Oil Change ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'm about to drive from Albuquerque, NM to Burns Flat, OK and back in the next two days. I haven't changed the oil since it came off the line and I'm at just under 6000 miles on the truck.

I'll be using Royal Purple and probably a mobil one filter.

My questions are:

I'll need 6 or 7 qts?

Is the filter I'll need the same for the 2013's as previous year models?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
your book or DVD that came with the truck should have fluid capacities in it.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
7 quarts is correct, but I would definitely get 8. The filter for your truck is the same as previous year models.

OP
OP
ramflava

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thanks everyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
OP
ramflava

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
What's the oil weight? 5w-20?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
5w20 is correct. Royal purple Filters are much better then Mobil One filters too.

OP
OP
ramflava

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Cool. Got the oil changed with 5w-20 and used the Mopar filter.

OP
OP
ramflava

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'm ginna look it up in a while, but can anyone tell me how to reset the oil gauge in the 2013's?

Xtreme545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should turn key to ACC and depress skinny pedal 3x

Sent from rock using chisel and hammer

OP
OP
ramflava

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Got it. Put it to run without actually cranking the engine. Then press gas 3x

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
5w20 is correct. Royal purple Filters are much better then Mobil One filters too.

Have you pulled them open they are both Champion lab I am pretty sure same filter different colors.

$miley

OP
OP
ramflava

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Have you pulled them open they are both Champion lab I am pretty sure same filter different colors.

$miley

I saw the Mopar one and figure "what the hell." It's the exact same one that came from the company and comparisons of oil filters alway end up going no where, everyone has an opinion. I've never actually research them, but I hear a lot about Fram filters being over priced for less part performance.

JimE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I saw the Mopar one and figure "what the hell." It's the exact same one that came from the company and comparisons of oil filters alway end up going no where, everyone has an opinion. I've never actually research them, but I hear a lot about Fram filters being over priced for less part performance.

Yup, the oil filter discussions have been going on since the first ones showed up over 80 years ago. Real fact is no filter is a guarantee of anything other than preventing chunks of gunk from being circulated. If a filter gets clogged up oil circulation just by-passes it.

Best bet is to frequently look at and smell the oil when checking oil. (everyone does check fluids regularly I hope) If oil looks off color (most synthetics excluded) or it smells bad, it's time to change. Makes no difference that the stinking manual recommendations imply you can go another thousand miles before changing, it's time to Change it.

Earlier in this thread, the discussion of viscosity arose and while it is true the manual says 5W-20 for most driving, it also suggest 5W-30 for different duty in differing ambient temperature conditions. Oil viscosity arguments/discussions have been going on since the first detergent oil appeared and intensified with the introduction of multi-viscosity lubricants. Word of advice if one is routinely using their RAM for serious pulling of heavily loaded trailers even 5W-30 may breakdown in hot summer weather and trash your cam and rod bearings.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

$miley

According to my old research Mobil One filter was part cellulose and part synthetic and royal Purple was 100% synthetic media. Also, even though RP is built at the same place as many others, they have way better materials including heavier metal. Haven't you seen the youtube on them yet?

Here ya go.