16 Ram 1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Much nice. How you like them? I'm really considering them here in the future for a little better load handling manners. My bilstein coils have held true to 1/2" lift but are just so soft it's almost ridiculous. Between you and ram1500rsm these should have a good amount of testing under extremes to see how they hold up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Only dove the truck about 50 miles since I put em on but they feel great! Seem much more stable than how I had the poly spacer on top of the Icon coil. I am very curious myself on how their manners will be off road once I have all the camping gear loaded up and a full water tank.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only dove the truck about 50 miles since I put em on but they feel great! Seem much more stable than how I had the poly spacer on top of the Icon coil. I am very curious myself on how their manners will be off road once I have all the camping gear loaded up and a full water tank.
They'll handle the load very nicely. last week i went camping with the family and I had the truck loaded to the roof with camping gear and supplies 5 bicycles and all the stuff the wife could pack for around a week even though we were going 2 nights :) and the coils/suspension felt great with all the extra weight. Also i've had zero issues offroad so far, hit couple of washes in Anza couple of weeks ago and the suspesion felt composed overall.

I think they clack some like the Icons did around speedbumps. Either that or it's my shovel in the back or the Hi lift jack making the clack clack noise hahah, i won't even bother to find what it's cause it's not a big deal.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
They'll handle the load very nicely. last week i went camping with the family and I had the truck loaded to the roof with camping gear and supplies 5 bicycles and all the stuff the wife could pack for around a week even though we were going 2 nights :) and the coils/suspension felt great with all the extra weight. Also i've had zero issues offroad so far, hit couple of washes in Anza couple of weeks ago and the suspesion felt composed overall.

I think they clack some like the Icons did around speedbumps. Either that or it's my shovel in the back or the Hi lift jack making the clack clack noise hahah, i won't even bother to find what it's cause it's not a big deal.
Nice to hear all the great things about them. I was looking at the clearance between the coil and the upper mounting bracket and damn it is close, damn near touching. I was thinking that it would be a potential source for noise from metal on metal during articulation.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice to hear all the great things about them. I was looking at the clearance between the coil and the upper mounting bracket and damn it is close, damn near touching. I was thinking that it would be a potential source for noise from metal on metal during articulation.

It's close but they don't seem to move, i think if anything is the death coils touching. i drove around those washes in Anza for about half day with the whole family onboard plus camping gear and they didn't make any noise at all. The only time i will hear the noise is when going through a speedbump.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Kennedy Meadows and Kern River. Happy to say that the Clayton coils performed very well even with a full water tank and all camping gear. At no point did they fell to stiff or have restriction on the compression cycle. Looking forward to more testing. At this point doesn’t seem like I need to change the valving on the rear shocks. Oh and picked up a few more pin stripes.

B9B7CA4E-BB23-4E31-98A3-CC646601B651.jpeg

5E03B500-391E-47E2-95F9-FB829A407A99.jpeg

52FB63C7-B201-4369-A6A8-770596828FE1.jpeg

324CD426-2CFC-47DB-A545-0446F0421C13.jpeg

FA264AC7-31BD-4BCA-B094-C6AB0EAA0F0B.jpeg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kennedy Meadows and Kern River. Happy to say that the Clayton coils performed very well even with a full water tank and all camping gear. At no point did they fell to stiff or have restriction on the compression cycle. Looking forward to more testing. At this point doesn’t seem like I need to change the valving on the rear shocks. Oh and picked up a few more pin stripes.

View attachment 214395

View attachment 214396

View attachment 214397

View attachment 214398

View attachment 214399
Very nice to hear Zach. I still can't shake the grin of my face when i load my stuff to the roof, and i'm sure you have a few lbs more weight than me because of you camping gear, these damn Clayton springs were a blessing during the Covid chit, not only they're long but they can hold the weight very well..., and to think there is even another version (3.5's) if it was needed lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Front +3 and rear +5 KLM brake lines installed. Should have only done +1 or 2 in the front. Rear I was aiming to get 3” longer but knowing had to cut and re flare the line went with the +5 to account for any tube loss or mistakes.
Longer rear lines made it possible to get some more droop out of the Kings.

