The Pedal Commander review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
2. It maintains your last setting on engine off for the next restart.

Good news. I also saw PC says that when you enter cruise control, the PCM controls it completely independently from the electronic throttle control system (which makes sense) so the unit is deactivated and has no effects.

I have seen on the web a couple of people claim they had check engine lights or service throttle system messages. Anyone else have anything like this? Any idea what would cause it... seems strange.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've not had a single check engine light, any hesitation, nor doubts since install. I can not speak for those reviews that you saw on line, but I can attest to the fact that this this RULZS. :)

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen on the web a couple of people claim they had check engine lights or service throttle system messages. Anyone else have anything like this? Any idea what would cause it... seems strange.
Probably people who pulled the plug on the gas pedal before the electrical system has completely shut down. Will produce a code that way.

To install it, open the door and wait for the electrical system to completely shut down. Takes about 10 - 15 Minutes.
After that waiting time it's safe to unplug the gas pedal to install the PC.
People who have the keyless entry should keep the keyfob in a safe distance from the truck while installing.

All explained in the PC installation instructions btw. RTFM!

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
Good news. I also saw PC says that when you enter cruise control, the PCM controls it completely independently from the electronic throttle control system (which makes sense) so the unit is deactivated and has no effects.

The device basically replaces the pedal voltage signal with a new offset signal. Depending on how they are changing the voltage, it would be possible to set pedal coherence faults. Also, if your pedal adaptive isn't fully learned (like after a battery disconnect), and you had this device installed, you might get a pedal voltage when you aren't on pedal. That could put you in a stuck pedal reaction (P2299) when you apply the brake if the pedal voltage is high enough.

Murder_ram22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will this work if you already have a Diablo intune programmer install twitter the throttle booster all the way up

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The device basically replaces the pedal voltage signal with a new offset signal. Depending on how they are changing the voltage, it would be possible to set pedal coherence faults. Also, if your pedal adaptive isn't fully learned (like after a battery disconnect), and you had this device installed, you might get a pedal voltage when you aren't on pedal. That could put you in a stuck pedal reaction (P2299) when you apply the brake if the pedal voltage is high enough.

As per manufacturer they adjust Hz, not the voltage.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 243

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Could you just pull the negative on the battery to kill power so you dont have to deal with waiting for it to shut itself down? Not being a smart ass, really just curious lol. I thought on these trucks that the computer will only forget "learned" parameters if the battery is disconnected for over 30 mins or so.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
mine came a day early, I installed it and went for a quick trip...

started with sport mod +2, off idle it was very responsive, seems to hold the gears a little longer and downshift the gears a little slower when coasting to a stop, while accelerating from a cruise it seem to downshift quicker

this is just after my first drive, we'll see how it is after more seat time

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
As per manufacturer they adjust Hz, not the voltage.

Well, to put it simply, that's now how the pedal functions in our trucks. It's based on pedal voltage, period. They can't change the frequency, that's hard-coded in the PCM software.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, to put it simply, that's now how the pedal functions in our trucks. It's based on pedal voltage, period. They can't change the frequency, that's hard-coded in the PCM software.

I've been reading up on pedal position, throttle by wire, etc. I found a very informative thread on mustangevolution.

Pedal Commander Throttle Response Controller - Mustang Evolution

One of the members is a tuner, and he states the exact same thing as you. The Pedal Commander only increases the voltage. However, he posted a couple of graphs of a Mazda Speed 3. One thing I found interesting is that in the stock form, the pedal input is not a 1:1 ratio on how the ECU opens the throttle body. The white numbers are the pedal position, the green numbers are the throttle position. As you can see from the graph, when the pedal position is under 50%, the throttle position is significantly lacking. After the pedal is depressed more than 50%, the throttle position begins to catch up.

216498d1484615095-throttle-1.png

The next graph shows how the tuner basically replicated what the Pedal Commander does, in a way. He started the throttle position low, in relation to pedal position. After 15% pedal, it's almost a 1:1 ratio. Toward the end of the pedal depression, the throttle position actually surpasses the pedal.

