Joining 4th gen crowd in a week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
hey guys, i just sold my 2001 2nd gen 6 spd cummins last night, buying a 2010 crew laramie next weekend. Just looking for any info on them that would be new to me as far as going from an 01 to a 2010

My new truck does have the 68RFE trans which is a whole new game to me beings ive owned a manual 6 spd cummins only. What can you tell me about this trans and how do they hold up/life expectancy etc.

Truck has just a tidge over 120k miles, more than i originally wanted but this truck has the options i was looking for and met my price criteria. Just hoping i dont end up buying a problem beings its an auto trans truck. Never had a ball in bed that i could see, didnt see any kind of plate bolted to frame so im guessing its never towed heavy and/or far.

It doesnt look like its been deleted or had any kind of tuner/programmer installed.

Like i said, just new to this generation so any info about anything you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
Well overall the truck itself is a decent motor, it's the emissions that are the issues, and robb the power
of these trucks, and the sound of them as well. But once deleted it's a different animal! The stock transmission is pretty durable, I was putting out over 500 ponies with the stocker, and turbo with the H&S overdrive tune software. Do you plan on deleting the truck?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Transmission depends on how you and how it was treated
Be kin to the torque converter and it'll last longer

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I'll tell ya the headlights suck and they really need to be replaced. LOL ;)

OP
OP
CumminsCrazed

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
It's a dodge JJ. Should I have expected any diff? I actually meant to ask you if it's worth the upgrade to 13+ projectors with 55w digital 6000k HIDs.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
The stock projectors do ok with a HID kit (we don't sell the "digital" ones anymore.......almost 2 years since we changed that). There are a LOT of options on the new rams, its just insane really......

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
Another easy performanceq modification, very simple, and not that expensive, is a must for the 6.7 Cummins. That is deleting the stock grid heater, this allows way more airflow to the 5th, and 6th cylinders which is starving for airflow. It gives you the capability of running more fuel for more horsepower gains, lower egt's, lowering drive pressure which is a contributor to blowing head gaskets. I see your from Iowa, and it gets pretry cold up in that area, I've had no issues starting my truck in cold weather. I have been in much colder climates, such as Montana, and North and South Dakota. I was in a snow storm in Fargo North Dakota several years ago, and no issues the next morning, I believe it was like -20 and started right up. You can also plug in the heater cord if your worried about it. The 6.7's stock grid heater has a larger more surface area.than the previous 5.9 Cummins, at this moment is full of soot. Well, you get the point I'm trying to get a cross lol. It pairs up nicely with an intake manifold for even better airflow benefits. It's a good idea also to remove egr/cooler for future leaks, removing 50 lbs of junk in the engine bay, and it will give your truck a louder intake sound paired up with 5 inch turbo-back, and cold air intake system. A lot of guys say the 6.7 is quite cmpaired to the previous 5.9, my 6.7 is about 5 times louder in the engine bay than my wife's 06 5.9. , with the proper airflow improvements it will be as loud if not louder than a 5.9. It just depends on how and what you install. These 6.7's like a lot of air, and when mixed with the right amout of fuel, and tuning will add up to the previous 5.9, if so even more! I would also recommend an exhaust manifold such as BD Diesel Performance, PDI, and Speed Steed. I have the Speed Steed competition one. The best way is to buid your truck, step by step, than just throwing a bunch of parts all at once. Take care, and good luck with your 6.7 Cummins.

OP
OP
CumminsCrazed

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
thanks for all the info man. ill check into that grid heater, may be something i delete in summer months and put back in as temps drop. theres multiple times in the winter i have no choice but to not plug in so deleting permanently is probably not an option as of right now.