114000 miles 2018 6 cyl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
556 SERVICING AND MAINTENANCE

Fluid And Filter Changes — Eight-Speed Transmission
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at
the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life
of the vehicle.
Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However,
change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated
(with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled.

But then there's a youtube video collection too.

This poster speculates that lifetime means till the end of the extended warranty.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

of the vehicle.

This poster speculates that lifetime means till the end of the extended warranty.

So how do you determine if it's contaminated since there is no dipstick or easy way to check it???
And to boot, it's not a fully synthetic fluid so I would think that adds to our concern.....

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think I'm gonna go with the lifetime a little longer. My driving is about 90% highway. I will check with my dealer maint. Recommend change if any. 150000 miles turned yesterday. Thanks for all of your replys
Geezus, how is that possible? You said 114,000 on 8/19, and now are saying 150,000 on 8/22? That’s 36,000 miles in 3 or 4 days. Unless you’re in a Stealth Bomber making circles around the world, there’s not enough hours to accumulate that much mileage in 72 hours.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
So how do you determine if it's contaminated since there is no dipstick or easy way to check it???
And to boot, it's not a fully synthetic fluid so I would think that adds to our concern.....

From what I understand there is no way for it to be contaminated unless you open up the fill plug or drain plug, or it's flooded (under water up to the hood) and water gets into the vent, which is somewhere inside the engine compartment.

DirtyWipers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just turned 114000 miles on my 18 ram no problems. Just maintance. Replaced tires and brakes at 60000. No maintance done on trans. Replaced brake fluid. Mostly highway miles.

114000 on an 18! That is some time behind the wheel!

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Lol u guys cray, atf is primarily detergent to clean, it's not like motor oil getting soot buildup

I was a previous Mercedes tech, and I wouldn't swap the tranny fluid until 150k prolly, y'all just throwing $$$ away imo

OP
OP
P

papanogo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl. gas
SORRY I meant 115000 had over 114000 when I posted 114000. Would really like to know what to do about the trans. Change it or run it. Just installed led taillights. Like them better than Orem. Had incandescent before. Really appreciate the feedback

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 17 same combo, just hit 48k miles. I thought I drove a lot. Mine is mostly highway also. When did you change the differential fluid? I don't see it in my manual for the service mileage

OP
OP
P

papanogo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl. gas
Only had brake fluid flushed so far besides the reg. Maint. 2wheel drive. Yeah man I put ALOT of milage on this wagon. Hope it keeps up the good work

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a 17 same combo, just hit 48k miles. I thought I drove a lot. Mine is mostly highway also. When did you change the differential fluid? I don't see it in my manual for the service mileage

I don't see any interval either. Just says check it. Maybe it's lifetime too? :cool:

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
If ya change it just do filter which I think in 8spd is part of pan. Don’t do the power flush or whatever they call it. Just replace the fluid that is removed. Dealer if it was mine. I had them do my 6spd and the 8spd seems more complicated. Or. Just run it till she dies then we will all know how reliable it really is lol.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Verndiesel has over 500k on his ecodiesel/8speed and I'm sure he's serviced the trans to get that kind of life out of it. If I had one I'd be servicing it every 30k regardless but that is just me.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Verndiesel has over 500k on his ecodiesel/8speed and I'm sure he's serviced the trans to get that kind of life out of it. If I had one I'd be servicing it every 30k regardless but that is just me.
I just read an updated mileage, it's 590K miles. He changes the transmission fluid every 100K with Valvoline Maxlife. Considering he has had trailer in tow most of those miles, his service interval and choice of fluid should be good for most.

jbowen52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have the 2014 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 now with 46K miles and no issues with the Pentastar V6 or 8 speed trans. I love this truck. 24MPG on the highway around 20MPG around local country driving. Amazing for a full size truck.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

of the vehicle.

If the manual says "life time of the vehicle", that's pretty straight forward and clear. I don't know why someone would twist that into "till the end of the extended warranty".

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol u guys cray, atf is primarily detergent to clean, it's not like motor oil getting soot buildup

I was a previous Mercedes tech, and I wouldn't swap the tranny fluid until 150k prolly, y'all just throwing $$$ away imo

You may have a point. I'm not proud of this, but I have a dodge dakota. 210000 miles so far, never changed anything on the trans ever. Operates and shifts like it did when it was new. Makes me wonder how critical it really is on a trans.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
You may have a point. I'm not proud of this, but I have a dodge dakota. 210000 miles so far, never changed anything on the trans ever. Operates and shifts like it did when it was new. Makes me wonder how critical it really is on a trans.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" may be the way to go with the 8 speed. I kinda cringe seeing the videos of guys changing the pan and fluid in their garage, wondering how much dust, grit, and other crap gets inside in the process. The fluid is so thin to begin with, maybe the fact that it changes color a bit isn't a big deal?

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '18 Sport, bought new Apr/18 just went over 1100 miles. For me to rack up those miles, Id have to block up the rear wheels and put a brick on go pedal for a few weeks.

Russ