216506d1484615095-throttle-2.png

My question, is why would the auto manufacturer neuter the car from the factory. IE, why don't they set the pedal and throttle position at a 1:1 ratio across the entire range. A mid 90's throttle by cable vehicle is a 1:1 ratio, right? Essentially the Pedal Commander or similar device is needed to get the 1:1 ratio back. Also, do you know what the ratio of our Rams are?

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am going to be ordering mine today off ebay for my 2016 ram 1500 5.7. On ebay it is listed for 06- and up. is this the one for my truck just want to be clear prior to ordering. thanks

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Now that part I can not answer, it's best to see what their return policy is just in case.832ec210dfc412abe63f704d936d4c0b.jpg

F.O.F

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my pedal commander came in today and I immediately went to install it... here's my take after a quick test on my trucks:
1. 2012 Laramie 4x4 crew cab- 5.7 corsa exhaust, vararam, moes 85mm tb, Diablo canned 93 0ctane tune with only throttle booster at 5%, 3.51 diff with the 6 speed auto.
This truck always felt sluggish, I was hoping that the PC would get it up to speed, it kinda did but not to the extent that folks made it out to be on the site, it would chirp the wheels in sport @ +4 but still didn't feel so much different and during driving you couldn't feel much of a difference.
Don't get me wrong, you can definitely feel that something is different just not so drastic.

2. 2015 SLT rwd reg cab - 5.7, magnaflow exhaust, vararam, 3.92 with the 8 speed auto.
After the slight disappointment with the Laramie I took off the PC and went to install it on my 15 SLT....
With this truck... WOW!!!!
You could literally feel the sensitivity change as you scroll through the settings, the truck is undriveable in sport+ the backend just loves to let go.
In sport @ +3 the truck feels great, in the SLT the PC really lives up to all the reviews. While driving I put back the setting to stock I quickly realised that I cannot go back to stock!

Back to the '12...
I'm planning to do some testing over the next few days, first I want to put back the stock throttle body and put back the throttle booster to 0. After that I will test the PC again.

Will keep you guys updated on that.

As far as my thoughts on the product goes, ignoring the '12 The PC is an awesome addition to the 15 and I'm gonna have a hard time taking it off of the truck. And if by some miracle after going to the stock tb the PC works o the 12... I'll be buying another one.

Last edited:

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
has anyone put this on a 2016 express 5.7 and if so any link on ebay. also has anyone had any problems with these or good right out of the box.

Last edited:

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick update...
Took the PC back to the 12 Laramie, but did the following.
1. Put back the throttle booster to 0%
2. Cleaned out the air filter
3. Cleaned out the throttle body.. it was filthy and gunked up, I have the catchcan so wasn't prepared for all the gunk!

On testing the truck again it was a huge improvement over yesterday, will test it out further but so far really pleased with the PC so much do that I've ordered another one for the '15.

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
has anyone put this on a 2016 express 5.7 and if so any link on ebay. also has anyone had any problems with these or good right out of the box.

If you want to order just do so from the site directly, you can pay by PayPal and add the discount code RAM10

As for your truck, I don't see why you should be any different from the rest.

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok just ordered from there site. with code 269.99 and 3-5 days should be here.thanks

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick update...
Took the PC back to the 12 Laramie, but did the following.
1. Put back the throttle booster to 0%
2. Cleaned out the air filter
3. Cleaned out the throttle body.. it was filthy and gunked up, I have the catchcan so wasn't prepared for all the gunk!

On testing the truck again it was a huge improvement over yesterday, will test it out further but so far really pleased with the PC so much do that I've ordered another one for the '15.

Glad to hear.

I was a little depressed for a moment lol

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I've posted in another thread but I'll add here too. Got mine installed yesterday and Sport 2 is perfect for me. It'll break loose from a stop and my tune wasn't doing that with the AT 2756520s (34.3") I'm running. The increased response is really nice, especially from dead stop, and compliments the other mods as well. I think my wife might be too scared to drive it now. lol

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
We just came back from New York with the Ram and let me just say this, thank you Pedal Commander. Those people are krazee, and you need a vehicle that can avoid that lol. This now does that in spades. :)