New exhaust any torque loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am swapping the stock muffler for pretty much a straight pipe setup. I am putting a dynomax shorty bullet in, model 24250, 3 inch in and out(9 inch overall length, 6 inch case) to a y pipe and to factory duals. Will I lose much if any low end torque? Pics and video to follow tomorrow. Basically wanted to build my own mufflex system for much less money. I'm $65 in parts (25 for dynomax bullet, 20 for y pipe, 20 for 2.25 inch piping)and my cousin welds so saving ~200.
This will be a bolt in setup.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
One thing I would caution you on is the mufflex may be more money but it is stainless vs the aluminized you are putting on. I don't know how much salt they use in Idaho but that setup wouldn't make it 2 years in michigan.

OP
OP
Jerry1984

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No salt here so should be good to go. Here's the finished product. Took about 2.5 hours to weld it all together and put on. The tips were a bit of a ***** to align and be straight but it is done. Love the sound and for $65 I'm very happy.
2014 ram 1500 5.7 dynomax - YouTube
picture.php

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
No salt here so should be good to go. Here's the finished product. Took about 2.5 hours to weld it all together and put on. The tips were a bit of a ***** to align and be straight but it is done. Love the sound and for $65 I'm very happy.
2014 ram 1500 5.7 dynomax - YouTube
picture.php

Sounds great! How's mds? That's the only reason I haven't done a exhaust yet.

OP
OP
Jerry1984

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds great! How's mds? That's the only reason I haven't done a exhaust yet.

Turn the radio to 15-20 with windows up and you can't even hear it at freeway speeds. Worse case you can lock out mds if just running around town by downshifting manually then going back up to the 8. Tow/haul doesn't lock out mds which was a bit surprising to me. Mds didn't bother me at all on the 20 mile trip to work this morning. I'll take manually shifting every once in a while to disable mds to hear this motor.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Turn the radio to 15-20 with windows up and you can't even hear it at freeway speeds. Worse case you can lock out mds if just running around town by downshifting manually then going back up to the 8. Tow/haul doesn't lock out mds which was a bit surprising to me. Mds didn't bother me at all on the 20 mile trip to work this morning. I'll take manually shifting every once in a while to disable mds to hear this motor.

I have the 6 speed and tow haul shuts mds off on my truck. I had a 06 that I had a many exhausts systems on and mds drove me nuts, but I never had a setup with resonators.

Also in the picture it looks like the 2.25 is expanded is this true? And the tail pipe slide into that? When/if I build one I want to keep itrack stainless and bolt in. I'm thinking about the Magnaflow xl round, there is a little more muffler there than the dynomax but not by much. Hopeing to get the same tone just at a lower DB.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jerry1984

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 6 speed and tow haul shuts mds off on my truck. I had a 06 that I had a many exhausts systems on and mds drove me nuts, but I never had a setup with resonators.

Also in the picture it looks like the 2.25 is expanded is this true? And the tail pipe slide into that? When/if I build one I want to keep itrack stainless and bolt in. I'm thinking about the Magnaflow xl round, there is a little more muffler there than the dynomax but not by much. Hopeing to get the same tone just at a lower DB.

I read your reply to another post and that seems to be a difference between 6 and 8 speeds with the tow/haul and mds shutoff. Mine definitely doesn't turn it off. Yes the 2.25 inch pipes have a flare so that they can slip over stock dual tailpipes. My cousin slit the sides of them and the muffler so that the clamps could make them as tight as possible.

Lawhand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
what i didnt like about my mufflex was the low end torque loss. you dont feel it right at first but after about 4-5 months go and drive a stock Ram. then you will want a muffler back.

OP
OP
Jerry1984

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what i didnt like about my mufflex was the low end torque loss. you dont feel it right at first but after about 4-5 months go and drive a stock Ram. then you will want a muffler back.

In that case mine is simply clamped in so I can put it back in if the need arises. I doubt it will, but just in case I kept it clamped in rather than welded. I'm pretty easy on the gas so don't notice off the line torque much. I do tow a camper though so I'll see if it does fine or not.