1500/V6 impressions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I had my truck in for warranty work this week and was given a 2018 1500/V6 as a loaner.

For some reason, it stayed in eco mode no matter what I did? Manuel gears or not? It was a crew cab sport I think. No frills like my tradesman but a nice truck.

Overall I felt it was a good truck. Decent power for a v6, fuel mileage was very good, up over 18 city. I did miss my 2500 though and having the 1500 for a day confirmed my choice in going to the 2500 was a good one for me.

But again, it was a nice truck and the v6 didn't feel strained or underpowered at all with the 8 speed. That dial shifter is goofy though. I don't care for that at all. The ride was very good, didn't feel the harsh roads much at all. Similar ride to the Silverado 1500 I traded on my ram.

Just figured I'd share.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I had my truck in for warranty work this week and was given a 2018 1500/V6 as a loaner.

For some reason, it stayed in eco mode no matter what I did? Manuel gears or not? It was a crew cab sport I think. No frills like my tradesman but a nice truck.

Overall I felt it was a good truck. Decent power for a v6, fuel mileage was very good, up over 18 city. I did miss my 2500 though and having the 1500 for a day confirmed my choice in going to the 2500 was a good one for me.

But again, it was a nice truck and the v6 didn't feel strained or underpowered at all with the 8 speed. That dial shifter is goofy though. I don't care for that at all. The ride was very good, didn't feel the harsh roads much at all. Similar ride to the Silverado 1500 I traded on my ram.

Just figured I'd share.
Oh yeah. I had a 8spd v6 loner when I got my truck. It’s pretty awesome as a “car/truck” good mileage. Good power “for a truck”. Great around town commuter truck. We’ve thought about getting one later down the road for the wife. I was impressed but I LOVE my big ole 2500 Dino fuel burning machine :driver:

Last edited:

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just out of curiosity, why did you go with a 2500? And is it a 6.4 or 6.7? Good info on the V6. I bet it is the 8 speed that makes all the difference. I personally don’t think I’d ever go with a V6 just because I’m a V8 guy, but it’s good to know that it’s a capable truck.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I went with a 2500 cause I pull goosenecks on occasion and the farm is pretty rough. So having the bigger tougher suspension holds up out there a bit better. Plus I like a big ole truck. Mines the 5.7 crew 8' bed. At times with a load its a bit much but overall it does what I need it to do. If we get rid of her car in the next year or 2 we will prolly go with a v6 crewcab 2wd just cause its not bad at all.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I bet it is the 8 speed that makes all the difference.

Seems like the 8sp is a good all around transmission. The great gearing gives the V6 the grunt it needs down low and gives the V8 the overdrive it needs for fuel economy.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I'm still incredibly happy with my little 6-banger, but yes, if you have serious towing/hauling needs (7k lbs +), an HD is a far better choice. You *could* get by with an Ecodiesel for actual farming, but I wouldn't recommend even that if you make a living off the land.

A lot of the loggers around here tend towards owning 2500/250 series-sized trucks and higher, though I suspect it's more for the macho cachet than for any actual use (most drive their trucks to the worksite and back, but don't do much else with 'em, and they rarely leave the logging mainlines to get there.) OTOH, I've seen farmers make do with 2500/250 trucks when sanity would dictate a 3500/350 truck for some of the insane things (read: a gooseneck with lots of big bales or a dozen head of dairy cattle) that they pull around. My next-door neighbors, an elderly couple, do that routinely with an older F-250... you can almost feel the poor thing get beat all to hell when they do it.

My little hobby farm doesn't require any actual towing/hauling on a scale that requires a Hemi, let alone an HD truck... it's only 6 ac., two of which are heavily forested. My needs are way too light for a 1500 w/ a Hemi, let alone an HD truck. Was originally looking for an Ecodiesel though, but mostly because of engine longevity and fuel mileage (and I'll admit it, the sound too.)

The little thing in my driveway does *very* well, both on and off-road. Out here's that's real important, especially when you're after elk, deer, or firewood. When you're out in the logging leases and leave the mainlines, the 'roads' can get real ugly, real quick. I've lost count of touristas I've heard about on the scanners (and occasionally seen) who get stuck out there, thinking their little Subaru AWD could handle the abuse, and somehow get them close to some talked-about sweet campsite in style...

