1986 D150 318 Dizzy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustBib

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All,
What is the best upgrade for replacing the original dizzy? Seems it may have seen better days.

Bib

dist.jpg

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Following. Idk what a dizzy is. Is there a different name for this? Pic looks like a trans...

Blue Mule

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It is a distributor. In the olden days the spark from one coil was distributed to each spark plug by that device in the picture. The single coil can be seen to the right of the rusty distributor.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Now if you had've said the distributor.
I wouldn't have asked the stupid question.

I'm 50 y/o worked on cars n trucks since I was big enough to hold a wrench n never heard it called that.
Lol
I'm from Texas, a country boy from birth.
Now let's see if we can fix your truck...

Blue Mule

OP
OP
J

JustBib

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now if you had've said the distributor.
I wouldn't have asked the stupid question.

I'm 50 y/o worked on cars n trucks since I was big enough to hold a wrench n never heard it called that.
Lol
I'm from Texas, a country boy from birth.
Now let's see if we can fix your truck...

Blue Mule
59 here, Jar-Head and been calling it a dizzy since working on whatever they threw at me while I was in. Just replaced it with a new unit, no advance and all seems well. This is an ESA controlled igintion with that lean-burn set-up.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
59 here, Jar-Head and been calling it a dizzy since working on whatever they threw at me while I was in. Just replaced it with a new unit, no advance and all seems well. This is an ESA controlled igintion with that lean-burn set-up.
Oorahh Devil Dog

Blue Mule

leowes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either rebuild it or buy a remanufactured unit. The stock setup is fine. You can always upgrade the ign module to the orange box and a performance coil if you want a hotter spark.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either rebuild it or buy a remanufactured unit. The stock setup is fine. You can always upgrade the ign module to the orange box and a performance coil if you want a hotter spark.

Not with that setup he can't, he would need a vacuum advance type distributor to go to the orange box.
A kit like this is the easiest way to get rid of lean burn.

https://www.manciniracing.com/ma27331834033.html

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as there isn't any play in the bushing, just cleaning that distributor up and setting the reluctor gap should work fine.

If he wanted to keep the lean burn but just get a little better spark, a really easy way would be to just hook up a msd 6a - use the current coil wires as the MSD trigger and fire the coil off of the MSD.

The stock lean burn was ok but was low on spark output. I don't know if a performance coil would stress the lean burn box to the point that it would fail, where as using a MSD 6A takes a load off of the lean burn box while delivering a multi spark and hotter spark. Mix this with a mopar cap and rotor and Summit 8 mm wires and should be good to go.