The do's and dont's of upgrading projector headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have literally been through hell and back upgrading my headlights on my truck and I have finally found a happy medium.

1. DO NOT OPEN UP PROJECTOR LENSES TO MODIFY THEM

I started off purchasing a set of new oem black housing sport headlights and had them opened up and installed diode dynamics boards and HID headlights.

Unbeknownst to me at the time I did not know the overwhelming issues the stock projectors have with moisture and specifically for some strange reason I found that the blacked out sport and rebel headlights have even worse issues than the regular projectors.

I sent back my headlights 3 times to have them resealed and it did not work. The retrofitter was very helpful and told me he's never seen this before. I began researching and found out in fact that it was not his fault, but a design flaw in the lights. They were filling up with so much condensation fog they looked awful for days after it would rain. They became so bad I ended up just getting rid of them.

I noticed that my stock projectors (the regular chrome) also get condensation all the time resting at the bottom near the LED orange strip, but it only lasts for short spurts and doesn't overtake the entire lens.

If you have this issue with your projectors you can have them replaced by the dealer, but if you open them like I did you're out of luck.

2. IF YOURE GOING TO OPEN UP YOUR LIGHTS STICK WITH THE QUAD HALOGENS

I ended up purchasing Recon headlights which are specifically made only for our projector harness and setup. The Recons are actually created off of the shell of the quad lamp halogen headlights which have no issues with condensation.

I had them opened up, installed a halo and installed brighter boards for the led strips and upgraded the projectors to Morimotos.

After resealing them I've gone through the rain as well as car washes and have had ZERO condensation which is fantastic!

3. HID'S FOR FOG LIGHTS ARE A BAD IDEA

I originally had HIDs in my fog lights and they were so blinding and bright I was being flashed by most drivers on the road regardless of how low I pointed them.

The fog housing scatters the light so much that it will blind oncoming traffic. I ended up just leaving them off because they were so obnoxious.

I highly recommend using LEDs for the fog light housing.

I ended up using Morimoto 2 stroke LEDs. They look excellent and are very easy on the eyes as LEDs don't glare like an HID does. They certainly aren't as powerful but they get the job done and are a pleasure for others on the road.

4. LED'S FOR HEADLIGHTS ARE A BAD IDEA

I originally installed LED headlights on my Recons and the light output was a joke. The cutoff was a joke and driving with them at night was literally a hazard.

I highly recommend not using LEDs as the output of a halogen is better and the HID's are the best.

5. HID'S FOR HEADLIGHTS REIGN KING

I purchased Morimoto 55watt ballasts and 6500k bulbs. The difference is ridiculous. Excellent light output, excellent cutoff and you can see everything on the road.

A must have for people with projectors, really not other comparison.

IN CONCLUSION

Keep in mind that halogen projectors and HID projectors are NOT designed for light output of an LED. Please use the correct light source for your projectors or you will be a danger to other drivers or yourself.

I see too often people cramming HIDs in halogen based headlamps and it basically blinds everyone on the road. I have learned through all of this to do it right or you will waste your money like I did.

I am extremely happy with my final setup. I have custom Recon headlight with the proper HID projectors and have them wired as DRLs. It took me FOREVER and a lot of money to finally figure out how to have functional and great looking lights that separate me from everyone else.

I hope this is informative and helps anyone thinking about upgrading their headlights or fog lights and they don't hit the same road blocks I did. Below is a photo of my setup now, enjoy!

1a8276b9e39577173ab7ca172898725e.jpg5889e97f8e3bf33e5117917fd2782f2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
+1,000. I wasted money buying LED light bulbs and ended up with custom headlights from Retroshop. Perfectly happy now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So any good info on how to actually upgrade the projectors to HID?

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So any good info on how to actually upgrade the projectors to HID?

Very simple. Do not spend $150 on the mopar spec relay harness like I originally did, all you need to do is buy the diode dynamics anti flicker modules and they literally fix everything and cost $30 for the pair.

