04 Ram 4.7 no Hemi... please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Jenigen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shes my beater but I still love her. I was far from an auto shop, threw the idler pulley. Had to run it hot, she shut down in the middle of traffic. Replaced Idler pulley on side of the highway she started up filled her with coolant. Then she wouldn't start. she will crank and crank but wont start unless I have my foot on the gas. As soon as i put er in drive she dies. Got it home and started replacing EVERYTHING. TPS, ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR, CRANKSHAFT SENSOR, IDLE AIR SENSOR, MAP SENSOR,FUEL PUMP. I am at a major lost. So then I decide maybe its the Egr.... cool I will try that only to find out my engine does not have one or does it. Finding mixed reviews. I dont trust the computer on my truck because its acting weird throwing all kinds of codes then it dont. Can anyone help? No coolant in oil, did not blow head gasket. I am at a lost. Its still throwing the TPS code and i Think a transmission code.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Write down the codes you get and post them up here. We can help diagnose the issue(s) with that info.

OP
OP
Mark Jenigen

Mark Jenigen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Code P0122
P0700. I am wondering if it through it into Limp mode when it overheated... but it should still start

OP
OP
Mark Jenigen

Mark Jenigen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also this TPS had been changed 3 times over the last 4 years.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Shes my beater but I still love her. I was far from an auto shop, threw the idler pulley. Had to run it hot, she shut down in the middle of traffic. Replaced Idler pulley on side of the highway she started up filled her with coolant. Then she wouldn't start. she will crank and crank but wont start unless I have my foot on the gas. As soon as i put er in drive she dies. Got it home and started replacing EVERYTHING. TPS, ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR, CRANKSHAFT SENSOR, IDLE AIR SENSOR, MAP SENSOR,FUEL PUMP. I am at a major lost. So then I decide maybe its the Egr.... cool I will try that only to find out my engine does not have one or does it. Finding mixed reviews. I dont trust the computer on my truck because its acting weird throwing all kinds of codes then it dont. Can anyone help? No coolant in oil, did not blow head gasket. I am at a lost. Its still throwing the TPS code and i Think a transmission code.

How hot did it run exactly? To what notch on the gauge cluster readout? I suggest you do a compression check and change the oil, just to make sure that it’s within spec.

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

OP
OP
Mark Jenigen

Mark Jenigen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It ran hot but for a short time maybe 10-15 min and I got fluid in er. Here is the weird part once it sits it will start right up and run for about 3-5 mins then it starts acting goofy. No blue or white smoke.

OP
OP
Mark Jenigen

Mark Jenigen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cam sensor replaced... same issued. Starting to thinking its the pcm

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It ran hot but for a short time maybe 10-15 min and I got fluid in er. Here is the weird part once it sits it will start right up and run for about 3-5 mins then it starts acting goofy. No blue or white smoke.
10-15 min running hot is not a short time.
If you ran it hot till it died it sounds like your engine is toast.
Check compression before you throw any more parts at it.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Any updates?

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

OP
OP
Mark Jenigen

Mark Jenigen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced all sensors, pulled the plugs they are good. Now the computer is throwing a p0340 code (camshaft) and a p0335 code (crankshaft). Is it possible I did not put them in right? I did replace both of them. I am still at a loss. Also if I use a computer to read the codes it will throw a p700 transmissions control module code... sometimes... but if i turn the key three times, those two codes above are the only ones that are there. I am still at a loss. Geting very frustrating

OP
OP
Mark Jenigen

Mark Jenigen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I fried the engine wouldn't i have blown the head gaskets or cracked the block?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not necessarily, i have had engines get hot, rings lose tension, loss of compression

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you did some internal damage to that engine when you overheated it, did It spew all the coolant out, then you refilled it, 10-15 min is a lifetime without coolant and you weren't turning the water pump, I would look for a used engine at a pick and pull.

MSmitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ran a search, found this thread to be very similar to what im dealing with right now in my '04 1500 4.7 quad 4x4. what ultimately did u find to be the culprit that caused it all?

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I definitely agree that 10 - 15 minutes without coolant going through the engine is a long time and you most likely have internal engine damage. MSmitty, if you did the same thing, the first thing you should is a compression test. If you don't have a gauge to do that, go to your local auto parts store that rents tools and rent one. Check the compression on each cylinder to see where they are reading and post your results.

Mark, my neighbor had a Ram with the 4.7 and ran his hot. He never lost coolant after running it like that but ended up warping the heads. Before putting any more parts into it, do a compression test and maybe even scope the cylinders when the plugs are out to see if you can see any visible damage.