'19s with Pentastar - slim pickings...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stasek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I've been debating getting a new truck (upgrade my '06 Tundra Crew Cab). I do construction work (GC/remodeling), but never tow, so the Pentastar would be ideal (and a vast improvement in terms of power AND MPG over the wimpy 4.7 V8). I've been searching within 100 miles of me (Chicagoland), and there are only 65 Pentastars available and only 29 come with the longer bed, and NONE with crew cab! WTH - this is pathetic! I know the Pentasters became available only couple months ago, but come on! I really don't want to order and wait for the truck, but if the inventory doesn't improve, I don't think I'll have much choice (vent over).
Is there hope that more V6s will start showing up?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think there's too many crew cab long box half tons out there. I'd guess around 90% of the newer half ton crew cabs have the extremely short bed, so its probably going to be real difficult to find a long bed crew cab. I can't say this for sure but I don't think this is unique to Ram, most of the other brands I see seem to be the same situation.

OP
OP
S

Stasek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I don't think there's too many crew cab long box half tons out there. I'd guess around 90% of the newer half ton crew cabs have the extremely short bed, so its probably going to be real difficult to find a long bed crew cab. I can't say this for sure but I don't think this is unique to Ram, most of the other brands I see seem to be the same situation.

There are actually 200 crew cabs w/ long bed available within 100 miles, but all of them have the Hemi.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are actually 200 crew cabs w/ long bed available within 100 miles, but all of them have the Hemi.

By long bed are we talking 6.5' or 8'? Either way I'm still surprised you could even find that many hemi crew cab with 6.5' beds, I almost never see those.

OP
OP
S

Stasek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
By long bed are we talking 6.5' or 8'? Either way I'm still surprised you could even find that many hemi crew cab with 6.5' beds, I almost never see those.
By long, I mean 6’4” - perfect size to carry some 7-7’6” fishing rods .

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By long, I mean 6’4” - perfect size to carry some 7-7’6” fishing rods .

Ah I gotcha, yeah I'm with you there, I think that's the best configuration. My last few rams have been sport regular cabs, also not too common. Had to travel about 5-6 hours one way for both of them. It sucks but I wanted that configuration specifically and they don't make many so I just had to do it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Stasek, sorry if I missed it, but are we talking a new body style 2019 or a classic with the 2018 body style?

I thought the new style Pentastar ram 1500s all have the fancy e-torq system if that's what you're after.

OP
OP
S

Stasek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Stasek, sorry if I missed it, but are we talking a new body style 2019 or a classic with the 2018 body style?

I thought the new style Pentastar ram 1500s all have the fancy e-torq system if that's what you're after.

Yes - the 5th Gen. And to be honest - not a fan of eTorque - just another potential headache down the road.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
5.7 would cost a few bucks at purchase but would give you better trade-in value or be easier to sell later. you can figure how many extra gallons of gas you might buy in a year and get an idea how much more the cost to drive it will be. may be only a cpl. hundred more per year.

OP
OP
S

Stasek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
5.7 would cost a few bucks at purchase but would give you better trade-in value or be easier to sell later. you can figure how many extra gallons of gas you might buy in a year and get an idea how much more the cost to drive it will be. may be only a cpl. hundred more per year.

I ran the numbers and at 15k miles a year, I’m looking at about $500 a year in gas (assuming 17 and 21 mpg, respectively). Over, let’s say, 5 years, that’s $2500 in extra gas plus the $1500 or so extra for HEMI. Is the HEMI worth $4k more? Hmmm.... decisions, decisions, decisions...

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
maybe a close call but probably more fun to drive in the meantime..

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I believe you're right, all the new Pentastar's are etorque.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I believe you're right, all the new Pentastar's are etorque.

Yeah, I'd hate to see a good thing get ruined, but time will tell I on it I guess.

