1500/V6 impressions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I've been shopping late model used Ram 1500s for a family member over the past week. It's overwhelming how many 2019 1500 express QC pentastar 4x4s are on the lots near me. Classics, not the new style. Probably hundreds of them. I do love my 2017 1500 express QC with the pentastar. It's the ideal cruiser truck that gives you truck features. Would I want to pay ~$35K for a brand new one, where an SLT, 5.7L, crew cab could be had for ~$2K more? Probably not. Trying to find anything on the lot without the 3.21 gears is about impossible in my area as well, unless it's a Rebel.

Same story in the used market out here, which leads to a question of what it would take to swap out the 3.21 for 3.92 gearing... I know the front and rear pumpkins would have to be cracked open, but what else would it take (besides maybe a PCM flash?)

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I've been shopping late model used Ram 1500s for a family member over the past week. It's overwhelming how many 2019 1500 express QC pentastar 4x4s are on the lots near me. Classics, not the new style. Probably hundreds of them. I do love my 2017 1500 express QC with the pentastar. It's the ideal cruiser truck that gives you truck features. Would I want to pay ~$35K for a brand new one, where an SLT, 5.7L, crew cab could be had for ~$2K more? Probably not. Trying to find anything on the lot without the 3.21 gears is about impossible in my area as well, unless it's a Rebel.

What I saw on the lots as far as 2WD Tradesmans was 3.21 or 3.55. The 3.21s on the black bumper models (which I bought) that had some interior upgrades (power windows/mirrors, carpet, bluetooth, satellite, premium door trim), and the chrome bumper models with sliding rear window and slightly upgraded rims that had 3.55. I didn't want a 3.55 diff or a sliding rear window, and am "over" chrome bumpers so it was an easy choice.

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I owned a 2007 Ram with the 3.7L V6 before I upgraded to my 2015 Ram Quad Cab with the 5.7 Hemi. My wife drives a 2016 Ram with the V6 motor in it. Both trucks have stock 20's. While I am much more impressed with her V6 over my last v6, I love my 5.7 Hemi. My hemi seems to average a better MPG than her V6 does, but that probably has something to do with our driving habits. I ALWAYS turn the eco mode off in my truck because I have an upgraded (and loud) exhaust system that just wounds terrible when eco mode kicks in, plus I never noticed a difference in MPG when eco mode was on vs. when it is off. On an average tank of gas (driving to and from work and a little bit around town) I average about 18-19MPG, while hers averages 15-16. On long highway trips I have had my average up to 23.6MPG. Both trucks are nice but personally I will always go with a V8 mostly because I like my truck to sound mean and I like the option of putting bigger wheels and tires on it without worrying about losing too much power.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I dunno. I've driven both. Late model 5.7's and Pentastars with 3.21's and the 8spd. If I had ear plugs in and couldn't hear a thing, it would take me awhile to guess what engine I was driving in normal driving situations with just myself, or myself and one passenger in the truck.

Load the thing up with 4 people or any cargo and you will feel the difference. It's still not horrible at all with the V6 and I wouldn't say it's struggling at all, it just takes more go pedal and revs than the hemi when loaded down.

Mambo Dave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I test drove the V6 with the 8-speed transmission in 2015, and easily could have lived with it. Easily.

When I told a dealership about what I was looking for, though, they found the truck with the Hemi, so Hemi it was. I didn't gain much from it except way too much speed, lol.

One fear is that V6's across many makers have proven to be less reliable than many modern V8's, so I like that I have a 5.7L.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 2015 v6 8spd and I would off had that combo in this truck if I could at the time of ordering. I loved the simplicity of the Pentastar especially the oil filter change. Hemi oil filter change is a royal pain in the ass. Takes about an hour to clean up the mess afterwards.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I test drove the V6 with the 8-speed transmission in 2015, and easily could have lived with it. Easily.

When I told a dealership about what I was looking for, though, they found the truck with the Hemi, so Hemi it was. I didn't gain much from it except way too much speed, lol.

One fear is that V6's across many makers have proven to be less reliable than many modern V8's, so I like that I have a 5.7L.

Actually the Ford V6 was a great success, after they are ironed out a couple issues in the first couple years. In fact I think it was a more reliable engine than their Triton V8s. I drove one 300,000 miles with no engine issues except some leaky valve guides at the end.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar

I read up on the Pentastar before buying and was very impressed with the engineering that went into the 3.6. The first models had an issue with one of the heads and the oil filter housing but these have been fixed and this engine is looking to be stellar as far as durability is concerned. In the power department its amazing for its small 220 cubic inch displacement and the fuel economy is exceptional considering its pushing 5000#.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I know it's been mentioned, but the best thing about the Pentastar, is it makes it's power without anything fancy. Plus it's a fuel sipper without the need for direct injection or active cylinder management.

I honestly believe if you're the type who mostly hauls air and keeps your truck for 10yrs+, this little v6 is the way to go. Even if you do some boat or camper hauling, get the 3.55 gears and you can pull just over 7000lbs.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I love my V6 and only rarely do I wish I got the hemi. Those times are only when I tow and still then, she's good. Now... put a pedal commander on the V6 and you'll be even more impressed.

