1 quart down after 3k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What's up guys. Just changed my oil. Roughly 3400 miles. I was down almost a quart. Is this a concern, or normal cause of break in? The oil looked good ( Brown just like the new stuff). I have never used synthetic before. The Pennzoil is pretty darkish Brown to me straight outta the bottle. Didn't see any bad stuff ( particles, metal, etc) . Replaced with Pennzoil 0w 40 and a purolator synthetic filter :) it took a full 7 quarts and it's back at mark that it should be at. I have been doing some heavy pulling ( pun intended) with my toy hauler since about 1000 miles. Probably took about 6 trips or 7 so far. I'm assuming it's normal. I just checked a couple weeks ago and the level looked ok though.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pretty normal during break in, especially if towing hard. Keep an eye on it for the next several thousand. My money says consumption will slow.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, check it again prior to the next change.

I know what MOPAR says but there's no way in heck I am gonna wait that long for an oil change, synthetic or not.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agreed. 5k from now on here. Idk though, they are saying what 8k?, hmmm......

Yeah, check it again prior to the next change.

I know what MOPAR says but there's no way in heck I am gonna wait that long for an oil change, synthetic or not.

spiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I was on the Ram owners connect website earlier and it said next service in 10k miles. Now I put around 5k a year on my truck so if thats the case it'll be 2 years before my first service, no thanks! I change mine every 6 months and will change it at 1500 miles for the first service.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I actually know people that go by those "synthetic" schedules. I just can't see going that long. I don't know anyone that's had a vehicle long enough for it to matter. But, I don'tmind spending a few extra hundred or even a thousand over the life of the vehicle for piece of mind. I put amsoil in my Honda cbr sportbike one year and probably put 3k max on it....couldn't do it. Have to change it every year at least

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I probably throw away more money than I need to, but I'm full synthetic and change every 5k miles. I'm sure I've spent more money on stupider things...

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Well I must be wasting my money (kidding). I changed out my break-in oil at 5000km (3000mi) and plan on doing it every 5000km. Simple peace of mind for such a huge investment.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fleet vehicles where I work the gas motors get an oil change every 7500, diesels at 10k. The cummins is at 240,000. My old 2007 5.4l is just under 200,000. I was responsible for 70k on that. Not one issue motor wise other than she'd sip a quart every 5k... ford modular motor.

These new motors have such tighter specs and run optimally. On top of advances in oil and filtration tech. There is just less contaminates getting in combined with oil that traps them and filters that remove nearly all and last longer to boot.

Every 3k and you are throwing away money unless working the vehicle very hard or in extreme conditions. For most of us the specified interval is fine.

Last edited: