1234xy to 134a conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Through a series of unfortunate events, I toasted my compressor...

What is described below is purely a theoretical discussion. I wouldn't dare violate federal mandates against changing AC system components and hurting the environment. It's a story I made up...

I've had my AC system apart three times. It's a 2018 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi RCSB.

The first two times were due to major work, lifters/cam the first time and then the second when the motor was pulled and I stroked it. First time the system vented on accident when an impact gun spun a nut too fast and whacked an AC line, second time I recovered/reloaded when done. On a trip a few weeks ago down to Southern Missouri, my supercharger (torqstorm centrifugal) started making all sorts of noise. Pulled over and noticed the pulley had basically just about come off, and in the process of thrashing around ended up just barely clipping my AC line, vending it all over the place. Took it to the local Dobbs, about the only store that had 1234xy machines which are hard to come by, and they said the compressor was toast, and it did smoke a bit but was hoping it was just the clutch. Declined the repair and took it home.

After reading multiple stories about people retrofitting their systems I figured what the heck. I have gauges and a vacuum pump. Bought 1234xy connectors off Amazon, and bought a new compressor on there as well with oil pre-loaded, I think it was PAG 46 which is compatible with both refrigerants.

From what information I could find, it looks like our trucks take 28oz of 1234xy. The equivalent year 2500 Ram which still uses 134a takes 25.6 ish oz. To play it safe, I bought two cans, 12oz each of 134a.

I pumped down the system to below 20 psi vacuum, let it sit and de-moisturize to make sure there were no leaks, and added the 134a. I know there are other components on this system meant to work with 1234, but hoped the orafice/expansion valve etc would work ok.

Results are a cooler AC than original, even though it's probably a bit undercharged (better than overcharged!). Low side is sitting around 50, high side fluctuated between 205-210, which was lower than spec for a 95 degree day, but seemed to work. I read somewhere that Chrysler AC systems run a bit lower on the high side?

Anyway, at optimal conditions my vents are blowing 46 degree temp air, so I'm satisfied.

Hope the repair lasts! Will let folks know if it blows up.