2 dealerships failed to fix my rear diff under warranty so Im doing it myself.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After about 6 trips in 10K miles to the dealership for noise in the rear differential and being told it's normal, I have decided to pay to have a shop fix it out of my own pocket . I have paid a shop last week to inspect the diff to at least make sure its safe and it's just noisy and they confirmed no weird wear or bearing issues. No metal other than the minimal you would see after break in.. The truck has 11K miles on it. I didnt realize how badly I hated driving this think, but in one year I put about 7K miles more on my prior f-150 than this truck. It seems I just rather drive my 10 YR old Nissan with 177K miles on it because it never smokes on start up, and it certainly makes no weird noises.

SO, anyway, East Coast Gears in Raleigh (which is about 1.5 hours away from me) seems like a great option. I spoke to them for a good bit today over the phone. My only question is that breaking that rear diff in on the way home is about 90 Miles of interstate. Going through the break in process seems like I need about 20 minutes running, 20 minutes sitting and cooling and repeat about 5 times, varying speed and load.
Was thinking about just leaving the truck with them to do the break in, but that seems risky.

Other options? Could have my son tow it back with his f-350 DUally.. wouldn't that be a site a new dodge being towed by a new ford.. I have actually thought about jumping ship back to a super duty but I tend to enjoy the truck performance and ride wise except for the rear end and the dealership saying everything is normal. Lot cheaper to do the rear diff than jump back in the hole for a new truck again.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you dont flat bed it, you'd still have the same issue with the break in, I would think (the diff gears still spin, no?)

I drove a brand new car back 500 miles to my house. Just made sure to vary speeds and RPMs the best I could (it was an automatic but had manual mode, so I would leave it in different gears but maintain the same speed on the highway). Plan out some rest stops on the way down and back and just enjoy the trip :)

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Break in with gears seems to be very touchy with these trucks. Mine is an 09 and I just had Yukon 4.56’s put in did my best for break in and now with about 600miles on them they are whining and noisy.

I have heard the pinion preload and backlash are needed to be so tight that some shops won’t set them up to the max. Shops stay within spec but still stay away from the extreme of said spec. I am taking my truck in again to have my 4.56’s swapped out. Hopefully your next set is less headache than I have had. Good luck.

2009 QCSB 4WD - Not Stock [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChrisM101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id just take in once more, if they cannot fix it on the third try Lemon Law should take effect and force them to buy it back from you. although Im not 100% on laws state to state, I know it is the case in AL and AR. You can have a sit down with the service and general manager. Notify them that youre contacting the state attorney generals office to pursue a Lemon Claim.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id just take in once more, if they cannot fix it on the third try Lemon Law should take effect and force them to buy it back from you. although Im not 100% on laws state to state, I know it is the case in AL and AR. You can have a sit down with the service and general manager. Notify them that youre contacting the state attorney generals office to pursue a Lemon Claim.

Chris, I thought of that also, But honestly the hassle involved with that, then Id need to go finance a new truck and start all over again. In reality the only reoccurring thing I cant stand with this truck, is that rear diff. If I can get that taken care of, I'll be very happy. I have accepted the fact I will need to pay out of pocket to get that done. and Honestly I feel better to have a shop that specializes in Just that part of the truck do it, rather than a technician who is working on 3 different things during the day and his mindset has to change accordingly.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you dont flat bed it, you'd still have the same issue with the break in, I would think (the diff gears still spin, no?)

I drove a brand new car back 500 miles to my house. Just made sure to vary speeds and RPMs the best I could (it was an automatic but had manual mode, so I would leave it in different gears but maintain the same speed on the highway). Plan out some rest stops on the way down and back and just enjoy the trip :)

yea Id have him Flatbed it !

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Break in with gears seems to be very touchy with these trucks. Mine is an 09 and I just had Yukon 4.56’s put in did my best for break in and now with about 600miles on them they are whining and noisy.

I have heard the pinion preload and backlash are needed to be so tight that some shops won’t set them up to the max. Shops stay within spec but still stay away from the extreme of said spec. I am taking my truck in again to have my 4.56’s swapped out. Hopefully your next set is less headache than I have had. Good luck.

I was going to go to 4:56's myself but the truck seems to pull my camper kinda decent so I was going to hold off on them for now. But Im going on a tow up into WV in a month and if it's struggling horribly on those mountains I may swap to 4:56's as well since I will be paying to have it done anyway. I was quoted on Yukons as well.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I wonder if its the gears themselves or the set up that is causing your whine with the 4.56s? I wonder if the same issues would occur with the mopar 4.40s that the cab/chassis come with?

I'm considering the 4.40s when im out of warranty. Don't need them but it would make the truck more fun to drive and my commute is mostly back roads 12 miles each way. I bet id see a mpg increase with my commute with the 40s.

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to go to 4:56's myself but the truck seems to pull my camper kinda decent so I was going to hold off on them for now. But Im going on a tow up into WV in a month and if it's struggling horribly on those mountains I may swap to 4:56's as well since I will be paying to have it done anyway. I was quoted on Yukons as well.

I had three sets of G2 gears installed all three sets whined after 100 or so miles.

I just had a set of Yukon’s put in and now they are whining after 600 or so miles. Yukon gears seem to be better but I have yet to get a set that is quiet.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had three sets of G2 gears installed all three sets whined after 100 or so miles.

I just had a set of Yukon’s put in and now they are whining after 600 or so miles. Yukon gears seem to be better but I have yet to get a set that is quiet.

Maybe try a different shop?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For some reason 4.56's have a history of whining more than other gear ratios. Years ago I ran 4.88's and 5.13's that did not make as much noise as a set of 4.56's. I could never figure out why. I even sent the whole 3rd member to Getz Gear and had them set it up and they still made noise. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast???????
Jay

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This a really loud whine though. Sounds like it is going to blow up when it gets going.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No help here---sorry
Jay

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
Do the break in, drive home. Use it as an opportunity to stretch your legs, grab a bite to eat, etc.

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 4wd shop is having a local rear-end shop put a new set in and I will follow their exact break-in procedure. They will be installing the new gears Wednesday. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Setting up a set of gears is for the experts IMHO. I think it's a good decision going to a specialty shop. Good luck
Jay

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had gears done on a jeep wrangler that I used to rock climb with (it had a 4:1 transfer case, was stick with a 4:1 1st gear and ARB lockers) went from 3:73 to Yukon 4:56. The shop I used to regear were VERY experienced with gears. Their break in recommendation was drive it. Don't wheel it for a few hundred miles, but just drive it normally.

Every shop will have different requirements. But I beat the hell out of those gears they never broke and were very quite.

My jeep had a dana 30 front and a dana 44 rear (so different axles).

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Op, imho, it's crazy to foot this bill while under warranty. Why not pm ramcares and see if you can get the needed help.

Last edited:

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let the dealer take another shot at fixing it, if it's still not fixed go the lemon route. If you take it to another shop and have it fixed on your own it costs you money, and if there is an issue down the line with the diff the dealer may say its not covered. I had a chevy z71 years ago that was a POS, went to two chevy dealers and they sucked ass. Finally found a gmc dealer that took care of me when the truck broke.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you fix yourself you give them a free pass to deny anything on that Axle forever. I would take in again make them pay and tell them next time I am switching vehicles and it won’t be with you etc.