06 2500 cummins What to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SxvxgeSerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’m about to check out a 2006 2500 with a Cummins and 160k miles 6speed I keeping reading good stuff about the 5.9cummins

I’m going to have no prior history of the truck other than it runs and drives
Trying to figure out on What should I look at! As I’m going to check it out tomorrow,
And if I get it what do I need to do to maintain it/first things to do other than oil change?
thanks!

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll let a HD expert chime in but I'd check all the electrical and look for any signs of anything odd, definitely the front end and feel for the dodge death wobble, if it has it and its not taken care of it can do catastrophic damage, I've seen it look like a helicopter blade was spinning into the front end (badically what can happen) lol of course that was after the owner neglected the symptoms.
But yes you heard correctly the 5.9 C is extremely solid and 160k is nothing as far as miles on that motor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fairly common to need to replace injectors around 200k give or take which is not very cheap but also not a huge deal

OP
OP
S

SxvxgeSerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll let a HD expert chime in but I'd check all the electrical and look for any signs of anything odd, definitely the front end and feel for the dodge death wobble, if it has it and its not taken care of it can do catastrophic damage, I've seen it look like a helicopter blade was spinning into the front end (badically what can happen) lol of course that was after the owner neglected the symptoms.
But yes you heard correctly the 5.9 C is extremely solid and 160k is nothing as far as miles on that motor

thanks for the input its a laramie off road package you know by any chance what is included in that package?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
thanks for the input its a laramie off road package you know by any chance what is included in that package?
You can put your vin number in on Chrysler website to get a build sheet of that vehicle and it will show what was factory installed on it.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like SYKRAMMAN said if you enter in the vin you can get the actual build sheet and know exactly what that specific truck came with along with any add ons and where it was built. I've never heard of a off road package for these so idk what that is, but the Laramie comes with "wood grain" trims in the interior along with leather or vinyl (not sure which) seats and a few other interior things

OP
OP
S

SxvxgeSerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here some pictures looks quite rusty has had a fifth wheel attachments in the bed

3A0F85FF-AFAA-4C65-8018-90A528FC0482.jpeg

E67C71C5-46B9-4969-AF79-3E19DCCACDFF.jpeg

EFD813CF-A049-4E55-AF03-9D6451352A40.jpeg

5B29C04E-8BE4-4477-B483-2FD3AE56A888.jpeg

62E54520-2A3C-4598-B33C-E242EC6795A8.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SxvxgeSerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The auction goes up tomorrow what are your opinions on the condition?

26A87DFF-D4FC-40A2-9AEA-36ED0385EECD.jpeg

B85AAFC0-A0BF-495D-A109-C7DBF7B913BE.jpeg

BC85EFCF-2189-4153-B441-97769A39C3DC.jpeg

0B76792F-CFA4-4614-897F-10D50A4D0374.jpeg

050BCBE3-9AD9-45DC-A125-05E5B72B0083.jpeg

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Should have two batteries. I'm from Minnesota the body should be worse than it is, so most probably been repaired. MN uses tons of salt in the winter totally state wide. Go by the engine bay and undercarriage to determine condition of the body. If body repairs are low quality expect to be getting body work done soon. Where is the auction? If not in MN then it was bought at a used vehicle auction for cheap and now it's set up to be a profit maker at the re-auction. Dealers do this all the time.

If you do decide to get it, change all fluids, at 200K fuel filter should have been changed at about 150k, I'd change it. Have the wheel hubs checked for movement, check water pump for leaks.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SxvxgeSerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should have two batteries. I'm from Minnesota the body should be worse than it is, so most probably been repaired. MN uses tons of salt in the winter totally state wide. Go by the engine bay and undercarriage to determine condition of the body. If body repairs are low quality expect to be getting body work done soon. Where is the auction? If not in MN then it was bought at a used vehicle auction for cheap and now it's set up to be a profit maker at the re-auction. Dealers do this all the time.

If you do decide to get it, change all fluids, at 200K fuel filter should have been changed at about 150k, I'd change it. Have the wheel hubs checked for movement, check water pump for leaks.

Mike
whoops i meant montana so thats probably even a worse location its in washington right now its a theft recovery issuance auction gonna go at around 7/8 grand for it with a buy now at 13k

it did have 2 batteries, engine bay looked fairly healthy
ill watch the auction live if i can get it for cheaper than that ill most likely get it

Last edited:

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the 3rd gen - and since it's leveled with a spacer.. you'll want to pay attention to the ball joints and the steering components. If those are worn as well as tires, you could have a good chance of getting 'death wobble' -

Easy to fix, but keep in mind you'll want to upgrade from the T style steering to the Y style, which is 08+ and newer.. and then maybe replace the trackbar (adjustable one since it's leveled) and steering stabilizer.

Other than that.. bullet proof.

OP
OP
S

SxvxgeSerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the 3rd gen - and since it's leveled with a spacer.. you'll want to pay attention to the ball joints and the steering components. If those are worn as well as tires, you could have a good chance of getting 'death wobble' -

Easy to fix, but keep in mind you'll want to upgrade from the T style steering to the Y style, which is 08+ and newer.. and then maybe replace the trackbar (adjustable one since it's leveled) and steering stabilizer.

well thats what i keep hearing about them haha yah the body undercarriage seen better days it'll be all if the price is right when its time it should be live here in like 3 hours or so

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
As a By The Way, Montana is no where near as bad as Minnesota for salt use on roads. So that's a plus for the truck body. You might expect to have to do some body work on it but not as bad as I would expect from a MN truck.

Mike