8.4 Uconnect touch screen delaminating....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It seems it isn't just our UAQ radios that suffer from screen delamination. Saw this gas pump the other day.

IMG_1309.jpeg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Here are some of my notes from my DIY repair.

1. MMobil UV LOCA from Amazon - It was type TP-1000N. It has a thin body that really helps get the bubbles out. The N2500 was too thick and hard to get the bubbles out. Be generous when applying it. I starting squirting in the center of the screen and used about half of a 50 gram tube. I tried using less but chasing the air bubbles out was beyond my patience. Slightly bow the screen when starting to relaminate really helps chase out the bubbles. Push very very lightly to remove bubbles. Pushing too hard flexes the screen and pushes the LOCA out. It sucks air back in when you release pressure. Bubbles galore.
2. Use a plugin UV light to cure the LOCA. I bought a 15 watt LED one from Amazon. I cured the LOCA in the house using that to get it set. Finished it off with 1 hour in the bright Florida sun. Used the LED light to cure the edges under the mask by shining the light in from the side. 1 hour per side.
3. Used plastic razor blades and holder from Amazon to remove the old LOCA. I tried many solvents; Acetone, alcohol, MEK, mineral spirits, brake cleaner, etc. The better the solvent worked the faster is evaporated leaving the sticky mess in a blob still on the screen. I found far and away the best thing is plain old vegetable oil. Put a few drops on a spot and dip the plastic razor blade in it. The blade moves the LOCA and the oil keeps it from sticking back to the screen and the razor blade. Took about 15 minutes to clean the screen and digitizer with oil.
4. Optically the screen looks perfect. I ran into an issue where there was a dead spot at the bottom. I think I may have damaged the etching on the back of the digitizer since I used piano wire to separate the digitizer from the LCD screen. Don't use wire. Maybe fishing line would work better and minimize the chance of damaging the digitizer.
5. Finish the job off with a Brotect screen protector from Amazon. It takes a week or so to get it from Germany but it is the only one I have found that does not have any glare. All the others are too shiny and you get lots of glare / reflections from the screen protector.
Awesome advice! This will be what I recommend others do in the future, especially now that we know some of the eBay screens shipping now are poorly/half repaired (in my opinion) delaminating screens.

BBhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was it an ebay purchase? If so, return should go smoothly. But downside is where to turn next? I have a feeling these remanufactured units from MOPAR is the only "safe option" since they have the 2 year warranty.
Yes it was from ebay and they said I can return it withouta problem. I also asked if all the screens they have are from the same batch. They said yes. Keep us updated on the mopar unit I may check into that option. Thanks

BBhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sorry to hear that. It looks like I will no longer recommend that seller either. Apologies for putting you on that path.

I think from now on I will only point folks to fixing their current screen. Another member is getting ready to try the repair. If that goes well maybe they can add their notes to mine and make a viable DIY option? The repair cost is under $20 but is time consuming...
No problem my friend. I appreciate it.its strange how it only took 6 days after I installed it to start delaminating. Its still in the truck and getting worse much quicker than the original.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No problem my friend. I appreciate it.its strange how it only took 6 days after I installed it to start delaminating. Its still in the truck and getting worse much quicker than the original.
On the factory installed screen there is a gasket that holds the LOCA in to cure. If they "repaired" it that gasket might be gone (it's not reusable but not needed if you cure the new LOCA). I imagine they use the gasket to simplify the manufacturing/curing process. It keeps the LOCA under the transparent part of the screen where it can be cured by UV light. In a proper repair you will need to shine a UV light on the sides edges of the screen to cure the LOCA under the non transparent portions of the digitizer.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Yours lasted 100% longer than the one a received from an Aliexpress vendor. It gave up the LOCA in 3 days. Returning it to China via Aliexpress disputes was a money loosing nightmare. IMHO, don't order stuff from Aliexpress unless you are prepared to loose the money. I think the name may be related to Alibaba and the 40 Thieves.

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it was from ebay and they said I can return it withouta problem. I also asked if all the screens they have are from the same batch. They said yes. Keep us updated on the mopar unit I may check into that option. Thanks
My screen was delivered two days ago for my return. I received an email this morning saying my refund should post on my CC in 2 or 3 business days. All things considered, a pretty smooth return and grateful that I ordered through eBay.

Regarding the MOPAR remanufactured unit... it was supposed to arrive late last week. I called the parts department on Friday seeking an update and I was told the item had been updated with a delayed shipping and now it may be mid-August before they arrive. At the rate my delamination is spreading, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole screen is affected by the time it arrives (assuming it even does). All that being said, I've got my eye on a 2020 Laramie that I made trade in for and just let the dealership deal with the screen when traded. We'll see.

BBhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol its funny you say that about the Laramie. The other day my brother said why don't you just trade it in for a new one. I love my truck but this screen thing is really becoming a pita. I might take a ride to the dealer this weekend just to look :gr_grin:

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol its funny you say that about the Laramie. The other day my brother said why don't you just trade it in for a new one. I love my truck but this screen thing is really becoming a pita. I might take a ride to the dealer this weekend just to look :gr_grin:
If I'm honest, and at the risk of public ridicule, this screen thing is what got me looking.... Which is crazy and I can't legitimately justify it all. $800 for a new screen/stereo vs several thousands for a new-to-me truck. But the bells and whistles of the Laramie vs the Bighorn, the 24k less miles, 2 years newer, and a really exceptional price on my trade and their truck (relatively speaking in this insane car market) have me looking hard. I'm going down on Saturday and I plan to bring my title and cash. We'll see what happens. But there's no doubt that the more financially prudent thing to do would be to swap the stereo and stay put. The Bighorn provides the best value imo of all the trims. But
those Laramies are nice . You only live once!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If I'm honest, and at the risk of public ridicule, this screen thing is what got me looking.... Which is crazy and I can't legitimately justify it all. $800 for a new screen/stereo vs several thousands for a new-to-me truck. But the bells and whistles of the Laramie vs the Bighorn, the 24k less miles, 2 years newer, and a really exceptional price on my trade and their truck (relatively speaking in this insane car market) have me looking hard. I'm going down on Saturday and I plan to bring my title and cash. We'll see what happens. But there's no doubt that the more financially prudent thing to do would be to swap the stereo and stay put. The Bighorn provides the best value imo of all the trims. But
those Laramies are nice . You only live once!
That's why I stay away from the dealership!

ReadRyan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
New here. Can I please get the link for a replacement screen? Mine just started to get bad this week after high temps. Thanks!

Attachments

• Ram Screen.jpg
    Ram Screen.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 8

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year is your truck @ReadRyan? Yours is worse than my 2018.

Attachments

• 20210802_184300.jpg
    20210802_184300.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210802_184157.jpg
    20210802_184157.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4

ReadRyan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I bought the truck this past March. I questioned the dealer about the small bubbles at the top of the screen and they told me it had an aftermarket screen protector on it like you'd put on an iPhone (obviously not true). I had no idea about this delaminating issue. I previously had a 2013 Ram with the 8.4" screen that was perfect when I traded it in. Today I called the dealer I bought it from and they said that they were only aware of this happening to one other customer. So frustrating.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what all dealerships tend to say. That's obviously not true.

I've been in contact with @RamCares and here is what I was just told.

There was a recent STAR case released in May 2021 in regard to Bubbles or Delamination On The Radio Display. Your dealer may be willing to work with you on this once they perform a proper diagnosis and consider all of the necessary information.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
New here. Can I please get the link for a replacement screen? Mine just started to get bad this week after high temps. Thanks!
I'm sorry, I'm no longer recommending the seller for replacing delaminating screens as some of theirs appear to now be "repaired" delaminating screens that "may leak"...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's what all dealerships tend to say. That's obviously not true.

I've been in contact with @RamCares and here is what I was just told.
Is there a case number associated with this by chance? I wonder if others could be helped by this if the knew where to tell a dealer to look?

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would recommend buying a remanufactured unit from your dealer (should run about $780 plus tax). Comes with two year warranty and is supposed to be "good as new." I don't think the potential savings by going eBay and the like are worth the time, hassle, and likely unsatisfactory results.

Edit: Seeing that the dealer you bought it from misled you (whether intentional or not), I'd think you'd have some grounds to seek assistance from them.