Sport Quad (4) Projector Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Hey guys, just wanted to post some pics of my quad projector retrofit I'm working on. I'm using Yike PJX 3" bi-led projectors that I bought straight from Chinatown for $140 shipped a set. These are THE SAME projectors as the Profile 2.0 on theretrofitsource that are going for $280 a set (make you wonder about the markup on the new Morimoto headlights nobody can ever get lol)

Here are the projectors.
Yike-2018-10-18V-5000K-6000K-4000LM.jpg

I'm using the $300 ebay oem replicas and they are pretty decent. They are sealed by butyl, so 15 minutes at 230* and they just pull apart. Literally. I would give them an 8 out of 10. The upper socket for the ball mount was a little loose, so I will have to tighten it a little, but nothing too badd and the interior is a flat black instead of gloss like the oem. Nothing that really bothers me honestly.

No pictures of me taking them apart. Just imagine a headlight sitting in an oven and you got it.

The old original projectors came out and the new ones put in. The bottom holes were the same distance apart and actually positioned the lens where it needed to be, so that made it easy. Just added a 3/4" spacer to bring it out to the same depth. The top took a small piece of metal to offset the mounting hole to align it with the top hole (will add pics once I get them)

IMG_2147.jpg

The inner projector is secured by the threaded shaft that can be attached to the rear of the projector. Yike sent me the wrong accessory pack which had the wrong nuts in them, so I'm waiting for them to show up.

Here is where I'm at now. I did pick up a 3" Apollo shroud and have made it fit around the inner projector quite nicely. Need to make sure my angles are right before i get it permanently attached.

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

I know the shroud is a little big, but the trim piece will hide a majority of it once its put in a trimmed down.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Here is another pic and a few of what I needed to trim on the inner reflector to fit the projector in there. Really not too bad at all surprisingly.

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

Will have to drill a few holes under the fan to allow more air flow and probably shave down the original bulb mount on the back of the reflector to make it easier to screw the but on.

I did receive my Diode Dynamics switchback leds today to replace the original, so I'll try and get them installed this weekend.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice never thought about putting quads in there hmm may have to explore this option for my next retro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good. Will be interested to see how the alignment is on those quad beams. I've seen some pretty botched aiming of 4 projectors and 4 steps. This was one of the reasons why I chose not to do quads but run matchbox 2.0 in the fogs instead.

I havent been in touch with the retrofitting world so I have no idea how those yikes perform. Looking forward to the completion

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Looks good. Will be interested to see how the alignment is on those quad beams. I've seen some pretty botched aiming of 4 projectors and 4 steps. This was one of the reasons why I chose not to do quads but run matchbox 2.0 in the fogs instead.

I havent been in touch with the retrofitting world so I have no idea how those yikes perform. Looking forward to the completion
So far it should be pretty good. I'm leaving one of the stock lights in for an alignment reference point and working one at a time. The interior projector using the threaded shaft will give me least amount of adjustment, just rotational. So I will get it matched to the factory beam and then adjust the outer projector to match as I have more adjustment with it. And surprisingly, they are damn parallel as is. So the roughly 4" gap between them is maintained at all distances, well at least 24 feet as that's the width of my shop. So you will definitely see all 4 slopes up close, but they should only look like two from afar.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Super curious how this turns out.

OP can you please share the link to where you purchased these projectors at online? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Super curious how this turns out.

OP can you please share the link to where you purchased these projectors at online? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Here you go:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...tml?spm=a2700.icbuShop.41413.8.20fe4f959jhuCD

Miya is the rep who helped me out. Lydia is another one but tends to push people towards buying them from TRS for twice as much... don't think so. Both are super nice and helpful, but with them being in Chinatown, they tend to respond late at night, so it can take a while to exchange communication. But two sets for the price of one, I'll wait.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any more pics or updates?

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I was able to get the switchback led boards jb welded on the one set, just need to try them out. Still waiting on my second pair and new nuts to arrive to really move forward. Want to get the projectors mounted in the right place before proceeding. Will probably get the second set of leds in tomorrow to have that done.

On a side note, why are clear corners so damn expensive???!! $50 for two little pieces of plastic? Ridiculous....

https://klearz.com/2013_ram_headlight_markers

...but just bought them anyways. Will be here in 2 days hopefully.

