2012 1500 Cam issue... Repair or Rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott_C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all.

Thank you in advance for any responses / advice

I have a 2012 RAM 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi 200,000 KM

Well maintained

She starting running ruff and throwing codes and $1,000 Cdn (so ~$800 US) later on stuff that I did not need the dealer says #5 is down and she needs a new Cam and lifters. They want 6K to repair (Cam lifters labour and I guess new swimming pool for the shop) . Wow!

Anyway,

To start this weekend I will be checking it’s compression and pulling the valve cover off first as I do not trust what the Dealer is saying. Once I am convinced that she flattened a lobe I am looking at 2 options.

Option 1)

R + R the engine myself ( I have done around 20 engines so I am competent )

I will either send the engine to a machine shop for a rebuild or buy a long block from a reputable supplier.

First real Question, any “gotchas” that I should look out for when pulling the Hemi?

From what I can see online from others that after taking off the intake the removal process is the normal “classic” removed front grill rad…etc … detach the tranny Exhaust…etc .. Detach engine stuff…yada yada yada and lift crane it out the front.

Option 2)

In place Cam and lifter replacement.

I don’t have the manual for torque specs and Head Bolt tightening sequence along with a reference guide to make sure I don’t goof up the cam timing when re assembling. I am sure I will find this online but if anyone knows of a good source or even if anyone has a recommendation of a good manual I would invest a few bucks.

If I do this option I will need the parts and quite frankly this is where I am a bit stuck.

Who do I buy from and how do I get good quality parts. I do not want to invest this amount of time and wind up with the same problem in the future.

Does anyone know of Cam replacement Kit that would include all that I need Gaskets/Cam/Lifters and maybe new chain and tensioner ..etc or do I have to piece and buy this all separately? US supplier is fine as I ship my stuff to Ogdensburg NY ( < 1 hour away)

Again thank you

Scott

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello all.

Thank you in advance for any responses / advice

I have a 2012 RAM 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi 200,000 KM

Well maintained

She starting running ruff and throwing codes and $1,000 Cdn (so ~$800 US) later on stuff that I did not need the dealer says #5 is down and she needs a new Cam and lifters. They want 6K to repair (Cam lifters labour and I guess new swimming pool for the shop) . Wow!

Anyway,

To start this weekend I will be checking it’s compression and pulling the valve cover off first as I do not trust what the Dealer is saying. Once I am convinced that she flattened a lobe I am looking at 2 options.

Option 1)

R + R the engine myself ( I have done around 20 engines so I am competent )

I will either send the engine to a machine shop for a rebuild or buy a long block from a reputable supplier.

First real Question, any “gotchas” that I should look out for when pulling the Hemi?

From what I can see online from others that after taking off the intake the removal process is the normal “classic” removed front grill rad…etc … detach the tranny Exhaust…etc .. Detach engine stuff…yada yada yada and lift crane it out the front.

Option 2)

In place Cam and lifter replacement.

I don’t have the manual for torque specs and Head Bolt tightening sequence along with a reference guide to make sure I don’t goof up the cam timing when re assembling. I am sure I will find this online but if anyone knows of a good source or even if anyone has a recommendation of a good manual I would invest a few bucks.

If I do this option I will need the parts and quite frankly this is where I am a bit stuck.

Who do I buy from and how do I get good quality parts. I do not want to invest this amount of time and wind up with the same problem in the future.

Does anyone know of Cam replacement Kit that would include all that I need Gaskets/Cam/Lifters and maybe new chain and tensioner ..etc or do I have to piece and buy this all separately? US supplier is fine as I ship my stuff to Ogdensburg NY ( < 1 hour away)

Again thank you

Scott

Read Kurtis's excellent article on a cam swap.He's Calgary based,what part of Canada are you in?

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-hemi-cam-installation.82531/

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
200k km I'd probably trust the dealer your cam is done. You must have brought it on for a mis fire? I'm seeing non dealer mechanics charge around 3500, but your dealer is not far of at all as others, maybe even cheaper then some.

OP
OP
S

Scott_C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wild one... Wow!! yes Kurtis's post is dead on for my option 2...
it re-assured me that I know more then enough to do it myself and provided me some `Pro tips` that will same me time and potentially from making a silly mistake.

Thank You for replying
Scott
Ottawa Ontario
Canada

OP
OP
S

Scott_C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
200k km I'd probably trust the dealer your cam is done. You must have brought it on for a mis fire? I'm seeing non dealer mechanics charge around 3500, but your dealer is not far of at all as others, maybe even cheaper then some.

OP
OP
S

Scott_C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Burla

It went in due to poor performance codes and mainly a recall for the gas tank strap.
But yes now that you say it, the odd misfire.

Too cold here in Ottawa to diagnose in the driveway (Garage full of bikes and other toys) so they got the work.. I am pi$$ed that I let them do plugs and wires, as I optimistically thought that it would have fixed it.. at the time I was unaware that the 5.7 Hemi's are getting a reputation for cam / lifter issues.

When I pick it up tomorrow and before I drive it the 1 KM home I will get them to explain the 6K and repost.

Meanwhile I get to. Clean the garage (= wife happy) transfer a few motorbikes into covered trailer... finally get around to finishing hooking up the electric heaters in the garage and hide for a few days fixing my RAM.. maybe an odd scotch and cigar in there once a while...

OP
OP
S

Scott_C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update.. .

Removing the driver side valve cover we could see that #5 intake valve was only partially opening.
We did a compression and leak down test.
All passed green green green numbers.
Tore it down and yes, 1 roller seized up to took out the CAM.
Ordered non MDS cam and Hellcat lifters from MMX
We are almost done re assembly.
Heads are back on and now doing rocker lifters.

Hopefully finish this weekend.

Thank you all

Scott

OP
OP
S

Scott_C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is back up and running great, no issues in the past few weeks. Running stronger then ever.

With this https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-hemi-cam-installation.82531/ and watching some of the MMX videos was enough to guide me through that parts I was not familiar with.

Tool wise I purchased a $40 3 clawed puller for the balancer and I got a mid size torque wrench (My other two where scaled to high or not high enough)
Also, I managed to do this without dis-charging the A/C. there is enough room to get the CAM out with the condenser in place and while I was working on it I swung the compressor to the passenger side to get it and the lines out of the way..

Scott