Hub to Fender measurements
Straight Bump- 19.5”
Ride Height-25.25”
Strapped at - 31” (shock eye to eye 28.5”)

B7E9DE17-33D9-41A8-B160-706CFC24FC76.jpeg

DA8748EB-4F98-4B77-98A0-0130834FF85D.jpeg

7179360D-1AF4-4A47-AA7F-2B858B902DFD.png

F754E5F3-077D-4AC0-B48C-500523965776.jpeg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Front +3 and rear +5 KLM brake lines installed. Should have only done +1 or 2 in the front. Rear I was aiming to get 3” longer but knowing had to cut and re flare the line went with the +5 to account for any tube loss or mistakes.

Straight Bump- 19.5”
Ride Height-25.25”

View attachment 214978

View attachment 214979

View attachment 214980

View attachment 214981
11.5" of vertical wheel travel is impressive for oem stuff on what's supposed to be a street truck. Especially with basic bolt ons. Articulation has gotta be even more impressive! I forgot to cycle the front end with my coilover out to see what the actual travel is, but I keep reading between 9 and 10" which, paired with that rear setup you're running should feel pretty nice offroad for sure.

After dealing with flaring nightmares on my xj I don't think I'll be doin lines any time soon, it's much easier to just run a little shorter shock lol.

Side note, how are those coopers doin for You? I'm close to getting new treads for the truck and these are high on the list.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
11.5" of vertical wheel travel is impressive for oem stuff on what's supposed to be a street truck. Especially with basic bolt ons. Articulation has gotta be even more impressive! I forgot to cycle the front end with my coilover out to see what the actual travel is, but I keep reading between 9 and 10" which, paired with that rear setup you're running should feel pretty nice offroad for sure.

After dealing with flaring nightmares on my xj I don't think I'll be doin lines any time soon, it's much easier to just run a little shorter shock lol.

Side note, how are those coopers doin for You? I'm close to getting new treads for the truck and these are high on the list.

One thing I’ve noticed most with the extra travel in the rear is the ability to stay in 2wd a lot more on those odd off camber trails.
No complaints with the coopers at all. They grip very well off road in the rocks and pretty impressed with their ability to stay on top of the soft stuff. Been averaging 17-18 mpg with them, a touch better than the continentals but those were also 1” taller and 2” wider. Haven’t been in any real rain with them yet nor have I been in the snow/ice so can’t speak to their ability in that category yet.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
One thing I’ve noticed most with the extra travel in the rear is the ability to stay in 2wd a lot more on those odd off camber trails.
No complaints with the coopers at all. They grip very well off road in the rocks and pretty impressed with their ability to stay on top of the soft stuff. Been averaging 17-18 mpg with them, a touch better than the continentals but those were also 1” taller and 2” wider. Haven’t been in any real rain with them yet nor have I been in the snow/ice so can’t speak to their ability in that category yet.

Well that makes alot of sense, your rig is like a slinky! That's why I added some height into my jeep, lockers or not you don't have traction with tires in the air.

Tires are a toss up of compromises, at this point in mainly concerned about pavement performance. I have nothing around here I'm willing to shoehorn the truck down anyway so save for some dirt and jobsite mud it won't see much so I don't need agressive. Snow and rain are hard to deal with, we get either nothing or agressive storms honestly so no matter what I run I have to be careful I don't hydroplane and in snow I usually click 4x4 out of habit and let the morons run off the road. I'm pulling about 24mpg on 315s so if I can eek closer to 25mpg I'd be happy and have over 600 mile range.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Straight Bump- 19.5”
Ride Height-25.25”

View attachment 214978

View attachment 214979

View attachment 214980

View attachment 214981
Awesome bro i was going to ask you about the length for the rear, so 5" is what i should ask for the rear correct ?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Straight Bump- 19.5”
Ride Height-25.25”

