2003 Ram 1500 - Brake Pedal Goes Down Over Time - Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD Quadcab 4.7 V8 with 260,000 miles. It has 4-wheel disc brake and rear-wheel ABS. There are good pads on the back, new pads on the front, new master cylinder and the fluid has been flushed twice, three weeks ago. The system has no leaks whatsoever. Fluid is still full and looks brand new, like lemon aid.

When stopping at a stop sign or red light for a period of time, the brake pedal will lose tension and begin going down slowly. If I don't increase pressure on the pedal with my foot when stopped, the truck will sometime begin to roll forward after about 30 seconds. This issue is unnoticeable other times during normal driving.

I'm not sure what else to try to solve this. Changing the master cylinder did not help. And I flushed the system using an air-powered vacuum device that seems to pull a solid stream of new fluid from each wheel. If there is air trapped someplace, I do not know where or how to remove it. Everything seems perfect. But the problem persists even after the new master cylinder and flush. Please help.

03DodgeBrakes01.jpg

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Might be your master cylinder has developed an internal problem.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Might be your master cylinder has developed an internal problem.
That's what I thought, so I replace it per my write-up above. It did not fix the issue.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So read some of the similar threads at the bottom of this page. It sounds like the dump valve of the rear ABS unit.

slowindown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dump valve in the abs unit (where the abs valves are( probably. See my thread below “weird brake problem, pedal drops…” Fairly simple to diagnose once I figured it out and not that difficult to replace.

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Maybe the ABS sensor

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Dump valve in the abs unit (where the abs valves are( probably. See my thread below “weird brake problem, pedal drops…” Fairly simple to diagnose once I figured it out and not that difficult to replace.

This is the problem. Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat