'12 Express (RCSB) - McGaughy's 2/4 Deluxe Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awwdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Express (RCSB)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my McGaughy's 2/4 Deluxe kit installed over the weekend!

BEFORE:
picture.php

AFTER:
picture.php

DETAILS:
Took approx. 6 hours from start to finish; getting tools ready, truck on jacks, quick spin with just front installed, rear install, and then clean up.

This install is fairly straight forward if you've done this type of stuff before. The instructions are pretty much worthless, but have some specs for where rear hardware needs to go. I was going to do a write up, but found someone else already had a nice one in the DIY section. So I'll just provide my experience and pics! I didn't get before and after measurements because my parents driveway is sloped and our street is crowned for water runoff. I was more concerned with getting it done before running out of day light.

Front took a majority of the install time. Had some trouble getting the stock spindles off the lower ball joints, so ended up removing the coil and shock so I could hammer on the lower ball joint stems. Be advised, the ball joint stems/threads are kind of soft and I flared the end of one, even with the factory nut threaded out for a striking base. I would recommend a piece of wood or similar to absorb the impact. Other than that, air wrenches are your friend!! The spindles did cause the front wheels to stick out a tiny bit on the tops of the tires, but it appears mostly from too much camber. After alignment, they should tuck back in nicely. The Driver-side did need some grinding on the inside of the spindle because the ball joint bracket on the lower control arm barely scraped the inside of the spindle. It rubbed ever so slightly when the wheels were straight, but cleared with wheels turned. Other than that, spindles are heavier than sh*t compared to stock ones!

The rear took just over an hour because my kit was missing some hardware. I ended up using one of the 3/8" bolts from the new bump stops for the track bar relocator bracket. I trimmed the stock rear bump stops in half instead of using the supplied ones.

TEST DRIVE AND 20 MILES COMMUTE:
Overall, I really dig the new look. Most can tell it's lowered a little, but looks a lot sportier. The rear can be felt more over bumpy sections of road, but not bad at all, even with factory rear shocks. I will be getting some aftermarket ones in the future. My Express doesn't have a rear swaybar, but the rear springs really help keep it level through corners now. Perhaps when they settle-in, a rear sway bar may be added.

Still wish it was lower though... =T Considering the truck only has 600 miles and now, new rear coils, it should settle down over the next few weeks. Then reassess my options. :naughty:

I also painted in the good year logos on the factory tires, golden yellow, for the "race look" I'm after. A bit time consuming, but really happy with the results. Used Dupli-Color HT300 "Dupli-Color Hot Tires Tire Paint Pen" from Summit. One pen did most of the 4 tires, but used a little of a second pen to finish the 2nd coat on the last tire. These pens are garbage! After one week the the yellow almost completely faded out. 2.5 months later, the color is completely gone. Huge waste of an afternoon.

FUTURE PLANS:
tint windows; Done
plasti-dip badges; Done
possibly lowering closer to 4/6 drop; still HIGHLY considering this option or going Ride Tech
22's

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Looks great!

shostopper17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
looks great man cant wait to do mine asap

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great! I agree, that's how the 2wd's should come from the factory. And the 4wd's should come leveled.:shooter:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
nice work

OP
OP
awwdude

awwdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone!!

Trucks at the shop getting aligned right now. I'm hoping the drop settles in soon because I'm getting anxious to get lower already. =P I have a feeling I will eventually be taking baby steps to baggin it.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks everyone!!

Trucks at the shop getting aligned right now. I'm hoping the drop settles in soon because I'm getting anxious to get lower already. =P I have a feeling I will eventually be taking baby steps to baggin it.

After owning multiple lowered vehicles. I've never been happy with how low I've been able to go static.

I'm just saving my money till I have a new DD and I lay this puppy out.

OP
OP
awwdude

awwdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After owning multiple lowered vehicles. I've never been happy with how low I've been able to go static.

I'm just saving my money till I have a new DD and I lay this puppy out.

I haven't owned many, but I would completely agree.

Mine's a DD too, so trying to get low as possible while static, but still carry dirt bikes and descent ride quality. Bags seem the best of both worlds, just pricey, especially for having never ridden in a bagged truck. :slap:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only bagged trucks I've ridden in where fully laid out.
And they all rode like an caddy. Almost too smooth.

I would really like to replace the rear coils all together and just have air in the rear.
I think the issue would be finding a bag with that much flex. That or run limiting straps so I don't stress the bags. I don't really care for that idea.

ultimately, I'd like a triangulated 4 link, with the bags mounted on the lower arms, cantilevered, so I would have about 18-20" of travel.

OP
OP
awwdude

awwdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sounds pretty awesome! From what I've gathered, bags ride incredible well at ride height. Ride/Handling problems occur when people want to roll deep, bags collapsed, and zero travel.

One of my concerns being fully bagged is towing. I have zero idea how bags alone would handle towing 5000+lbs (lifted grand cherokee and trailer). Having coils with helper bags seems a better safety precaution in that sense.

Truck is only 2 weeks old, I need to slow down and plan things out or... :Grenade:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds pretty awesome! From what I've gathered, bags ride incredible well at ride height. Ride/Handling problems occur when people want to roll deep, bags collapsed, and zero travel.

One of my concerns being fully bagged is towing. I have zero idea how bags alone would handle towing 5000+lbs (lifted grand cherokee and trailer). Having coils with helper bags seems a better safety precaution in that sense.

Truck is only 2 weeks old, I need to slow down and plan things out or... :Grenade:

Towing when fully bagged is just fine. I'd argue that most show trucks (and those car things) get towed to shows with fully bagged crew cab trucks!

Firehawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 RCSB Express
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
Looks like the before/after pictures are no longer loading, does anyone have the links?

OP
OP
awwdude

awwdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like the before/after pictures are no longer loading, does anyone have the links?

Hi Firehawk. Got my images loaded back up and linked. Along with some others of the progress to it's current state.

I looked into wheels and lowering more with Bell Tech springs/cut rears, but other things came up. I'd still like to get a nice set of 22's, but couldn't justify the cost for the wheels I wanted... then spent the equivalent (maybe more) on building a new mtn bike. :banghead:

Last edited:
OP
OP
awwdude

awwdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last week, I parked next to Dark Gray RCSB Express (stock height, blacked out badges and windows) and it was really nice to compare the height difference side by side. 100% Satisfied I dropped mine and made me want to go even lower! Looks so much better IMO. I should have taken a picture, oh well.

Firehawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 RCSB Express
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
Truck looks great OP, how does your truck feel around the corners and are you still encountering any rubbing/clearance issues with your stock wheels/tires?

Last edited: