Remote Oil Filtration System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gears49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone done a remote oil filter for the 6.4? I have a 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. The oil filter for this engine is ridiculously small. After 5000 miles the oil looks like diesel oil. Wondering if there is a remote filtration system out there that uses a larger filter.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In all honesty, the small filters really are enough. Especially good quality ones. The oil isn't turning dark due to a lack of filtration.

Pacbrake makes a nice kit that I have on my truck, but I'd see about going with freer flowing fittings. It's a well made and complete kit.

Link discussing the kit

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
While I have not installed a remote oil filter on my 6.4, another option that you may want to consider is simply a larger filter that fits this engine. There are a few to choose from including the Royal Purple 20-500 or Fram XG2 or FE2. I have been using the XG2, which are good filters and are readily available at Wally World. In addition to the larger filter I use a high quality synthetic oil (several too choose from) and stick to 5,000 mile change intervals. Using this strategy I personally don't feel that a remote filter setup is necessary. JMHO.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
The best part of a remote filter is the ease of removal and replacement. Plus you get the oil away from the hot engine block. I don't have one (yet) on my TRX but I did a long time ago on my Dodge Diplomat Police. I used braided steel lines with AN fittings and ran it right up to the radiator support. It's 100% leak/seep free. Now I can use the tallest filter available (I believe it's 6") AND it is vertical so no spilling anywhere and so easy to get to!

Attachments

• 1989FilterTwo.jpg
    1989FilterTwo.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 1989Filter.jpg
    1989Filter.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 17

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
As @BLUKTY2 said, it’s easy to use a larger filter on a 6.4

Frankly, if your engine sheds enough solids to exceed the holding capacity of the small filter, it’s headed for the scrapyard anyway.

The best way to extend the life of your engine is just changing the oil more often.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Has anyone done a remote oil filter for the 6.4? I have a 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. The oil filter for this engine is ridiculously small. After 5000 miles the oil looks like diesel oil. Wondering if there is a remote filtration system out there that uses a larger filter.
I use this one on my 5.7,but i upgraded it to 5/8" (-10) hoses and fittings.Allows you to use the older style 3/4-16 thread pitch filters which gives you alot more options for bigger filters then the 22mm-1.5 thread pitch filters.With the dual filters i picked up a couple psi from idle on up to redline,as there's less pressure drop across 2 filters then 1 filter

Attachments

• DSCN4954.JPG
    DSCN4954.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 18

Aggie12

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997, now 2024
Engine
V-10, now 6.4l Hemi
I second the Royal Purple 20-500, which is significantly bigger than the stock filter (actually makes it easier to get at) and also to change the oil around the 5k mile mark. You incur additional risk by having a remote filter setup. Those hoses are potential leak paths, potential catastrophic leak paths routed around the engine compartment, when compared to something that is simply screwed to the block.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I second the Royal Purple 20-500, which is significantly bigger than the stock filter (actually makes it easier to get at) and also to change the oil around the 5k mile mark. You incur additional risk by having a remote filter setup. Those hoses are potential leak paths, potential catastrophic leak paths routed around the engine compartment, when compared to something that is simply screwed to the block.
With good quality hoses and fittings there's not much of a risk of a leaking hose on a hyd system that only operates at most 70 psi,it's not like a high pressure system that operates at 3,000+ psi.If you're worried about the hoses leaking hit up your local farm implement dealer and have them make up hoses rated for farm implements that operate at 3000+ psi

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I used steel braided lines and an fittings and there's not even the tiniest seep.