Yep, that's what I did. That and the 3.92's make me not miss my former Hemi much at all. Ok, well, except for the sound... :peace:

Buck-One

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7l HEMI
All I have ever owned was a V-8 engine since my first car back in the late 70's. I'm not a gear head, it's just how things worked out. My last two trucks have been Dakotas with a V-8 by chance, but when I shopped around for my first Ram 1500 I had to have a HEMI just for the experience. I love my HEMI and wouldn't trade it.
On the other hand, a co-worker of mine has a V-6 in his 2017 Ram 1500 CC and wouldn't trade it. I figure that they are both good platforms.

snowman3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I honestly believe if you're the type who mostly hauls air...

Yup, that's me. 95% of her life will be as a commuter queen hauling nothing more than my fat butt around. I actually bought my '17 with the Pentastar/8-speed after taking it for a test drive and not even realizing that it wasn't the 5.7 until popping the hood afterwards (granted, I may have noticed if the salesman wasn't along for the test drive.;)) Until you either load her up or try to push the go-pedal through the floorboards, she does deceptively well, but even in those scenarios still performs respectably considering it has less displacement that my Buick Park Ave. It is noticeably lacking in the exhaust note though compared to the '10 Ram I had a while back with the 5.7

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The Pentastar V6 is probably one of the BEST engines Chrysler ever produced. It's design is fantastic. SUPERCHARGE it and it will kick everyone's ass putting over 400HP at the tires. Guys with base model v6 Challengers w/ RiPP superchargers are beating 392 hemis at the drag strip.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Good info on the V6. I bet it is the 8 speed that makes all the difference. I personally don’t think I’d ever go with a V6 just because I’m a V8 guy, but it’s good to know that it’s a capable truck.

I've been a V8 guy too, but it was either get a prius or get a lot better gas mileage in a pickup. I don't want to get caught next time with a gas guzzler v8 and gas approaching $4/gal. This v6 is giving me tanks at 25mpg or a little better if I don't romp on it. I stay in the slow lane and keep speeds around 65 for the most part. Even around town, I'm able to keep it up in the 24mpg range. I can't see that in any v8. My 98 on a good day would give me 15 or 16. The v6 10 mpg/40% improvement was substantial and a major selling point for me. Not only that but the 8 speed and the added horsepower of the v6 in my new truck can scoot around pretty well. I'm hopeful that with careful maintenance and full synthetic, I'll get a reliability close to my old V8 truck too. But I might be dreaming there...

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dr Right, as a ProCharged V6 Mustang owner, that's good to hear about the Ripped Challengers. My car weighs less, @ 3560 lbs. But I have a manual, and probably can't shift as fast as the 8 speed in the Challengers.

I remember reading, before I had mine put in, about how a ProCharged V6 Mustang got even better gas mileage than it did before, and thinking: yeah, BS. But it does, 1 or 1 1/2 more mile per gallon. If you stay out of boost .

If my truck was stolen, never to be seen again, the engine choice would be a tough one. The Pentastar is that good.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went into the dealer convinced I wouldn’t even consider a non Hemi Ram. They had a truck sitting there that was exactly what I was looking for except being a V6, and I somewhat reluctantly decided to test drive it. I’m glad I did! For my uses, I have zero complaints or regrets about the pentastar/8 spd combo.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Two months in and 2500 miles so far on my 2019 Classic with the Pentastar + 3.55 gearing and I am totally happy.

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Gearing is my only regret. I’ve got the 3.21. Should’ve gotten 3.55 for two reasons.

1...larger tires with less impact on shifting, mileage, etc
2...towing. I don’t tow hardly at all but it would be nice to have the ability if needed. The 3.21 is rated at like 4500 lbs. 3.55 is over 7000 lbs. big difference for a checkbox of $95 when ordering.

I’m averaging over 20mpg and have 32k miles and love it. Even my dad who has a Hemi was surprised first time he drove mine at the power. That speaks a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Obviously a lot of people really do use their trucks to their full capability, but the majority of trucks running around have way more capacity than they’re ever used for. Don’t get me wrong, I totally understand that feeling of liking to know that if you wanted to you could, but this time around I tried not to buy more truck than I needed. Or....I should say I let my wife be the voice of reason.
There was a conversation that went something like this..her: “what did you think of the test drive?”, me: “I was impressed by it, the truck drove great but I just don’t know about the towing capacity, I think it’s only like 5000 lbs” Her: “oh...how much does our trailer weigh?” Me after a long pause: “about 3000 lbs fully loaded” Her: “so why does it matter?” Damn her and her logic, lol! For real though, I’m incredibly surprised at how well this engine and trans combo work together.

code54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 6 cyl. Ram 1500 for work, had a 5.7 before that. (Personal truck is a 2500 6.4 and a CTD before that).
If you just do light hauling the 6cyl. is plenty. I don't tow with the work trucks but drive a LOT. The 6 is amazing - smooth, decent power and mileage. I really am impressed. I was concerned I wasn't getting another Hemi but that has passed and I can't say I ever think about it being a 6, the 8 speed makes this truck run like an 8 cyl. with the 6 cyl.