1500 Eats Tires!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMahon0521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
I have a 2015 Ram 1500. I have 155,460 miles on it. Love it but today my husband had the 7th set of tires put on it!!! No one can tell us why it runs thru tires so quickly. I don't hot rod it because I baby my truck. Don't get me wrong it is still a farm truck as in pulling a gooseneck with cattle or horses. But I also drive it to work every day which is 50 miles one way. Every place we take it says alignment is great and all the tires are wearing out evenly. Tires are rotated every 3500 - 4000 miles. Last set of tires were Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus P265/70R17. They only got about 17,000 miles on them before they were wore excessively. They prorated and replaced all 4. But we have run several brands and have the same results. Went to the dealership and they checked it out and said they didn't see anything wrong with the truck. "Maybe just time to cut your losses and trade it in"! Really?!?! With that attitude it won't be a Ram from you!
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford a set of tires every time I turn around!

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2012 and I got 55k from my Silent Armours, and 50k from my Toyo ATII’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like you have done what you can to eliminate vehicle factors, and also appears that you have tried different tires. The only other variable I can see is the road (s) you drive on. Surfaces can be hellish, my cousin couldn't keep tires on his Jeep because they used shells in the mix near his house. The combination of your truck's weight and set up, tire compound, and driving characteristics all play a part. So maybe the hardest tire compound might get you more miles but you could be trading a nice ride for a louder, more harsh one. Just a thought before you spend money on tires again. Good luck.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It'll help to see pics with the last tire set? what psi do you run? What have more wear before the tires get rotated the front ones or back? What portion of the tires are wearing faster, inner, outer, both edges, center only ? With 155k miles when was the last time shocks got replaced? , how about ucas and lcas? Tie rods?
Maybe some things in your suspension need a little overhaul.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That is interesting. I've got ~25K miles on the factory goodyear wrangler SRA 265/70/17's on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic and there's plenty of life left in them. I keep them aired up to ~40-42psig.

My 2017 Ram 1500 had the 17's as well and they lasted 35K miles or so.

I don't tow though and neither have really been off pavement.

Last edited:

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I ran 10 ply E rated tires on all my previous half ton trucks for the last 20 years. Ran lower pressures than on my 2500. less flats, 40-50K,miles Cooper Hankook BigO Michelin.
Towing heavy has much to do with your issue also, IMO.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
That is interesting. I've got ~25K miles on the factory goodyear wrangler SRA 265/70/17's on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic and there's plenty of life left in them. I keep them aired up to ~40-42psig.

My 2017 Ram 1500 had the 17's as well and they lasted 35K miles or so.

I don't tow though and neither have really been off pavement.

Have 30,000 miles on my stock Wranglers, and they've still got a ways to go. All on pavement, but often carrying a load. I haven't rotated them in a while, but they're wearing very evenly. I keep 40 psi in them.

SND2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Brigestones you mention do have a UTQG rating of 800 which is good, but as others have said, they are
passenger car/crossover/light duty SUV tires, not truck tires. I think that next time you purchase tires, you should get a set of light truck tires such as: Continental TERRAINCONTACT A/T or other light truck tires. They will cost more but it may be less expensive overall than buying less expensive tires more frequently.

pmorita

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram 1500
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Can I jump in with the obvious. Tire pressure has more to do with it than anything for me. I used to run mine at 42 to try and save gas but tires lasted 40K miles. I run them lower now and get an extra 10-20K and a softer ride.

Mike Garvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to be an ass but why are you putting car tires on a truck? Lt tires are better but not by much. If you're towing that types of trailers get an D or E rated tire. I put 55k on a set of MasterCraft Mxt tires and other than rotate them they were quiet and great handling. Just put Cxt's on and they have E rating and 50k warranty

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on my third 1500. Had 06', 11' and 18". All with 20" Goodyears. I don't tow or haul and i easily get 45k a set of tires. Never less. And when i change them out they are never worn to the point of being done. I could probably get 50k out of a set. I always stick with the stock Goodyears. I run TP at 39 on all of them. Not sure why a 17" tire would be worse.

Cwar1972

Reaction score
Originally from Wisconsin, currently in Washington
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had similar issues with my 14 1500. I ditched the stock SRA’s because they were horrible in Wisconsin winters. Went with a set of Destination A/T, got 35,000 miles out of them. They warrantied those out for a set of Dueler A/T which I got 36,000 out of. Warranted those out since both sets were supposed to be 60,000 mile tires. Now I’m running the Falken Wildpeak A/T and they have about 15,000 miles and are still at about 60% tread. Very easy on the go pedal, my 3.92 gearing eats the gas enough the way it is! No heavy hauling, minimal off road. The Duelers and Falkens were since we moved to Washington state. I went with the P Metrics because I didn’t need the LT rated, and for fuel and equipment savings. Going from a 43lb Pmetric to a 65lb LT wasn’t warranted with my use.

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you are on the farm, and towing goosenecks, let me piggy-back what others have said. If you don't have LT tires, as in, load range "E", you are going to keep replacing tires on that truck. A few others have mentioned Michellins. They are very good tires, but they are also expensive. Not to say you should cheap-out on tires, but you can find something at least as good, if not better (IMO) in Cooper Discoverer. For less $$. When I was looking to replace the OEM tires, I was leaning toward Michelins but my brother told me to look at Cooper.

I have the ATPs on my 2015 1500. Got rid of the crummy "Bad"Year SRAs at about 17k. HATED them. White-knuckle driving in snow thru CO and UT on a trip. Yikes! And they are basically a car tire. I put ATP's on, and they are still on there. Truck now has over 90k on the clock. And the tires still have at least another 10k before I will start thinking about new tires. You can get Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT tires just about anywhere. I have them on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. OK so far. But the ATPs are a Discount Tire exclusive.