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Very simple. Do not spend $150 on the mopar spec relay harness like I originally did, all you need to do is buy the diode dynamics anti flicker modules and they literally fix everything and cost $30 for the pair.

If you're referring to upgrading the actual projectors I'd recommend using projectors that are designed for HIDs as the factory projectors are only
designed for Halogens.

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
+1,000. I wasted money buying LED light bulbs and ended up with custom headlights from Retroshop. Perfectly happy now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am shocked that people drive around with the LEDs as headlights, I did for literally one night and said hell no.

My only real issue is the cutoff sucks because even if your projectors are straight and level with the housing they are installed on the vehicle on a slight slant so they are never perfect.

HTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Edit,

Question, how is the projector that comes with the recon? Is it alone worth taking apart to swap out to the morimoto?

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Edit,

Question, how is the projector that comes with the recon? Is it alone worth taking apart to swap out to the morimoto?

It's not good. I mean it will do the job if you don't really care about great light output because it's a halogen projector, but I was opening mine anyways so it was worth upgrading.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have literally been through hell and back upgrading my headlights on my truck and I have finally found a happy medium.

1. DO NOT OPEN UP PROJECTOR LENSES TO MODIFY THEM

I started off purchasing a set of new oem black housing sport headlights and had them opened up and installed diode dynamics boards and HID headlights.

Unbeknownst to me at the time I did not know the overwhelming issues the stock projectors have with moisture and specifically for some strange reason I found that the blacked out sport and rebel headlights have even worse issues than the regular projectors.

I sent back my headlights 3 times to have them resealed and it did not work. The retrofitter was very helpful and told me he's never seen this before. I began researching and found out in fact that it was not his fault, but a design flaw in the lights. They were filling up with so much condensation fog they looked awful for days after it would rain. They became so bad I ended up just getting rid of them.

I noticed that my stock projectors (the regular chrome) also get condensation all the time resting at the bottom near the LED orange strip, but it only lasts for short spurts and doesn't overtake the entire lens.

If you have this issue with your projectors you can have them replaced by the dealer, but if you open them like I did you're out of luck.

2. IF YOURE GOING TO OPEN UP YOUR LIGHTS STICK WITH THE QUAD HALOGENS

I ended up purchasing Recon headlights which are specifically made only for our projector harness and setup. The Recons are actually created off of the shell of the quad lamp halogen headlights which have no issues with condensation.

I had them opened up, installed a halo and installed brighter boards for the led strips and upgraded the projectors to Morimotos.

After resealing them I've gone through the rain as well as car washes and have had ZERO condensation which is fantastic!

3. HID'S FOR FOG LIGHTS ARE A BAD IDEA

I originally had HIDs in my fog lights and they were so blinding and bright I was being flashed by most drivers on the road regardless of how low I pointed them.

The fog housing scatters the light so much that it will blind oncoming traffic. I ended up just leaving them off because they were so obnoxious.

I highly recommend using LEDs for the fog light housing.

I ended up using Morimoto 2 stroke LEDs. They look excellent and are very easy on the eyes as LEDs don't glare like an HID does. They certainly aren't as powerful but they get the job done and are a pleasure for others on the road.

4. LED'S FOR HEADLIGHTS ARE A BAD IDEA

I originally installed LED headlights on my Recons and the light output was a joke. The cutoff was a joke and driving with them at night was literally a hazard.

I highly recommend not using LEDs as the output of a halogen is better and the HID's are the best.

5. HID'S FOR HEADLIGHTS REIGN KING

I purchased Morimoto 55watt ballasts and 6500k bulbs. The difference is ridiculous. Excellent light output, excellent cutoff and you can see everything on the road.

A must have for people with projectors, really not other comparison.

IN CONCLUSION

Keep in mind that halogen projectors and HID projectors are NOT designed for light output of an LED. Please use the correct light source for your projectors or you will be a danger to other drivers or yourself.

I see too often people cramming HIDs in halogen based headlamps and it basically blinds everyone on the road. I have learned through all of this to do it right or you will waste your money like I did.

I am extremely happy with my final setup. I have custom Recon headlight with the proper HID projectors and have them wired as DRLs. It took me FOREVER and a lot of money to finally figure out how to have functional and great looking lights that separate me from everyone else.

I hope this is informative and helps anyone thinking about upgrading their headlights or fog lights and they don't hit the same road blocks I did. Below is a photo of my setup now, enjoy!

1a8276b9e39577173ab7ca172898725e.jpg5889e97f8e3bf33e5117917fd2782f2f.jpg

I always loved the look of those recon lights but never bought them due to 99.99% of aftermarket lights having ****** projectors, halos and leds.

So my question is, how were you able to mount the Morimoto projector inside, and how did you upgrade the led boards on the white strips? Im sure nobody sells new boards for those recons, so who was able to upgrade them?

If you don't want to post the retrofitters name or site publicly, please PM me. I'm very interested.

I'm currently building a set of TYC 13+ Projectors and I'm praying when I seal them up, I don't get ant moisture. I'm going to throw 3 or 4 silica gel packs inside each lense to hopefully help with moisture.

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I always loved the look of those recon lights but never bought them due to 99.99% of aftermarket lights having ****** projectors, halos and leds.

So my question is, how were you able to mount the Morimoto projector inside, and how did you upgrade the led boards on the white strips? Im sure nobody sells new boards for those recons, so who was able to upgrade them?

If you don't want to post the retrofitters name or site publicly, please PM me. I'm very interested.

I'm currently building a set of TYC 13+ Projectors and I'm praying when I seal them up, I don't get ant moisture. I'm going to throw 3 or 4 silica gel packs inside each lense to hopefully help with moisture.

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...

The Morimoto projector bolted right up to the pre existing projector with slight bracket modification.

The boards were upgraded to Fords Mustang boards to make the strips brighter. They required drivers.

The halos were added also which is why they are so bright.

I'll PM you the retrofitter

I added gel packs to mine and they did me no good. It's weird because I never noticed how many Rams have this issue until I looked into it. After it rains keep your eyes peeled for Rams with projectors and you will see SO MANY are fogged up. It's seriously just a design flaw. Some are luckier than others where they either barely fog up or don't at all.. others fog up so badly water droplets start running down the inside of the lenses.

The problems been so bad that FCA issued a TSB for it where if your headlights low beam heat gets rid of the condensation within 30 minutes they won't replace the headlights, but if it doesn't disappear they will. I read on another thread (can't remember which forum) where people have gotten 3 sets of new headlights replaced by the dealership and have still gotten fogged up lights and have thrown in the towel and just given up!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To an extent, the condensation in the oem projectors are "normal" per Chrysler. I think it's damn ridiculous. Anyway....see the pics below...That little pic is from the owner's manual.

Attachments

• Manual note about headlight fogging on page 722.JPG
    Manual note about headlight fogging on page 722.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 109
  • TSB for Headlight condensation pg1.jpg
    TSB for Headlight condensation pg1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 46
  • TSB for Headlight condensation pg2.JPG
    TSB for Headlight condensation pg2.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 45

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added gel packs to mine and they did me no good. It's weird because I never noticed how many Rams have this issue until I looked into it. After it rains keep your eyes peeled for Rams with projectors and you will see SO MANY are fogged up. It's seriously just a design flaw. Some are luckier than others where they either barely fog up or don't at all.. others fog up so badly water droplets start running down the inside of the lenses.

The problems been so bad that FCA issued a TSB for it where if your headlights low beam heat gets rid of the condensation within 30 minutes they won't replace the headlights, but if it doesn't disappear they will. I read on another thread (can't remember which forum) where people have gotten 3 sets of new headlights replaced by the dealership and have still gotten fogged up lights and have thrown in the towel and just given up!

My "fix" seems to work for most of the year. See my original thread from 2014 below...