View attachment 214978

View attachment 214979

View attachment 214980

View attachment 214981

I ordered 3” front brake lines and wish I had only ordered 2” lines but they fit. I ordered 3” rear lines as well and they fit perfect for me with cutting back some of the hard line. I have slack still when I lift my rear tires off the ground. Yours Looks good. I think I’ve measured out roughly 3.5” of down travel still in my front with the bilstein and eibach combo on top of the 1/2” puck spacer. I’m guessing 9-10” of front travel. My rear being 1” taller and the extended bilstein shocks I’m not sure. I’ve yet to test out the rear flex. These shocks have 10” of travel though. I need to get off-road but the group I’ve been trying to go with has canceled all their events due to Covid.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Awesome bro i was going to ask you about the length for the rear, so 5" is what i should ask for the rear correct ?
4-5” is a safe bet for the rear. I lost about 2” on the passenger side trying to get the double flare correct. Lost about 1.5” on the driver side to get a straight enough section. All in all I probably ended up being 3-3.5” over oem. Had to do a zip tie and standoff to pull the line in, was awfully close to the tire at ride height. Oh and the new male fitting will not slip over the coating on the tube, you’ll have to remove that before hand.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4-5” is a safe bet for the rear. I lost about 2” on the passenger side trying to get the double flare correct. Lost about 1.5” on the driver side to get a straight enough section. All in all I probably ended up being 3-3.5” over oem. Had to do a zip tie and standoff to pull the line in, was awfully close to the tire at ride height. Oh and the new male fitting will not slip over the coating on the tube, you’ll have to remove that before hand.
Yup. I found that out when I did mine. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/braided-brake-hoses.157738/page-2#post-2236077

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Same here, first I forced the fitting up far enough to get the flaring tool on there but it kept slipping, so cut that section off and took the trusty angle grinder with a wire wheel to it while brake fluid was dripping out of the line. Was covered head to toe in fluid, a **** show that to say the least lol. Then used too much pressure and cracked the flare. Cut it off and finally made it happen. Other side went pretty smooth.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Same here, first I forced the fitting up far enough to get the flaring tool on there but it kept slipping, so cut that section off and took the trusty angle grinder with a wire wheel to it while brake fluid was dripping out of the line. Was covered head to toe in fluid, a **** show that to say the least lol. Then used too much pressure and cracked the flare. Cut it off and finally made it happen. Other side went pretty smooth.
Are the factory lines stainless or a harder tubing? I know the stainless lines I did on the jeep will never be something I mess with again. One fitting took me 3 full days to get a proper double flare without the hydraulic flaring tool.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Are the factory lines stainless or a harder tubing? I know the stainless lines I did on the jeep will never be something I mess with again. One fitting took me 3 full days to get a proper double flare without the hydraulic flaring tool.

They are just plain steel with a plastic like corrosion coating.
I’m used to doing the compression style with a ferrule on seal lines at work, which is a breeze, so thought a double flare wouldn’t be that bad. Man was I in for a surprise lol. Couldn’t imagine having to do ss lines with one of those hand flaring tools.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
They are just plain steel with a plastic like corrosion coating.
I’m used to doing the compression style with a ferrule on seal lines at work, which is a breeze, so thought a double flare wouldn’t be that bad. Man was I in for a surprise lol. Couldn’t imagine having to do ss lines with one of those hand flaring tools.
SS will either be brought to the shop or get compression fittings next time. No joke. I actually smashed one of my flaring tools on day 2 after failed attempt like 9. Never ever again, id rather punch a cactus with my face.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
SS will either be brought to the shop or get compression fittings next time. No joke. I actually smashed one of my flaring tools on day 2 after failed attempt like 9. Never ever again, id rather punch a cactus with my face.

Lol, I Imagine that ss tubing would have a tendency to tear rather than flare.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500