2000 cummins transmission cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin dredge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My 2000 cummins is and auto transmission. It has been leaking a ton of trans fluid and I located where it is coming from. There are two metal lines that come from the radiator. One goes straight back and connects toward the rear of the transmission. The other turns and goes in front of the transmission oil pan and then turns up and connects to a cylindrical thing and another metal line comes out of that cylindrical thing, in front of the oil pan and connects into the transmission. First question is what is that cylindrical thing called?

The two lines that are connected to the cylindar run close to each other and at one point they somehow must have gotten bent because they rubbed together and one of the lines has a hole from it rubbing and that is where the leak is coming from. What are these lines called? I think I found the two that go to the radiator, but I can't seem to find the one that goes from the cylindar to the trans (which is the one that is leaking). Any help or insight on this would be helpful. Is it possible and or wise to somehow patch the line instead of replacing the whole thing?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Got a photo? Kinda sounds like somebody added an external filter or something at one point

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This was talked about in the TDR forums. Simple fix was to take some rubber hose, usually fuel line, and place it over the metal lines that ran next to each other near the oil pan. I had done this on my 95 and never had an issue.