2012 2500 RAM Non-Continous Crank & Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrrelic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I accidentally discounted my positive battery cable (instead of negative) for several days to do some work on the truck, and now it has intermediate cranking. Meaning that sometimes it will crank/turnover once, sometime three times, and sometimes not at all. No matter how many cycles the engine cranks over, it will not start. If I hold the key to start the truck will NOT continue to crank???
My scanner is giving me codes for the throttle body and gas pedal sensor. Both errors will not clear, and I have replaced both components. The scanner stated causes are either these two components or wiring or PCU. I checked all grounds and starter. Also replaced the battery and have kept it charged with a NOCO better maintainer.
The work done on the vehicle while the positive cable was discounted was changing the oil and replacing the stock air intake with a VR Air Grabber Ram Air Induction unit.
I have checked all fuses and relays. I am at a loss and would appreciate any suggestions.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I accidentally discounted my positive battery cable (instead of negative) for several days to do some work on the truck, and now it has intermediate cranking. Meaning that sometimes it will crank/turnover once, sometime three times, and sometimes not at all. No matter how many cycles the engine cranks over, it will not start. If I hold the key to start the truck will NOT continue to crank???
My scanner is giving me codes for the throttle body and gas pedal sensor. Both errors will not clear, and I have replaced both components. The scanner stated causes are either these two components or wiring or PCU. I checked all grounds and starter. Also replaced the battery and have kept it charged with a NOCO better maintainer.
The work done on the vehicle while the positive cable was discounted was changing the oil and replacing the stock air intake with a VR Air Grabber Ram Air Induction unit.
I have checked all fuses and relays. I am at a loss and would appreciate any suggestions.
Leaving a truck without power for a week should not be the cause of this issue. You have already put in a new battery and changed the items throwing the codes. For the next step I would put the stock air cleaner back on and see if this fixes it. If it doesn't, the next thing I would check is the starter. Even without starting, it should crank continuously.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Glad you found it. Amazing on the newer vehicles how often bad batteries, loose fuses and bad grounds are the cause of so many truly odd and hard to diagnose problems.