I suppose one of the things going for this E-torq system on the 3.6L is there's tons of room under the hood. I'd just hate to see the replacement cost of that motor/alternator unit.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I'd hate to see a good thing get ruined, but time will tell I on it I guess.

I suppose one of the things going for this E-torq system on the 3.6L is there's tons of room under the hood. I'd just hate to see the replacement cost of that motor/alternator unit.

Agreed, it would be nice if they kept it as an option rather than putting it on all the v6's. As of right now if I were buying, I would want one without the etorque.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I ran the numbers and at 15k miles a year, I’m looking at about $500 a year in gas (assuming 17 and 21 mpg, respectively). Over, let’s say, 5 years, that’s $2500 in extra gas plus the $1500 or so extra for HEMI. Is the HEMI worth $4k more? Hmmm.... decisions, decisions, decisions...

Yes it is worth the difference

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You may be pleasantly surprised at the fuel economy of the 5.7-L Hemi; if you are reasonably careful with it (not an easy task ;) ), it can do >20 MPG in combined driving... it all depends upon driving conditions, too. Open highway driving may yield 23-34 MPG.

I have seen very few 2-door with 8-foot box here in NY; the trend appears to be Crew/Mega cabs.

East0352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just curious why you're not interested in the V8. Ive been driving a loaner all week and they get 25 mpg on the highway. My work truck pentastar gets 26 and couldn't pull itself out of a paper bag.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Just curious why you're not interested in the V8.

He doesn't want the lousy gas mileage the hemi provides.

Ive been driving a loaner all week and they get 25 mpg on the highway.

Sure...sure...

My work truck pentastar gets 26 and couldn't pull itself out of a paper bag.

I'm on my second Pentastar V6. I had one in my 2015 and I have one in my 2018. I don't get 26 mpg, ever, unless I get on the freeway and drive a constant 55 mph with no wind while on level ground. Otherwise, in real world driving I can get 23 mpg, 23.5 mpg, going a steady 65 mph on the freeway.

I typically get 20 mpg in combined driving with my V6. That's about 75% city, 25% highway.

I had a hemi loaner for three days last year. I reset the EVIC when I picked it up and I got 14 mpg in combined driving (was only about 60 miles). I admit I did two or three sprints down the freeway ramp that would have affected the gas mileage but otherwise I drove it just like I drive my V6. Having the loaner with the hemi justified my decision to get the V6.

I routinely put 800 lbs. of payload in the bed of my truck and I scarcely notice it is back there. It certainly can pull itself out of a paper bag. A dry paper bag at that.

Last edited:

wblynch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought a '19 CC/SB 4x4 with Pentastar. The dealer had dozens. I actually wanted a 4x2 with Hemi but they had none. Got a great deal so went for it instead of waiting.

I actually like the e-torque and this truck has way more power than my brother's '97 V8 Ford I've been using. ;)

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just bought a '19 CC/SB 4x4 with Pentastar. The dealer had dozens. I actually wanted a 4x2 with Hemi but they had none. Got a great deal so went for it instead of waiting.

I actually like the e-torque and this truck has way more power than my brother's '97 V8 Ford I've been using. ;)

Good for you! It's a crew cab as opposed to a quad? I didn't know you could get a pentastar with the crew!

I hear you on the power thing. I grew up on 1970s, 80s, even some early 90s pickups, where having one with a V8 was rare. Even those with the V8s and gearing of the day were total slugs.

While I totally agree that if you tow a bunch, a hemi is the wise choice, but for some of us where our trucks are mainly commuter vehicles, the pentastar is perfect.

I know the fuel economy thing gets kicked around constantly here, but I'll eat my hat if there's a late model hemi Ram 1500 getting 25mpg tank to tank. I know at least 7 dudes with hemi 1500s. The best they do day to day, tank to tank (avg mpg over a WHOLE tank) is mid to high teens. With some trips averaging low 20s. Mid/high teen average over the tank is still great for this vehicle!

I average about 20% better than that tank to tank with my minivan motor.

Last edited: