Maxtrac or CST Suspension lift for 2WD any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you doing the install yourself?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you doing the install yourself?

No, kind of a first lol

I'm out of town THursday/Friday for work and I'm leaving my truck at. Customers shop and they are doing it.

Should be Interesting to see how the truck handles 35's with only 1.5" lift

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh ok. I was going to suggest you get a spring compressor if so. It is a ***** super effer getting taller springs or springs with spacers back in there.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh ok. I was going to suggest you get a spring compressor if so. It is a ***** super effer getting taller springs or springs with spacers back in there.

Yeah I watched a few YouTube videos, I've got a strut spring compressor but I'm not sure how well that would work with our massive springs.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I watched a few YouTube videos, I've got a strut spring compressor but I'm not sure how well that would work with our massive springs.
Well one thing I did when I put my springs in was completely forget to take off the brake caliper. So when I would push down to try and squeeze the spring in I would be scared to stretch my brake line. After I went thru the blood, sweat, and tears and finished the install I realized I could have just un-bolted the caliper. [emoji28]

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried asking the CST rep if his kit actually gains more travel, along with some other related questions this thread gave me, and he never responded.

Also emailed Kore about doing something custom, but they said they don't do that kind of stuff. They don't even sell their suspension kits any more; they only sell the complete kit, called "The Minotaur," to the dealerships.

So I'm thinking now, since lift springs don't do anything for performance, I might just go with MaxTrac's 4.5" spindle so I can keep the softer stock springs. Just need to decide on the front shock. I want to go with the Fox 2.0's, but I can't find the specific one for 2WD's. However, if someone has a specially valved shock that provides good on and off road performance for our trucks, I'd go with that.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got my truck back from the shop. 1.5" coil spacer, 1/4" wheel spacer, 20x8 stock wheels w/ 35x12.50x20 tires. Minor rubbing on full lock in reverse or forward when on a decline, otherwise it's fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my truck back from the shop. 1.5" coil spacer, 1/4" wheel spacer, 20x8 stock wheels w/ 35x12.50x20 tires. Minor rubbing on full lock in reverse or forward when on a decline, otherwise it's fine.
Looks good bro!

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Sausec17, did you have much luck with clearing the spring bucket with any aftermarket upper control arms?

This whole 2WD suspension lift problem is bugging me. Can't believe how expensive our trucks are compared to the rest of the market for aftermarket kits. Honestly, not sure if I said this before, but I would think making a spindle that's dimensionaly taller, using a tall ball joint, or just fabbing up control arms that work around the spring bucket wouldn't be that hard...

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Sausec17, did you have much luck with clearing the spring bucket with any aftermarket upper control arms?

This whole 2WD suspension lift problem is bugging me. Can't believe how expensive our trucks are compared to the rest of the market for aftermarket kits. Honestly, not sure if I said this before, but I would think making a spindle that's dimensionaly taller, using a tall ball joint, or just fabbing up control arms that work around the spring bucket wouldn't be that hard...

I've never tried any aftermarket control arms. If I knew for sure that they cleared the coil bucket they would be on my truck ASAP with some longer shocks. I'm not going to be the guinea pig on this one lol I played the guinea pig in the beginning of my truck build with a bunch of different components, got expensive!

I think our kits are fairly priced. I haven't compared to other 2wd kits for other makes, but compared to the 4wd kits I think we have it easy.

I haven't tried to go down the custom route either because I don't plan on keeping this truck past this year.

At 10.5" of lift and 37" tires, I'm content. But next truck will definitely be bigger, no matter what it takes. Oh yea, and it will be a 2wd as well, for all the haters :)

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wondering that I might be the Guinea pig on this one then. I'm going to contact everyone that makes an upper control arm with the uniball feature to see what they say.

Keep it up with the 2WD's, man. Most people with 4x4 never see dirt anyway.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wondering that I might be the Guinea pig on this one then. I'm going to contact everyone that makes an upper control arm with the uniball feature to see what they say.

Keep it up with the 2WD's, man. Most people with 4x4 never see dirt anyway.

If you contact those companies please post their answers. I know you will, but I'm curious in their answers. I honestly don't see how an aftermarket control arm is any improvement over stock, unless it clears the coil bucket. I know they are "beefier" but I don't see any performance gains. I'm still learning, so maybe there is more to them than what I am seeing.

As for 2wds, my next truck build is going to be SICK. I can guarantee that! With having a new job, gym, grocery store, and anything you can think of within 3 miles from the house...it will have no limits! All that money I will save from NOT buying a 4wd will come in handy on the build.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will post it here.

So far, CST has claimed their upper control arms provide 1" more of suspension travel, just as most of the other manufacturers of similar upper control arms say. However, I think that only applies to 4WD's with longer-than-stock shocks. Still hammering their rep with questions about the details of this claim, specifically how a 2WD's front suspension travel can increase without going custom, but the rep is kind of dodging the questions.

Still waiting on Icon, Total Chaos Fab, and... I think that's it.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've put on about 75 miles, no issues and I'm very happy. Rubbing is only apparent on the fender liner / edge of mud flap on lock to lock. Looks much bigger and aggressive in person.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 46

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357