Maxtrac or CST Suspension lift for 2WD any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking more and more that I might just settle with the 4.5" spindle if we really can't lift the suspension. Really disappointed by this, unless one of manufactures I'm waiting on says otherwise.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking more and more that I might just settle with the 4.5" spindle if we really can't lift the suspension. Really disappointed by this, unless one of manufactures I'm waiting on says otherwise.
Yah I know man. I keep drooling over the long travel kits. I wish I was a skilled welder and wasn't afraid to hack up the truck to build my own front suspension.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yah I know man. I keep drooling over the long travel kits. I wish I was a skilled welder and wasn't afraid to hack up the truck to build my own front suspension.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Me too, man. I'd like to fab up some control arms that would clear the bucket and mass produce it to other 2WD fellas. Oh well...

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So CST, MaxTrac, Icon, and Total Choas all said the same thing: they don't really have a 2WD lift kit for serious off-roading, and don't plan on making one, unfortunately.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So CST, MaxTrac, Icon, and Total Choas all said the same thing: they don't really have a 2WD lift kit for serious off-roading, and don't plan on making one, unfortunately.

Not surprising unfortunately.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Seen that coming, disappointing

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well maybe in the future the aftermarket will change for the better for us 2WD owners. Until then, party on!

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
By the way, I called Bilstein to ask about the shocks that go with the MaxTrac springs, and the rep said he doesn't recommend them paired with the springs. Nothing against Maxtrac, as it isn't one of their products. Just some food for thought.

I just read this whole thread and let me first say that I do agree, this is by far one of the best 2wd suspension thread on all the boards...
I do laugh at the fact that every dozen or so replies Nick will randomly throw in an update on his build lol

ANYWAYS, Maxtrac, I was hoping you would be able to explain/expand on the statement above?

I have an email from Sean himself that states "The Bilstein shock is a semi private label shock that Bilstein makes for us and is designed to work with 0"-2.5" of lift." But yet they dont recommend them?

Maxtrac Suspension

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I just read this whole thread and let me first say that I do agree, this is by far one of the best 2wd suspension thread on all the boards...
I do laugh at the fact that every dozen or so replies Nick will randomly throw in an update on his build lol

ANYWAYS, Maxtrac, I was hoping you would be able to explain/expand on the statement above?

I have an email from Sean himself that states "The Bilstein shock is a semi private label shock that Bilstein makes for us and is designed to work with 0"-2.5" of lift." But yet they dont recommend them?

This shock was originally built by Bilstein for the 88-98 Chevy/GMC C1500 truck. When we designed our kit for the Ram 1500 2wd and were looking to offer a Bistein upgrade, Bilstein did not offer a shock for the front of this truck. So we did some searching and discovered that the shock Bilstein currently made for the 88-98 C1500 was the perfect length and had a great valving for the weight of the truck. After installing a few of these on some test trucks and getting some miles on them, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive. The shocks ride great.
The only reason I can guess that the Bilstein rep would say he doesn’t recommend that shock for that truck is because they have never tested it on a Ram 1500 2wd before and the shock was not designed for that truck so they don’t want to take on any liability. I would do the same thing if I were in their shoes because I wouldn’t want to take responsibility for someone changing the intended application of the product. Again, that is my best guess as to why he did not recommend it. I hope this makes sense and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Thanks!

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well here's my update. I had installed some crew cab springs on my regular cab truck and it gave me somewhat of a level. Unfortunately the springs settled like crazy. From about 38" from the ground to the fender to 36". This first picture shows with the front springs in their settled state and with some cut rear springs so I wouldn't have crazy rake.

0116161433_zpscuql9dql.jpg

Well after finally getting fed up with the rake I decided to follow Nick and install some Daystar 1.5" spacers. I figured that the springs in their settled state would get me to about a 37.5" inch front fender height. I was happy with that. Wrong. Very wrong. I installed the spacers and after it was all said and done my fenders were at about 38 1/4" with stock shocks. The ride with stock shocks was TERRIBLE. It was like driving a boat it was so bouncy. I decided to try my Maxtrac shocks and to my surprise (stupidly), the fender height went up to 39"...

0328161818_zpsg3mozgtt.jpg

At this point I was sitting about an inch higher in the front. I could not have that. So uncut crew cab springs went on.

0330161659_zpskj5dxekn.jpg

The truck looked great but I was getting coil bucket contact like crazy. I knew if I had it set up like this much longer some new upper control arms would have to be ordered soon. So today I decided I would try to get regular cab springs back on the truck (which I don't have). While I wait I decide to cut a coil off the front springs to lower it about an inch and was hoping the ride would be better with the stock shocks.

0331161624_zps7p4i7ten.jpg

Thankfully the ride is WAY better and not bouncy at all. As you can see from the picture above it still looks pretty level and has about a inch rake. I plan on putting some regular cab springs on it with the spacers and some Bilstein 4600 shocks and then I'll leave it alone. I need some bigger tires though for real. Sorry for all the numbers and the cut springs are only temporary so no need to explain to me about the negatives of cutting springs.:roflsquared:

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
Is it just me or your bed is the 6.4?

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, thanks to Ram Man for giving me this link in another thread, there SEEMS to be a performance shock for our trucks. I'm not sure how or if they overcame the coil bucket issue but CST now has a great looking shock for 2wd's. I figure it may be something decent for us and had to share. Thanks again Ram Man!

CST Performance Suspension Ram 1500 2wd Dirt Series 2.0 Shock Absorber # CSR-5536

These have been out for quite some time and my theory is, how much "performance" can you really gain when your suspension travel is only 1"-4"?

I forgot stock shock measurements, but these are a tad longer and will allow coil bucket contact also.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
These have been out for quite some time and my theory is, how much "performance" can you really gain when your suspension travel is only 1"-4"?

I forgot stock shock measurements, but these are a tad longer and will allow coil bucket contact also.

Not saying you're wrong but this is in theory until someone actually tries them out or CST can confirm one way or another.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517