2011 5.7 Ram with Stage 1 cam, long tubes 6.4 intake, catless y pipe stock cat-back Dyno 345hp what’s going on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes possibly another 20hp. The catback will give a few and then the tuner can bump up the timing a little with some good 93 octane which will get you some hp and tq!
Since I tuned with 89. If I run 93 it wont hurt anything I suppose, but will it ad power without another tune?
Cat back after all these mods I hope adds at least 5hp, but I’ve never been a big fan other then sound but I’m gonna soon find out.
After I get it back I’m gonna tune with the cat back in about 1 month and add 93. I’ll update what the new numbers are and if it made much difference

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Since I tuned with 89. If I run 93 it wont hurt anything I suppose, but will it ad power without another tune?
Cat back after all these mods I hope adds at least 5hp, but I’ve never been a big fan other then sound but I’m gonna soon find out.
After I get it back I’m gonna tune with the cat back in about 1 month and add 93. I’ll update what the new numbers are and if it made much difference
93 won't hurt it,but if it's tuned on 89,it won't add any power,and you're just throwing money away.If you want 91 should be cheaper then 93,and will be more then enough octane

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
93 won't hurt it,but if it's tuned on 89,it won't add any power,and you're just throwing money away.If you want 91 should be cheaper then 93,and will be more then enough octane
I don’t know if anywhere that sells it around Dallas, but I bet there are a few places. Thanks

CaptQ

Reaction score
Believe it or not long tube headers can cost you power when you’re under 400hp. You need some back pressure. Back in the day everyone ran long tube headers and what they found out is better performance was obtained with shorty headers on lower hp motors. If your running power adders (blower, turbo or nitrous) then thats another story because the adders will push the lower hp motor over the threshold justifying the long tube. Diameter of the pipes matters as well.

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Believe it or not long tube headers can cost you power when you’re under 400hp. You need some back pressure. Back in the day everyone ran long tube headers and what they found out is better performance was obtained with shorty headers on lower hp motors. If your running power adders (blower, turbo or nitrous) then thats another story because the adders will push the lower hp motor over the threshold justifying the long tube. Diameter of the pipes matters as well.
So should I leave the stock cat-back in place? Do you think upgrading that will also cost me Hp since there will be more flow?
Man I wish I would have went with catted mid-pipes now.
What’s your thought?

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also do you think it’s good then the truck runs through a single y pipe and back out to duels in the rear?

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most if not all that is myth and has been debunked. take a look here. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/headers.196956/

CaptQ

Reaction score
Where that comes from and has been tested and discussed on Engine Builders, the tv show is the over sizing exhaust pipes. The functionality of X and H pipes is directly effected by the volume and pressure flowing through the pipes. Without enough volume and pressure the advantage is diminished. A good example is the stock SBC 350. 1 3/4” pipes to 2 1/4” is beneficial but 3” performance is diminished.

CaptQ

Reaction score

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From that article:
The interesting thing about this test was the fact that the shorty headers produced only slightly less peak power and torque numbers than the long tubes, but the torque gains down low were substantial.”
Yes the torque gains of the long tubes were substantial down low as proven by the graph.(shorties in red long in black) Not what you think being oposite.
1678132529197.png

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's not about restriction at all,never has been,it's all about pulses in the primaries creating a scavenging effect , to help pull in more intake flow. Even back in the 50's we knew about the scavenging effect created by the exhaust,check out what the RamChargers were doing in the 50's. By the later 70's it was common to run collector extensions to help promote scavenging,very few guys were running open headers with out collector extensions by then.

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
same thing happened to me. the 545rfe must be dyno d n 3rd gear which is 1:1. every dyno guy is used to chevy and ford transmissions. I bet he did it in 4th gear which is one of the 2 overdrive gears on 2011 ram w 545rfe. go back and get your 450hp in 3rd gear bro. HELL Yeah

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most if not all that is myth and has been debunked. take a look here. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/headers.196956/
Man I’m so glad I have long tubes cat-less mid pipe.
Do you think upgrading the 2.25 stock muffler exhaust to 2.5 with high flow muffler will add any additional power? The tuner said with my stage 1 TSP cam, 6.4 intake, long tubes and catless mid it would. Someone else said it wouldn’t do much because I always have so much flow. Sounds like the more flow better performance period.
Really makes since.

Oh will it add power without a new tune? Also I tuned on 89 should I do 93 on the next dyno tune?
I’ll post numbers after I do it.
Dyno sheet should come in anytime.
Hopefully tomorrow

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
same thing happened to me. the 545rfe must be dyno d n 3rd gear which is 1:1. every dyno guy is used to chevy and ford transmissions. I bet he did it in 4th gear which is one of the 2 overdrive gears on 2011 ram w 545rfe. go back and get your 450hp in 3rd gear bro. HELL Yeah
So he needs to do the tune in 3rd gear to get the most power? He told me he took it to 4th and maybe 5th cause he had it was up there he told me.
So 4th gear to dyno tune on mopar?

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So he needs to do the tune in 3rd gear to get the most power? He told me he took it to 4th and maybe 5th cause he had it was up there he told me.
So 4th gear to dyno tune on mopar?
I’m gonna go get it tuned in 3rd, thanks man that’s a great piece of advice. I’m learning this stuff as I go and y’all have been a awesome help

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Does anyone have the above data vs a stock manifold? Curious…
Bottom of the article they compare the SRT manifolds to the truck manifolds,which is about as close as they come to comparing shorties to the stock manifolds