1500 brake issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greenflorida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure
Hello all. Need some help. My wife’s left front locked up yesterday and nearly caught fire. A local shop replaced the caliper and pads and got her on the road again. An hour or so latet, the right front stared to lock up. She stopped and we had her towed the remainder of the way. Any ideas of what the problem is? Both sides failing at about the same time on a newish vehicle doesn’t seem right. In all my years of driving i’ve never had this happen even once and now this?!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What year? Climate?

I know with my 2017 and 2019, Ram 1500s, there was very little grease on the caliper pins and nothing on the metal/metal contact points. For me with rustbelt use, If you don't address this within the vehicle's first year or two, the pads lock in place and put a lot more pressure on the calipers.

Rears are worse in the rust belt. Especially with the parking brake mechanisms.

I've replaced the front pads/rotors already on my 2019. I did it at about 38K miles. The rears I've disassembled, cleaned and re-lubed.

All 4 corners were shot on my 2017 around that time too. I think had I not swapped pads and rotors on both trucks, I would have smoked calipers shortly thereafter.

OP
OP
G

Greenflorida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure
Wow, i do feel spoiled. Been in central Florida all my life, so no roadsalt or even sea spray to worry about. I will check and lube the points you mentioned, but since both sides crapped out dang near the same time, im concerned that there is a deeper underlying issue. Any suggestions on how to diagnose the components myself and or safely get this to a repair shop if necessary without the cost of a tow?

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
Power steering fluid in the brake fluid reservoir? I had a similar issue with an old Toyota Carrola, where as it was driven the fluid would heat up and cause the brakes to apply. Had to replace the master cylinder, and flush all the brake lines out.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Possibly your master cylinder isn't unloading the pressure off after using the brakes. Proportional valve (do they still have them?). Being both fronts and happening roughly at the same time, that's what it sounds like to me. A failure to release the brake pressure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn