Lifter Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
One link? proves you didn't read what I posted, lol. your sour dude and wrong.

Go back super genius and read what I posted on the fuel economy standard that allows the larger cabs 10mpg less, ok Alice? And the third link on Trumps fight over it. Jesus, try learning something. see 1,2,3 linky's not one? Like you said one, as in you lied? ok what does that do to your argument? when you lie? You can take the last word as in this has strayed from the OP anyone, sorry OP>
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

:popcorn:

stanleybadams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just repair the lifters, I do not understand how that is an issue. There are things I do not know but common reason I have it in spades, so why cant you just replace the broken line of lifters??????

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just repair the lifters, I do not understand how that is an issue. There are things I do not know but common reason I have it in spades, so why cant you just replace the broken line of lifters??????

If the lifters and/or cam lobe(s) are worn down, where does the metal go?

Ive honestly always wondered how the prescribed fixed is ONLY replacing cam and/or lifters....how can one tell for sure the metal shavings didnt end up somewhere they arent supposed to be?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have the oil pump pulled out of the engine I tore down with a cam/lifter issue. I’ll open it up and post pictures of any damage to it, I’m curious. When I had a a wrist pin come loose and damage the cylinder wall there was a ton of metal in there, here is the oil pump c190add85bc3f9e56089350e857f077c.jpg
b39a54ca3b4a0ecb14a0f50f82b63713.jpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Monday I had what I believe a lifter fail causing a knock on the passenger side of the block. I stopped the truck and immediately had it towed to the dealer. Long story short, the lifter failure seems to be common with the Hemi's and the dealer claims it's unrepairable. Quoted me $11k for a new 5.7... Had the RAM towed back to my house and called a local shop that I've delt with in the past. The mechanic is working on a '14 RAM with the same issue! Owner had the same story as mine. Changed the oil, knocking started weeks later, dealer says new engine.

With that being said I'm looking to add a new cam and Hellcat lifters. I have a custom tune from Jay Greene and am leaning towards installing his Stage .5 HL v2 standard cam kit.

Has anyone had any experience with Jay's cams?

09 RAM 1500 5.7 2wd
120k miles
BBK shorty headers
MagnaFlow y pipe
Exhaust cutout (always open)
Flowmaster super 44
Resinator delete
K&N intake
180° t stat
Efan
Oil catch can
2/4 drop
Srt 22's
D.C. 270xp alternator
Pedal Commander
Diablo i2 GREENE TUNE
FASTMAN TB
Stock 3.92 gears
Stock TC

Picture is from the '14 the mechanic has ripped apart.

View attachment 133185

Had a lifter go bad on my 2010. Luckily I paid for the extended warranty, they ended up pretty much replacing the upper half of the motor, I was out 100 or 200 dollars for deductible.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
*sigh*

Don't "son" me... you don't know me, and your "trust me" is an appeal to accomplishment. BOTH logical fallacies which do nothing to advance your argument and, in fact, only serve to advertise the weakness of your position.

So really the only support you've got is ONE article from five years ago.

What's a "MILLIONS" fine to a company with assets in the billions? Wells Fargo was hit with a $1 BILLION fine back in April, and they're still doing business. It's chump change.

No company is going to discontinue a product that sells because of some idiotic government regulation that, in all likelihood, won't even last. They'll either eat the fine or, more likely, find a way to pass the cost on to the consumer through price increases.

Outside of sports cars 2-door vehicles just don't sell anymore. What evidence do I have supporting this? How many 2-door vehicles are still available on the market? How many have gone to the graveyard?

After a short read of that article. Both of you guys are right.

It costs the manufacturer the same to build a single cab vs quad/crew and the gov fines you if the wheel base is too short vs the company's other offerings

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That's the route I would take.

A few years back I had 2 lifters fail in an old Pontiac Grand Am (3.4L V6)... we tore the engine down, replaced all the lifters (might as well if you are in there) got new gaskets and new head bolts then put the whole thing back together. Ran like a champ afterwords.

If you are worried about metal bits floating around the engine change the oil about 2 weeks after you do the work, then change it again after about 1000mi. That should catch anything in there.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think Nissan, Toyo, and Ford Ranger have all followed Ram on reg cab discoed. It is a matter of time before they all do unless they relax the Obama era rule. I think Nissan was first, which was too bad because they make great trucks. We used one for delivering freezers and we had 100.000's of thousands of miles on that thing before transferred it to a satellite office where they put 100,000's of miles on before my best friend actually bought it with over 500,000 miles on it. I forget who he sold it to but I bet that thing is still on the road. That truck was a constant conversation piece amongst all of us truck drivers.

Forcing companies and people to pay extra for longer trucks which get worse gas mileage is just liberalism at it's stupidest. Like can't anyone explain these things to the "decision" makers? Dude, you are burning more fossil fuels with this decision not less. I can't fathom how much more gas that little reg cab truck would have burned over it's 500,000 plus miles if it was a crew cab. Seams like common sense has nothing to do with how we are governed. Maybe Ford and Chevy didn't make the move simply because Trump is in office, but the sad thing is the foreign trucks which get better mileage took the rule seriously so those are no longer an option.

I see those Napa and Fastenal trucks everywhere around here. I wonder what the Napa trucs will be because they have always used the smaller trucks, most of the fastenal trucks were Ram reg cabs. Sorry for rambling, i just can't make sense of this one.

Seems to me the loophole is to build a reg cab with an 8 foot bed.

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
For **** sake... I'm just looking for help regarding the lifter failure. Not 7 pages or ranting about politics and CAFE.

Local performance shop tore into the engineer today and found two bad lifters with minor wear on the cam. Both failed lifters still spun though. The picture of the lifter I posted earlier was completely ceased.

Ordered Jay Greene's Stage .5 cam kit, gaskets, timing chain, plugs, etc. Also switching to Amsoil

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For **** sake... I'm just looking for help regarding the lifter failure. Not 7 pages or ranting about politics and CAFE.

Local performance shop tore into the engineer today and found two bad lifters with minor wear on the cam. Both failed lifters still spun though. The picture of the lifter I posted earlier was completely ceased.

Ordered Jay Greene's Stage .5 cam kit, gaskets, timing chain, plugs, etc. Also switching to Amsoil
Well for ***** sake, don't you realize that politics and cafe is probably part of the reason we have this situation? You are going to 5/30, right?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Those members who have had this issue and replaced their valve train,,,from what I have read, they went with a aftermarket valve train. When you read the posts on this subject you will see that their a number of quality company's to choose from. Sounds like it is flip a coin because so many company's make roller cams.

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Those members who have had this issue and replaced their valve train,,,from what I have read, they went with a aftermarket valve train. When you read the posts on this subject you will see that their a number of quality company's to choose from. Sounds like it is flip a coin because so many company's make roller cams.
And I'm doing the same, except w/ Non-MDS(Hellcat) lifters and Jay's Comp cam

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

Yeah that tends to happen around here...

Good choice on the cam kit, at least you’ll be getting some more power out of your trouble

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well for ***** sake, don't you realize that politics and cafe is probably part of the reason we have this situation? You are going to 5/30, right?

Of course. But 7 pages of ranting doesn't help the situation at hand.

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah that tends to happen around here...

Good choice on the cam kit, at least you’ll be getting some more power out of your trouble

I Bleed Ram Trucks
I see that now. I ran Mobil 1 because if members recommendations. Now Mobil 1 is **** and RedLine is the new go to oil...

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

When it's all said and done , where you gonna wind up $ wise? I'd rather invest money and get it done right than have the dealership piece it back together.