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I was able to get the switchback led boards jb welded on the one set, just need to try them out. Still waiting on my second pair and new nuts to arrive to really move forward. Want to get the projectors mounted in the right place before proceeding. Will probably get the second set of leds in tomorrow to have that done.

On a side note, why are clear corners so damn expensive???!! $50 for two little pieces of plastic? Ridiculous....

https://klearz.com/2013_ram_headlight_markers

...but just bought them anyways. Will be here in 2 days hopefully.

I bought the Klearz smoked corners....and yeah, they're not cheap.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
How are you going to setup the shrouds over the projectors? Are you going to keep them the same style and trim the shrouds to fit?

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
My plan is to keep the inner shroud as is (for the most part) and then trim the "beauty bezel", which has the stock shroud and everything attached, until it fits up to the front of the new shroud (leaving about an 1/8" gap for a little adjustability clearance). The c-bar (or whatever its called that stick outs from the stock shroud) will be removed and majority of the inner section of it will be dremmeled away as well. From looking at it head on, the top 1/4" and bottom 1/2" or so of the new shroud will be hidden, so it hopefully wont seem so massive and round. But still tinkering around with different ideas. I can tell you, doing it this way would be super easy with a 2.5" projector and smaller shroud, but there are no decent bi leds in 2.5" so here I am...

My biggest concern is cutting the c-bar. Once its cut, making the cut plastic look ok against the chrome as I can't paint chrome lol. Thought about trying to cut a portion of it out and reattach the end to just make it shorter, hopefully hiding the open cut areas. We shall see.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Awesome. I'm just trying to picture it in my mind.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Just received an email saying my second set of projectors and nuts are being shipped. Ordered on the 27 and shipped the first for those who decide to go this route. And I know they don’t ship out fri-sun. Probably come in next week sometime.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have stock projectors and really wanted to see what a 2nd projector would look like in there. Curious to see it all done.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I was able to get a few more things done today. Got the LEDs installed and was able to get the two projector drivers wired together and ready for install as well.

The top and bottoms jb welded on.
IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg
IMG_2169.jpg

The leds on. This was hooked up to a phone converter that definitely wasn't putting out adequate power.
IMG_2166.jpg
IMG_2167.jpg

I still need to figure out what wires these will tap into. They come with the wiring diagram for the factory lights, but since the colors on these aftermarket housings don't match up, I need to go off what pin it is on the connector. And if it wasn't 37 degrees outside and raining, I would pull my headlights out and take a look at the factory harness, but that't not happening today.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Here is the projector drivers wired up together. Kept the 9006 high beam connector on the housings and put a female end on the harness end. Then cut off the H7 (?) connector on the housing and used some weatherproof connectors I had laying around for the low beam side. Makes them removable if necessary. And I knew I wouldn't be able to get both drivers inside the housing, so I made them a little long so I can mount them behind the housing on the truck somewhere.
IMG_2170.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I was able to get a few more things done today. Got the LEDs installed and was able to get the two projector drivers wired together and ready for install as well.

The top and bottoms jb welded on.
View attachment 161385

View attachment 161386
View attachment 161389

The leds on. This was hooked up to a phone converter that definitely wasn't putting out adequate power.
View attachment 161387
View attachment 161388

I still need to figure out what wires these will tap into. They come with the wiring diagram for the factory lights, but since the colors on these aftermarket housings don't match up, I need to go off what pin it is on the connector. And if it wasn't 37 degrees outside and raining, I would pull my headlights out and take a look at the factory harness, but that't not happening today.

880b0e6bad42c7a4947ef409aa3b645c.jpg

Hopefully this will help you. Layout is same for both sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Received the clear corners today. Popped off the ambers on the housings and found out they are not the same as the OEM housings. The overall size and shape is the same but its the tabs that are different. Now it should be rather easy to make these work, just make a slot on the beauty plate, maybe trim the tab back a bit due to a support on the back side, but is it worth it? Whats yalls opinion on them? I'm thinking yes. I have nothing amber on my truck except the corners and it might clean things up a bit. To use or not to use, that is the question...?

IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2173.jpg
IMG_2175.jpg

Last edited: