Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 2500 head unit replace, keep infinity amp

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Oliver Closehauf, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf Member

Ram Year:
    2005 Laramie
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    All this time I was thinking I was going to smart and simply put my new amp in where the old one was. It's a big ass truck, there's plenty of space right?

Wrong.

20210501_171247.jpg

2. Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf Member

Ram Year:
    2005 Laramie
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    The size of the stock amp explains why they use 1 ohm speakers. So anyway now it's on to plan B, which I guess is put the amps under the seats. Still need to put the tweeters in the dash. All the wiring.... I remember when I was young I thought this was fun.

3. Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf Member

Ram Year:
    2005 Laramie
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    I have the correct Metra amp bypass harness kit. The plugs are correct, Just checked the service manual, wiring looks good. Once I have the las of the speakers in I'll hook the radio straight to the harness and verify it's all correct, but that part looks like it might just be easy. It's beer:30 now though so maybe tomorrow.

4. Phillyrube

Phillyrube Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Thanks for the thread...going through this with my 08. Old owner ( may he rest in peace) put 4 Pioneer head units in over the years. I can't make heads or tails over the wiring, but then my experience is radios thst you pull the buttons out on to program the station. I only have sound on the dash speakers, snd they are shot.

5. DAVID C SHOUN

DAVID C SHOUN Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi

Research information on Crutchfield.com ... My '08 SLT has 3 in the dash, 6x8s in front doors and 6.5s in rear doors. If you have the factory amp.... 1) front doors are bass ONLY and 2) with an aftermarket radio, you would loose fader control. I bypassed this by wiring rear door speakers directly to front wiring of head unit.

Phillyrube likes this.
  6. Cableman

Cableman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    Just noticed this thread!
    I had an 08 in which i gutted stock nav/amp and speakers. I got that amp out sitting upside down with my head under the back of the glove box lol used all sorts of extensions if i can remember!
    I installed all the pac harnesses, ran the headunits rear speaker leads to the old amps location and figured out which wires were what. Dash speakers i left off.
    I used a JL audio 600/3 amp to power front door jl 2 way 6x9s and a 12" alpine in custom box under rear seat. Sounded great. I was able to custom mount it just behind the glove box. Ill have to find pics on my hardrive.
    If anyone needs wire colors where back of amp was to door speakers i can search my files.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 10:24 PM
    Phillyrube likes this.
  7. Cableman

Cableman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    I had posted this years ago on the other site. I didnt have the dash colors cause i bypassed them but its easy to figure those out if you needed to.

Under dash behind glove box:
    Rf+ gray/light blue stripe
    Rf- gray/yellow stripe
    Lf+ green/light blue stripe
    Lf- green/yellow stripe
    Rr+ green/gray stripe
    Rr- green/yellow stripe
    Lr+ gray/ dark green stripe
    Lr- gray/light green stripe

At the doors the front match but the rears are differant.
    Lr+ gray/dark green stripe
    Lr- gray/light green stripe
    Rr+ same as left
    Rr- same as left