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am also very Happy with my V6. 1500 4x4 Quad Cab,. 21.6 mpg, with winter gas and ethanol mix, doing 70/75 on the highway from Bangor Maine to Boston and back ! Boston traffic sucked donkey turds but my MPG was very good IMO Hand Calculated I averaged 20.5 to 21 .. BUT I agree if I was going to tow a 5th wheel the Hemi is the only way to go ! My RAM is a Street Queen :) I have driven several Hemi's to and from the auction and YES they are fun and sound GREAT :)

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just throwing this out there about MPG - just drove my 5.7 Hemi, 4x4 crew cab from Arkansas to Michigan, and I averaged ~20mpg, including some heavier traffic around Chicago. I say this just to show that the Hemi can get pretty solid mileage on long highway trips (mostly because of MDS, which I usually turn off when driving in the city).

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The Pentastar and 8 speed combo are plenty if you aren't planning on regularly towing heavy weight or putting on big heavy tires etc. And it is plenty of engine for the lighter Jeeps and sedans. The new transmissions help a lot.

Check out the recent towing test TFL did with Hemi vs Pentastar on the new 5th gen. The V6 struggled a bit compared to the Hemi but did respectably well for the severe conditions.

The last time I was in a 1500 it was the same feeling for me. I was glad I had the 2500. The reason most people don't want an HD truck is exactly the reasons I want one. The more truck-like features are what I wanted.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Just out of curiosity, why did you go with a 2500? And is it a 6.4 or 6.7? Good info on the V6. I bet it is the 8 speed that makes all the difference. I personally don’t think I’d ever go with a V6 just because I’m a V8 guy, but it’s good to know that it’s a capable truck.

Because with the tt i have (old and heavy) plus my family of 4 (big boys) and all the gear for a week camping trip i knew i was pushing my limits with my 1500 Silverado. It handled it well but it felt "heavy" ie i was maxed out and i knew it. My 2500 is 6.4/3.73 geared

Plus i just prefer the heavier suspension components of the 2500 and the ride of the 2500.

Both are good. No question... to me personally the 1500 is a truck...the 2500 is a piece of equipment

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For what I do, I think I'd be ok with a Pentastar. It would have to have a 3.92 rear end, tho.

I think if they'd put 2 more cylinders on a Pentastar, it'd be a better engine than the 5.7 Hemi.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I love my V6 and only rarely do I wish I got the hemi. Those times are only when I tow and still then, she's good. Now... put a pedal commander on the V6 and you'll be even more impressed.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
For what I do, I think I'd be ok with a Pentastar. It would have to have a 3.92 rear end, tho.

I think if they'd put 2 more cylinders on a Pentastar, it'd be a better engine than the 5.7 Hemi.

But with an 8 speed trans IMHO the 3.21 does just fine with the Pentastar. In fact 3rd gear on my new Ram is lower than 1st gear was on my old 2000 Ford F150 (it had a 3.55). Maybe if you plan to tow a lot, but I'd get the 3.55 instead. YMMV

I'm a big fan of the V6 with 8 speed and 3.21 so far. It just cruises at low RPM getting great mileage, but if I step on it, it goes! Also the "tow/haul' setting raises the shift point RPMs, a nice feature for mountains and towing.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I have the best of 2 worlds, a 5.9 Cummins for my big cabover and pulling a #9000 TT and my 1500 v6 for light towing and use as a car. The diesel is all truck and the 1500 is nicest riding and driving vehicle I have ever owned. Whenever possible I am in the 1500 for comfort.

Mopar man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t get me wrong I love my 2014 ram. Big horn 1500 hemi 4x4. Real city driving in Southern California like I do, the mpg is absolutely terrible. Anywhere from 10.5-11.5 depending on how I drive. Idle time and short distance to traffic lights kills it. On the highway? With the 35’s and zero lift it gets at best 16 mpg. This is measured on a 320 mile trip to the river every few months. Only engine mods are carven competitor exhaust and k&n CAI.

If I could go back and test drive the same truck but v6 and the diesel I would for sure. Saying that I still love the hemi and my 400 horsepower. Nothing beats the sound of a hemi/carven competitor!

For reference I also have a bone stock 2016 Durango RT and it gets 12 mpg city and about 22 mpg on that same river trip

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Never drove the b6 in the trucks only in police cars. The v6 wasn’t as fast of the line but if you rolled into the throttle, you couldn’t tell much of a difference.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've been shopping late model used Ram 1500s for a family member over the past week. It's overwhelming how many 2019 1500 express QC pentastar 4x4s are on the lots near me. Classics, not the new style. Probably hundreds of them. I do love my 2017 1500 express QC with the pentastar. It's the ideal cruiser truck that gives you truck features. Would I want to pay ~$35K for a brand new one, where an SLT, 5.7L, crew cab could be had for ~$2K more? Probably not. Trying to find anything on the lot without the 3.21 gears is about impossible in my area as well, unless it's a Rebel.

Last edited: