Sport Quad (4) Projector Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like it. Definitely not your everyday retrofit.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Almost there...
0D97950B-5171-42C6-93DF-FB82A78D8409.jpeg

Just ordered some amber leds to put a few behind the clear corners and tie into the turn signal wires. Won’t see them until they’re turned on and should make the turns pop a little more for those cars running beside me.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
They look great!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I really want to see the light off these at night!
Same here. Output should be awesome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
What you charge to make a set like this?
$1 less than the Morimotos and I promise you'll get them before everybody else does hahahaha. Nah, not making any more of these. You would have to throw some big coin my way to make another set lol.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$1 less than the Morimotos and I promise you'll get them before everybody else does hahahaha. Nah, not making any more of these. You would have to throw some big coin my way to make another set lol.

Bitcoin you say

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I was able to get the extra leds for my turns welded in on the passenger side.

Testing
IMG_2206.jpg

Letting the JB Weld to set
IMG_2207.jpg

Final product. Might add one to the top but not sure if I will have room on the backside.
IMG_2208.jpg

I did have an issue with the projectors flashing when the engine was running. After some research on teh AlfaOBD thread (which I received yesterday), I diagnosed it as PWM. After seeing switching the computer to see HIDs, NOT Leds like you might think, the PWM is gone and they run smooth.

My only issue now is the white running lights are still flashing when hooked up to the truck. Work fine on the bench, but they have a inconsistent flash and the amber leds glow slightly when they are off. Contacted DiodeDynamics to see if they have encountered this before.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

Testing
View attachment 162313

View attachment 162314

Final product. Might add one to the top but not sure if I will have room on the backside.
View attachment 162315

I did have an issue with the projectors flashing when the engine was running. After some research on teh AlfaOBD thread (which I received yesterday), I diagnosed it as PWM. After seeing switching the computer to see HIDs, NOT Leds like you might think, the PWM is gone and they run smooth.

My only issue now is the white running lights are still flashing when hooked up to the truck. Work fine on the bench, but they have a inconsistent flash and the amber leds glow slightly when they are off. Contacted DiodeDynamics to see if they have encountered this before.

Make sure you have turn and parking lights set to led's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Testing
View attachment 162313

View attachment 162314

View attachment 162315

I had the same and used the diode dynamics canbus adapters. Problem is solved.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PG2VFHT/

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Make sure you have turn and parking lights set to led's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That’s just it, they are set to LED. Just for curiosity I switched the led park lights to “no” with the Alfa before I called it quits yesterday and will test it today to see if it changes anything. I know with the low beams, if it’s set to led it will still send the pwm, only set to HID will that go away.

I do have an extra set of PWM adaptors I could splice in before the diode boards to regulate the signal before it hits them, but hopefully won’t have to do that.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
A little update. I contacted Diode Dynamics and they were pretty much zero help. The truck seems to be sending out pulses to the led running and DRL lights (PWM..google it lol), which cannot be changed in AlfaOBD from what I gather. So my solution is to run each circuit (park lamps, DRL, and turn) off individual relays with the trigger wires coming from the original wires. I'm hoping the PWM won;t cause the relays to chatter, but if it doesn't, it should send a full 12v uninterrupted signal to the Diode module and let it work as it should. Just have to run an extra power wire from the battery to each headlight for the constant power, which is nothing big.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. But my issue is with the park lamps not the low beams. My low beams were flashing but I changed a setting with the AlfaOBD and solved that.

Oops - my bad! I missed that minor detail!

I didn't have any issues with my parking lamps; however, my truck is a '12; and I did the Diode Dynamics switchbacks as well.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Another update. Tried hooking up a 12v relay to power the park lamps and feed them straight from the battery and used the oem park wire as the trigger and all I got was a buzzing/chattering relay. This means the PWM is definitely there. Now I need to try to find a clean signal. Or maybe a way to prevent the relays from buzzing.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
FInally got these things figured out. So the Diode switchbacks have been giving me a fit and I have figured out whats going on. For some reason, the Diode module does not like the factory ground. After some playing around, I found that grounding BOTH the ground and fault sense wires from the Diode module straight to the battery makes everything function properly. Not sure why, but it works. Also changed around turn signal. The factory turn signal operated with the running lights, and by me adding the extra amber leds, made the turn brighter, but I didn't like the amber look with the white running lights. So I snipped the wires and hooked them to the turn signal wires.

How it was with the amber and white. Not cool.IMG_2215.jpg

Now with just the white running lights.
IMG_2216.jpg
And the turn signals.
IMG_2218.jpg

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a couple of beers to celebrate because that is a job well done.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk