on what to do about the computer. Thanks anyways guys. Not trying to start a commotion, it was just a misunderstanding on what I was needing.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I apologize for the v8 swap stuff, we have a tendency to get a little off topic and such. But the information about the device is accurate. None of us CURRENT members have used it but previous members have, with a little digging you should be able to find their posts with the search function though the posts are old so it might take a few minutes.

Basically anybody that tells you it's worth anything is suffering the from the effect of telling themselves it works because they spent a bunch of money on it aka butt dyno placebo. In reality, it's the same miracle cure snake oil bs that throttle body spacers are. Chrysler will more than likely tell you any computer modification will destroy your computer which isn't true. In fact if you want something like simple tuning like the jet claims for your v6 a superchips would be a good choice. Can be found for the same price or cheaper used in amazon or ebay or if you want new its about $100 more but it actually does change pcm settings until you decide to change em. Doesn't get overridden.

This forum is actually a great place for info about these trucks and if you choose to stick around you'll find this to be true and that its a great group of respectful guys that aren't going to bs you and will do their best to help you as best they can online, again even if we get a little bit off topic (if you don't believe me about that just read the "what did yout do today" sticky thread :roflsquared:).

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
I apologize for the v8 swap stuff, we have a tendency to get a little off topic and such. But the information about the device is accurate. None of us CURRENT members have used it but previous members have, with a little digging you should be able to find their posts with the search function though the posts are old so it might take a few minutes.

Basically anybody that tells you it's worth anything is suffering the from the effect of telling themselves it works because they spent a bunch of money on it aka butt dyno placebo. In reality, it's the same miracle cure snake oil bs that throttle body spacers are. Chrysler will more than likely tell you any computer modification will destroy your computer which isn't true. In fact if you want something like simple tuning like the jet claims for your v6 a superchips would be a good choice. Can be found for the same price or cheaper used in amazon or ebay or if you want new its about $100 more but it actually does change pcm settings until you decide to change em. Doesn't get overridden.

This forum is actually a great place for info about these trucks and if you choose to stick around you'll find this to be true and that its a great group of respectful guys that aren't going to bs you and will do their best to help you as best they can online, again even if we get a little bit off topic (if you don't believe me about that just read the "what did yout do today" sticky thread :roflsquared:).

Thank you!! That's really helpfully, didn't mean any disrespect to anyone, I know there's a lot of potential in my 6, that I'll eventually do...not looking for a powerhouse, just to unlock a little more hp/tq that I'm sure factory stuff restricts. I will look into superchips. I'll be sticking around, unlike other forums , yall actually respond.

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
Update: I found a place that will reprogram my computer with the new transmission type in it for $180. They check all the solder joints and 're do it all, then ship it back. I might try that if my computer doesn't recognize tranny on the test drive

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
Exactly what I was thinking :favorites13:

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Kid I go to school with bought a JET for his 90s Sierra with the 454 and within a week it FRIED his PCM. $850 for a new one. That should tell you all you need to know. I'd spend the $300 on something else man.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
How tha he'll is jet still in business.....you figure word would get around about how bad they suck? I can port and polish pretty well, I think I'll do that a little to my throttle body, upgrade cap rotor plugs wires and coil to something better than the cheap stuff that's on there, and a high flow filter, no not a hot air intake lol. New o2 sensors as well, all this will probably help quite a bit.