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/condensation_oem_headlights_fixed-58901/

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
To an extent, the condensation in the oem projectors are "normal" per Chrysler. I think it's damn ridiculous. Anyway....see the pics below...That little pic is from the owner's manual.

I've seen that and think it's a huge cop out. I've owned 12 cars in my life and I've NEVER dealt with condensation like that except for my Ram.

The components inside the headlight should not be exposed to moisture every single time it rains or you wash your car. I don't care what their engineers say, my lights began getting permanent staining inside of the lights due to the amount of moisture they were exposed to. I tried resealing them 3 times, I adjusted the vents and I even went around with RTV silicone and closed every path for moisture to get in and I still was getting condensation.

After reading that exact memo I tried so hard to convince myself it's normal, but it got so bad I just had to get rid of the lights and try something else because it was not to my standards of normal.

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen that and think it's a huge cop out. I've owned 12 cars in my life and I've NEVER dealt with condensation like that except for my Ram.

The components inside the headlight should not be exposed to moisture every single time it rains or you wash your car. I don't care what their engineers say, my lights began getting permanent staining inside of the lights due to the amount of moisture they were exposed to. I tried resealing them 3 times, I adjusted the vents and I even went around with RTV silicone and closed every path for moisture to get in and I still was getting condensation.

After reading that exact memo I tried so hard to convince myself it's normal, but it got so bad I just had to get rid of the lights and try something else because it was not to my standards of normal.

You're preaching to the choir. The Ram's projectors are the only set that had condensation in them. I've had at least 4 car/trucks (excluding Rams) with projectors and zero issues. My wife has her 2nd Toyota Sienna with projectors and never had moisture/condensation inside them. My 2014 Ram Sport did it and my 2016 Rebel did it in the 1st week I had it. These Ram oem projectors are not a sealed unit by design and there is a BIG part of the problem.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried adjusting the vents so many times and it made no difference if they were pushed all the way in, in the middle or if they were as far out as possible. It drove me to the brink of insanity.

Yeah, adjusting the vents was just one of many things I tried to "fix" it. With my 2016 Rebel, i did everything at one time I talked about in my thread and I haven't had any condensation since. I "fixed" it back in December.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, adjusting the vents was just one of many things I tried to "fix" it. With my 2016 Rebel, i did everything at one time I talked about in my thread and I haven't had any condensation since. I "fixed" it back in December.
I'm praying the TYC replica projectors are better. I've read a few people now who have the TYC versions havnt had any issues.

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm praying the TYC replica projectors are better. I've read a few people now who have the TYC versions havnt had any issues.

I hope so man. It's crazy because I specifically purchased OEM projectors for the best quality and avoided the aftermarket remakes. Now in hindsight I should have purchased the damn aftermarket oem remakes!

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I hope so man. It's crazy because I specifically purchased OEM projectors for the best quality and avoided the aftermarket remakes. Now in hindsight I should have purchased the damn aftermarket oem remakes!

Yea I've also seen that Jeremy from Retroshop made a post and took 2 pictures. He installed an HID Kit in the oem projectors and the same kit in the TYC Projectors and the TYC was so much better.

The oem cutoff was blurry and you could barely see a cutoff line. With the TYC it was crisp, clean and clear cutoff.

Building my set of custom tyc projectors i learned that the TYCs are built COMPLETELY differrbt than the oem ones. The diode dynamics install video for the switchback led boards was done on oem projectors and shows they are held in with rivets. The TYCs were held in with nuts/bolts which was awesome because i didn't have to use bead wire or epoxy to mount the new switchback boards, I just put the bolts and nuts back in and was on tight as hell.

Also the DRL Lenses are mounted differently. I learned this the hard way when I ordered Smoked DRL Lenses for the 13+ Projectors and they didn't mount right to the TYCs. I had to break out my Dremel and cut up $130 smoked DRL Lenses but luckily I got them to work and you can't even tell I did anything to them, as I was very careful and did clean work with the dremel.

But yea, there are some major differences between the OEM Projectors build and the TYC Projectors build. Apparently the projector used is a **** ton better aswell.