Radio change’s channel on its own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BruceM28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently my radio will change from one preset to another, and back again. I pretty much only listen to Sirius, don’t know if it does it on am-fm. I’ve tried banging on the radio, switching the steering wheel controls back and forth,nothing. There has been no updates done to anything, seems worse when it’s very hot. I have a lifetime extended warranty, but the dealershis is a bunch of clowns. Any ideas?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it's the 8.4 screen, You can try cleaning the screen with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) but it's probably a problem with the screen itself.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Recently my radio will change from one preset to another, and back again. I pretty much only listen to Sirius, don’t know if it does it on am-fm. I’ve tried banging on the radio, switching the steering wheel controls back and forth,nothing. There has been no updates done to anything, seems worse when it’s very hot. I have a lifetime extended warranty, but the dealershis is a bunch of clowns. Any ideas?
2018 + truck with AA/CP radio?

Is there a bubble at the top?

Most likely the Digitizer adhesive between the screen/Digitizer is letting go and causing the issue. Known problem with early 2018-19 Panasonic 8.4 radios due to bad SL01 screen assembly from LG which needs replaced with version SL03 part.

Reference’s to help (see @SitKneelBend s info at RamForum where you can find it)

>> Over at, SitKneelBend is a great resource for help replacing the screen and gave me pointers.

How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio POST 3051

>> He recommends replacing the original Thermal Pads while you’re in there, I did (Arctic Thermal Pad 145 x 145 x 1.5 mm - Silicone Based Thermal Pad).

>>> Some of my posts 8.4 Uconnect touch screen delaminating Post 209 and Post 223 about it.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The screen looks fine

What year is the radio?
is the original to your 2013 truck or an upgrade to the 4c Panasonic with Android Auto/Carplay?

OP
OP
B

BruceM28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 Laramie with the Alpine radio/nav system. Original

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BruceM28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes it will switch to the next preset, sometimes just to the next station numerically

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Software does not cause this issue. Screen delamination, steering wheel controls or radio buttons being loose and wiggling on rough road, or other issues with the harware does.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Software does not cause this issue. Screen delamination, steering wheel controls or radio buttons being loose and wiggling on rough road, or other issues with the harware does.
Sometimes it will switch to the next preset, sometimes just to the next station numerically

So, the question is, Bruce, does the intermittent station change happen while you're driving and/or sitting stationary?

And, welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
2013 Laramie with the Alpine radio/nav system. Original

If original 2013 8.4 Harmon radio, then screen delamination is likely not the issue and likely one of the other items that @Dean2 mentioned.

Fyi... There was a recall for 4th gen trucks awhile back where they found that some trucks had the wiring harness inside the wheel pinched in-between covers which caused intermittent issues with cruise control and radio controls like you're seeing.

To help isolate the issue, you could also try unplugging the HVAC/radio Bezel connector temporarily .. That would eliminate the Bezel as the issue and if it still happens, it would suggest the steering wheel controls (or radio, but less likely).

OP
OP
B

BruceM28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had that issue with a 2003 Ram that I had. I could tilt the wheel and make the headlights flash.
The problem with this truck is it does it moving or sitting still. I’m pretty sure it’s in the radio itself because I can hit the dash near the screen and it will change, but not always. I will try unplugging that harness and go from there. Just trying to avoid dealer at all costs.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was that an actual recall or just a TSB?

When questioning any previous posts, it just makes everyone's life easier if you use the quote button.

This is especially beneficial in multi-page posts to save grief for late-comers that are trying to catch on the fault and regular members that are managing multiple incidents that are similar.

The easier you make this for people trying to help, the faster it will get resolved. :cool: